• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

GRAB

First Class Debutant
If they play Morris he should be 8. If Philander is too high at 7, Morris definitely is...

Bahseph

State Captain
I think Morris has a higher ceiling than Philander as a Test batsman but there's not much to choose between the two of them now IMO.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Markram in race to be fit for Wanderers Test - ESPNcricinfo

They suggest Bavuma as a stopgap opener, but that really isn't ideal for him; neither would de Bruyn as a stopgap. In terms of actual openers, who would be in with a shout? Back to Kuhn or Cook (lol)? Reeza Hendricks has been spotty and looked far from tight enough to be a test opener... Eddie Moore and Sarel Erwee have both been having excellent seasons (with Moore missing most of the limited overs due to the nature of the Warriors make-up) - with 3 and 2 franchise centuries - but picking someone straight from franchise into test matches has not happened for a while, with it considered to be too big a jump.

SeamUp

International Coach
That's a tough one.

I'm not big in playing middle order players as openers but in this case I'm tempted to go with Temba or Theunis

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Having to use make shift openers at Wanderers is not good... but calling in somebody like Cook is just not fair either. Hiding to nothing.

SeamUp

International Coach
It's actually something I have been thinking about and was going to mention it after the summer was finished and what is the A side looking like.

Just think we currently well short of quality in openers.

Kuhn & Cook have had very good FC careers and it was hard work. Along with Puttick they put the hard yards in for the A side and their time is coming up.

I'm a Reeza Hendricks fan but he just blows so hot and cold. He probably is the right age to be the leader of the next group of openers for the A side but limited overs cricket is probably his stronger form now.

The rest are average.

Think in time we may have another batch with Rickelton, Pillay, Breetzke (kind of hoping he turns into one of our 3-5 kingpins though as he has all the strokes)

Rasimione

U19 Captain
It's actually something I have been thinking about and was going to mention it after the summer was finished and what is the A side looking like.

Just think we currently well short of quality in openers.

Kuhn & Cook have had very good FC careers and it was hard work. Along with Puttick they put the hard yards in for the A side and their time is coming up.

I'm a Reeza Hendricks fan but he just blows so hot and cold. He probably is the right age to be the leader of the next group of openers for the A side but limited overs cricket is probably his stronger form now.

The rest are average.

Think in time we may have another batch with Rickelton, Pillay, Breetzke (kind of hoping he turns into one of our 3-5 kingpins though as he has all the strokes)
Janneman Malan?

SeamUp

International Coach
Here's a question.

We only have Sr Lanka away in 2018 before India away in 2019.

Clearly has to be our preparation tour.

With all our quicks do we look to go 2 spinners ? Do we take 3 spinners. Are we even in a position to do this as we took Harmer/Piedt last time and does von Berg/Shamsi add something as wrist spinners to Kesh.

After seeing what Kohli said, I kind of hope planning and preparing starts soon after Australia.

We will also need our senior batsman do give that one last push and we know its our best shot that they play - particularly Amla, AB

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Here's a question.

We only have Sr Lanka away in 2018 before India away in 2019.

Clearly has to be our preparation tour.

With all our quicks do we look to go 2 spinners ? Do we take 3 spinners. Are we even in a position to do this as we took Harmer/Piedt last time and does von Berg/Shamsi add something as wrist spinners to Kesh.

After seeing what Kohli said, I kind of hope planning and preparing starts soon after Australia.

We will also need our senior batsman do give that one last push and we know its our best shot that they play - particularly Amla, AB
We take 3 spinners.... Maharaj, von Berg and one other, maybe Piedt?

SeamUp

International Coach
We take 3 spinners.... Maharaj, von Berg and one other, maybe Piedt?
Yeah I think those are the 3 favourites. Do you take 5 quicks and 3 spinners then. That should be fine over load ?

This time we will have a better idea of what is coming but it doesn't mean we will stop it but at least preparation will be even more intense.

PS von Berg needs to be put on a diet plan now :D

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Only need to take 4 quicks. If we are playing Maharaj and von Berg (even Piedt) extends the batting enough. Morris probably not needed.

Assuming no injuries:
Elgar
Markram
Amla
ABdV
Faf
QDK
Philander
von Berg
Maharaj
Rabada
Steyn

Morkel, Piedt, Bavuma, de Bruyn, Klaasens/Fortuin?