• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
The only good thing about this from SA's POV I'd say is that none of these guys are ever likely to play for England. With the 7 year residency that the ECB implements on guys moving over the age of 18, means someone young like Ackermann will be 33 before he could play for England. And if Harmer or Vijoen or whoever become really good they'll just return back to SA on a bigger contract and go straight into the SA team. Du Plessis and Rudolph in the past have gone over to play in England as domestic players and still returned to SA cricket at a later date. Even though the ECB try and stop that there isn't much they can do iirc.

I don't know if the likes of Harmer etc can return to SA and play as domestic players during the SA season? or would they be classified as overseas and thus restricted to one (or zero) per team? If they can't play then that is a big problem as the standard is presumably already slipping with quotas- and will only fall further with this exodus.

From England's perspective I'd suggest all these players arriving is fairly neutral for our long term fortunes. It'll strengthen the first class game (especially div 2) bringing in a lot of near international quality cricketers which is a good thing. They won't be playing for England in all likelihood which is a bad thing if you've got dometic players who aren't eligible for selection. Many more and it would become a problem but looking down the squads and most first xis will only have 2 or 3(1 being overseas) non English available players selected on average.

The real problem for SA may be the guys who move before they reach 18 - and thus have only 4 years to serve a residency in the UK.

Marius

International Debutant
The only good thing about this from SA's POV I'd say is that none of these guys are ever likely to play for England. With the 7 year residency that the ECB implements on guys moving over the age of 18, means someone young like Ackermann will be 33 before he could play for England. And if Harmer or Vijoen or whoever become really good they'll just return back to SA on a bigger contract and go straight into the SA team. Du Plessis and Rudolph in the past have gone over to play in England as domestic players and still returned to SA cricket at a later date. Even though the ECB try and stop that there isn't much they can do iirc.

I don't know if the likes of Harmer etc can return to SA and play as domestic players during the SA season? or would they be classified as overseas and thus restricted to one (or zero) per team? If they can't play then that is a big problem as the standard is presumably already slipping with quotas- and will only fall further with this exodus.

From England's perspective I'd suggest all these players arriving is fairly neutral for our long term fortunes. It'll strengthen the first class game (especially div 2) bringing in a lot of near international quality cricketers which is a good thing. They won't be playing for England in all likelihood which is a bad thing if you've got dometic players who aren't eligible for selection. Many more and it would become a problem but looking down the squads and most first xis will only have 2 or 3(1 being overseas) non English available players selected on average.

The real problem for SA may be the guys who move before they reach 18 - and thus have only 4 years to serve a residency in the UK.
That's a good question about what a player's status is when he comes back to SA. As far as I know Colin INgram has gone Kolpak and he's still a regular for the Warriors in SA - not sure if he's playing as their 'overseas' player.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Our international players that have a real chance of playing for the country (not 3rd 4th choice) are staying but maybe doing stints in the countys. The big problem is the quality of our FC competition as the next tier down is leaving, along with quotas this can hurt us long term. SA have enough talent in the country to keep a good international team together, but it is the experience at FC level the players get. Already it is clear that it is only after players have done a good stint at SA 'A' will CSA give them consideration at international level. Players tend not to be picked straight out of the franchises.

Bahseph

State Captain
De Bruyn has to be next in line. We do need a middle order bat and Rilee is injured. Makes the most sense.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The only good thing about this from SA's POV I'd say is that none of these guys are ever likely to play for England. With the 7 year residency that the ECB implements on guys moving over the age of 18, means someone young like Ackermann will be 33 before he could play for England.
And even then he'd only be eligible if he took out UK citizenship in the meantime.

Unlike the union team which has selected chaps like Mo Botha and Hendre Foure solely based on residence, England's cricket side is only open to British and Irish citizens.

In theory at least, anyway; one understands the ECB chose to turn a blind eye to the fact Jade Dernbach was actually an Italian national when selected.

But he was so very, very good the fudge was understandable.:ph34r:

Stefan9

International Debutant
Our international players that have a real chance of playing for the country (not 3rd 4th choice) are staying but maybe doing stints in the countys. The big problem is the quality of our FC competition as the next tier down is leaving, along with quotas this can hurt us long term. SA have enough talent in the country to keep a good international team together, but it is the experience at FC level the players get. Already it is clear that it is only after players have done a good stint at SA 'A' will CSA give them consideration at international level. Players tend not to be picked straight out of the franchises.
Depend on the players talent. KG and QDK were picked pretty much from franchise level ( or youth cricket ala steyn & ab). The less talented have to do their turn of SA A tours.

