• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
Central contracting only 18 players is very risky but cut-backs and all that.
But is there anyone else who really deserves a contract? Klaasen, Dala and Mulder are probably going to become regulars going forward, but it's too early right now to give them contracts, and De Bruyn has yet to establish himself in the side.

And looking at those who have lost their contracts, it's Behardien, Cook, Morkel, Parnell, and Phangiso. There might have been a case for Behardien still retaining his contract, but he does seem to have fallen out of favour, so is probably unlikely to play a major role going forward.

EDIT: See you covered some of those while I was typing this.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
But is there anyone else who really deserves a contract? Klaasen and Dala are probably going to become regulars going forward, but it may be a little too early right now to give them contracts.

And looking at those who have lost their contracts, it's Behardien, Cook, Morkel, Parnell, and Phangiso. There might have been a case for Behardien still retaining his contract, but he does seem to have fallen out of favour, so is probably unlikely to play a major role going forward.
Yeah , that is why I hope they haven't scrapped the Top-Up contracts they called it as they announced this squad and a High performance squad with central contracting last 2/3 years.

2017/18

CSA 'Top Up' Contracts (15):

Theunis de Bruyn (Knights), Reeza Hendricks (Highveld Lions), Heinrich Klaasen (Titans), Heino Kuhn (Titans), Sisanda Magala (Warriors), Aiden Markram (Titans), Mangaliso Mosehle (Highveld Lions), Lungi Ngidi (Titans), Duanne Olivier (Knights), Dane Paterson (Cape Cobras), Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras), Dwaine Pretorius (Highveld Lions), Omphile Ramela (Cape Cobras), Jason Smith (Cape Cobras), Khaya Zondo (Dolphins)

CSA High Performance squad (21): Marques Ackerman (North West), Mbulelo Budaza (Knights), Okuhle Cele (KZN), Toni de Zorzi (Titans), Leus du Plooy (Knights), Bjorn Fortuin (Highveld Lions), Clyde Fortuin (Warriors), Dayyaan Galiem (Cape Cobras), Zubayr Hamza (Cape Cobras), Dominic Hendricks (Highveld Lions), Simon Khomari (Cape Cobras), Patrick Kruger (Knights), George Linde (Cape Cobras), Sibonelo Makhanya (Dolphins), Karabo Mogotsi (Gauteng), Eddie Moore (Warriors), Tshepo Moreki (Cape Cobras), Wiaan Mulder (Highveld Lions), Lesiba Ngoepe (Warriors), Tshepo Ntuli (Knights), Lwandiswa Zuma (Dolphins).

Marius

International Debutant
Probably both... rumours are that Phehlukwayo played even though Gibson and Faf wanted de Bruyn to play at Wanderers. Phehlukwayo was very much an 'unexpected' choice....
So, on Saturday I was at Kingsmead and Errol Stewart and Andrew Hudson gave a lunchtime talk and afterwards I got a chance to chat to them. Stewart was a great guy and we had a long chat about transformation and cricket. He said that if it had been 1-1 at the Wanderers TDB would have played. He also said that the other selectors have categorically said that no black player will play unless he deserves to be there, so no outright 'quota' selections.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So, on Saturday I was at Kingsmead and Errol Stewart and Andrew Hudson gave a lunchtime talk and afterwards I got a chance to chat to them. Stewart was a great guy and we had a long chat about transformation and cricket. He said that if it had been 1-1 at the Wanderers TDB would have played. He also said that the other selectors have categorically said that no black player will play unless he deserves to be there, so no outright 'quota' selections.
This is pretty much the feeling I've got.... if there is genuine talent possibility with a black player he will be given every opportunity. But a quality talented player doing well regardless of colour will also be given opportunity.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I agree mate.

Right now they important for our depth.

Olivier will be playing for Kolpak merchants Derbyshire in the winter too.
de Bruyn definitely deserved a contract... Olivier, unfortunately has missed his boat. I think that the selectors will continue to look to the younger generation. du Pavilion if he continues to show good form, could be next in line.

SeamUp

International Coach
de Bruyn definitely deserved a contract... Olivier, unfortunately has missed his boat. I think that the selectors will continue to look to the younger generation. du Pavilion if he continues to show good form, could be next in line.
Just takes a few injuries. Dupavillon himself has had wretched time. Ngidi's past.

I am fine with 18 as long as there is communication (not been great at times) and the top up contracts are correct and still being done.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I think Morkel hasn't played his last game yet.

Get the feeling Wanderers may still be on the cards.
I think we will see Morkel play at the Wanderers as they'll probably drop Maharaj and go for an all-pace attack. If Steyn's not fit he'll play as there are only five quicks in the squad, and if Steyn is fit then it will be one final opportunity to have Steyn, Philander, Rabada, and Morkel play a test together (assuming Rabada is available).

SeamUp

International Coach
and/or if Rabada cops a ban....
I think we will see Morkel play at the Wanderers as they'll probably drop Maharaj and go for an all-pace attack. If Steyn's not fit he'll play as there are only five quicks in the squad, and if Steyn is fit then it will be one final opportunity to have Steyn, Philander, Rabada, and Morkel play a test together (assuming Rabada is available).
Very true.

Heard they worried that the Sunfoil Series game ends to close to the 3rd test for Steyn. Then it's the KG thing. I reckon he will get a test or 2 so lots of decisions to be made.

Unless de Bruyn pulls off a miracle will give Bavuma the next two tests but to me both need to go away with SA A in the winter and do lots of hard work. The Sri Lanka series may effect that though ?

Stefan9

International Debutant
If kg is suspended I want Mulder playing. If Steyn is playing just as security. In morkel's case cause I Don't think him alone offers enough firepower if kg is out.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely Steyn could have played a provincial/amateur game in the last week? Reports from the team doctor have seemed very positive, so not exactly sure what the hold up is.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Surely Steyn could have played a provincial/amateur game in the last week? Reports from the team doctor have seemed very positive, so not exactly sure what the hold up is.
https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Proteas/dale-steyn-on-track-for-newlands-return-20180306
He is meant to be playing in a 3-day FC match starting on Thursday...

If Steyn is ready and Rabada is out (likely!) then I would bring in Mulder and Steyn, dropping de Bruyn. Mulder has as much chance to score runs as de Bruyn it feels and his bowling will take pressure off the rest...

SeamUp

International Coach
Sunfoil Series game starts the 15th and ends the 18th.

Firstly he will need to bowl enough overs to prove his fitness and secondly not too many for him to be unavailable for the test. Tricky.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really agree but I'd probably pick him anyway if I was bringing Steyn in. It's always nice to have four seam options at Cape Town in general too.
It is harsh on de Bruyn. but he definitely has some technical defects that while he has not had much chance in the middle, he has been with the squad enough to at least look like he is making headway on those issues. It is very tough though.... and obviously with Bavuma possibly coming back? For me de Bruyn is the most likely next Kolpak deal... and I would not blame him.

And long term, if Mulder comes into the team like what is expected within the next 12 months, only way he or even Bavuma plays is if ABdV or Faf are injured, or don`t want to play, get rested.

Anyway at Newlands, we could probably just play Philander and Maharaj (for Smith) against the Aussies.....