• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Marius

International Debutant
Time of year and Highvelders spending their extra dosh holidaying on the coast a myth ?
Not even the Gautengers can afford to go on holiday anymore... even if it is just down to the coast.
Jo'burg is still pretty empty over December, but it's not like the place is a ghost town in December. Also, lots of people rather go away in July, early December, or January. There'll be a good crowd for the Boxing Day Test I reckon.

SeamUp

International Coach
Ompie Ramela on twitter says the time is ripe for CSA to ask the king of SA white ball cricket Colin Ingram to come back in build up to the world cup.

kingkallis

International Coach
Amla
QdK
Markram
Du Plessis
Duminy/???
Miller
Bahardien/Jonker
Morris
Pehlunkwayo/Mulder
Rabada
Tahir

Doesnt look that bad.

Stefan9

International Debutant
1.Amla
2.Qdk
3.Faf
4.Markram
5.Miller
6.Duminy
7.Mulder
8.Phelekwayo
9.Kg
10.Steyn/Ngidi
11.Tahir

Odi team.

Test team probably between de bruyn and Mulder for the extra batting spot with bavuma moving up.

SeamUp

International Coach
Two players possibly to consider would be Elgar and Ingram.

But more likely those 12 above with Klaasen & Maharaj/Shamsi with maybe another frontline quick making up the 15 at this stage.

The exciting thing now for me is the A team really can't be carrying average joes or some of the older brigade anymore like it has been. Big time in SA cricket coming up moving forward without these senior players.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Ingram has to make himself available to be considered. At this stage he is still a Kolpak.

Don't think Elgar has any chance for the odI side for 2019.

Agreed with klaasen, Maharaj and one extra seamer being the 15. Guess seamer would probably be morris.

SeamUp

International Coach
We all know this won't be our greatest team ever going to a WC so no real expectations for me.

I want us to be the best fielding unit out there and to scrap (Faf, Markram, Miller, JP isn't the worst group of fielders is it)

Fearlessness of youth ie Klaasen, Markram, Mulder , Phehlukwayo, Ngidi, Rabada sprinkled in with experience of Hash, Faf, JP, Steyn.

Couple of crucial points for me.

Getting Quinton to free up again and not thinking about too many things including his form.

Whether Maharaj/Shamsi can step up and really make Tahir work hard to keep his WC spot.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
We all know this won't be our greatest team ever going to a WC so no real expectations for me.

I want us to be the best fielding unit out there and to scrap (Faf, Markram, Miller, JP isn't the worst group of fielders is it)

Fearlessness of youth ie Klaasen, Markram, Mulder , Phehlukwayo, Ngidi, Rabada sprinkled in with experience of Hash, Faf, JP, Steyn.

Couple of crucial points for me.

Getting Quinton to free up again and not thinking about too many things including his form.

Whether Maharaj/Shamsi can step up and really make Tahir work hard to keep his WC spot.
Honestly I don't want Duminy as part of the squad.... just lost all trust in him. Miller I`m on the fence about. Tahir worries me, he is not the bowler he was 3/4 years ago and I think he is being played far better be the oppostion lately, I think Shamsi may be a better bet at this stage.

SeamUp

International Coach
Honestly I don't want Duminy as part of the squad.... just lost all trust in him. Miller I`m on the fence about. Tahir worries me, he is not the bowler he was 3/4 years ago and I think he is being played far better be the oppostion lately, I think Shamsi may be a better bet at this stage.
I've been thinking for quite some time that I want Shamsi/Maharaj to be my 2 spinners for the WC. Probably won't happen though.

PS some press conference with Ottis Gibson on the go. Supposedly spoke about Elgar as an option.

SeamUp

International Coach
Fitness assessments this week. Gibson and selectors meet Thursday to pick the squad.

Talking tests

Mentions de Bruyn gets an opportunity to have a fair crack.
2 spinners are an option for Sri Lanka. Shamsi and von Berg name dropped.

Talking ODI's

Mentions guys like Elgar, Philander, Steyn are very much in the selectors thoughts for the world cup

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
We really need Amla for one last decent little run with the bat. Him at his best can ease the loss of AB a little.

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
Been away for a while guys. A nice little tour of SL coming up and I'm excited to see how our team shapes up. Never been a better time to take a punt on Mulder imo.

Man the AB retirement initially caught me by surprise but after a while I've come to the conclusion that he just wasn't up to tour anymore. I'm saddened that he is gone, but from a family perspective I understand him. No one ever made batting look that easy to me. Utterly ridiculous at times. I spent a good few hours in the nets trying to bat in the 'box' because of him haha

SeamUp

International Coach
Been away for a while guys. A nice little tour of SL coming up and I'm excited to see how our team shapes up. Never been a better time to take a punt on Mulder imo.

Man the AB retirement initially caught me by surprise but after a while I've come to the conclusion that he just wasn't up to tour anymore. I'm saddened that he is gone, but from a family perspective I understand him. No one ever made batting look that easy to me. Utterly ridiculous at times. I spent a good few hours in the nets trying to bat in the 'box' because of him haha
One thing about AB going is the balance between opportunity and not carrying batsmen.

We saw what happened against England in particular.

The next generation needs to stand up.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
One thing about AB going is the balance between opportunity and not carrying batsmen.

We saw what happened against England in particular.

The next generation needs to stand up.
Do you think any of the really young guys have an real opportunity to make it.... I'm thinking von Tonder and Breetke in particular? And what about Muthusamy?