SeamUp

International Coach
How are these selectors, CSA hierarchy and ANC buffoons going to deal with their new selection criteria ?

Amla (still back him), Duminy and Bavuma under the pump. AB, Rossouw, Theunis waiting in the wings.

Fighting to keep Abbott when he realises himself, Steyn, Morkel are fighting for one place when in fact Abbott, Philander, Rabada, Steyn and Morkel should be fighting for 3 ?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
How are these selectors, CSA hierarchy and ANC buffoons going to deal with their new selection criteria ?

Amla (still back him), Duminy and Bavuma under the pump. AB, Rossouw, Theunis waiting in the wings.

Fighting to keep Abbott when he realises himself, Steyn, Morkel are fighting for one place when in fact Abbott, Philander, Rabada, Steyn and Morkel should be fighting for 3 ?
As far as the bowlers go, my order would be Philander, Steyn, Abbott, Rabada, Morkel. I cant see Abbott not getting a place as it is difficult to belive that everybody will remain uninjured. Argument could be made that Parnell will get in-front for Philander as an allrounder.

Amla will drop himself before being dropped. Bavuma is probably the worst recent performer, but I would drop Duminy for Theunis next match. I`m tired of Duminy (currently in form) giving his wicket away, and he is not bowling. Theunis is a 3/4 batsmen and could actually do a great job there. Bavuma has shown promise and I would like to give him a really decent shot... and the reality (rightly/wrongly) is we need him to do well.

SeamUp

International Coach

Yeah spot on.

This has been happening.

Conor McKerr, Brad Wheal, Brydon Carse and Tom Curran the most high profile in recent times leaving at 18.

Just on a side you also get loads of these examples ; Brad Hope who left for Australia two years ago and is in the Aus u19 side and WA 2nd XI at 17. It may be perceived it was the father that got the opportunity but I've got it on good authority a major reason they did it was for Hope's cricketing talent to be given the best opportunities.

Talented Bradley in College 1st team at 14 | News24

Hope for College cricket | News24

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Can we safely say our schools will still produce good cricketers even with qoutas everywhere? The school system doesn't seem affected so far.

SeamUp

International Coach
Can we safely say our schools will still produce good cricketers even with qoutas everywhere? The school system doesn't seem affected so far.
There isn't any quotas really at school level which is the positive. The schools with the most cricketing culture have a wide variety in skin colour and cultures now too which is great and needed time.

You would like to think we can still produce players from school level but since Ray Jennings was forced to leave the SA u19s after winning the u19 CWC our u19s have been embarrassed on a tour to England, embarrassed v Bangladesh and embarrassed in the U19 CWC where we came like 11th and were beaten by Zimbabwe & Namibia.

Marius

International Debutant
Just thinking on the Kolpak story, maybe it's not terrible for some of our cricketers, if they spend some time in county cricket, bowling on different wickets and playing cricket often, honing their skills etc. This will only benefit them if they decide to come back to SA once their contract is up.

If I remember right, Paul Harris and Faf both had spells as Kolpak players before playing for SA.

Marius

International Debutant
I guess parnell is next in line as he is/was the reserve in the squad.
Yeah, but I'm not sure they'll go for him. They might do a like-for-like replacement?

How fast is Parnell bowling these days anyway? He used to have a bit of gas and in the ODIs he's played recently he looked like he was getting it through pretty quickly.

SeamUp

International Coach
Moving forward with no Abbott and series to New Zealand and England that would have been right up his alley.

Philander
Rabada
Morkel
Parnell
Morris/Olivier

That is for New Zealand ?

Other options : Starting latest round of Sunfoil series and eligible for selection [Not starting due to selection or injury]

COBRAS : Paterson, Moreki [B.Hendricks, Galiem, Williams, Muller, Glover]
WARRIORS : Birch, Walters , Magala [ Bokako, Nortje, Gqamane, Sigwili]
DOLPHINS : Shezi, Alexander, Frylinck , Phehlukwayo, Savage [ Dupavillon, Engelbrecht, Cele]
KNIGHTS : Dry , Zuma , Van Schalkwyk [De Lange, Du Preez, Budaza]
LIONS : D.Pretorius , Myoli [McGillivray, Jamison, Pongolo, Dudgeon, Le Roux]
TITANS : Ngidi , Dala , Siboto [Richards, Hawken, M.Pretorius]

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
To be fair, fast bowling is the area losing a player even as good as Abbott will likely not hurt you greatly. Fantastic battery of pace.

RR was obviously starting to play excellently in ODIs, however rest of your batting looks strong at the moment so should be able to weather the loss.