• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
I think it depends what caused Steyn's injury. Reports suggest that it's as a result of him landed awkwardly in the foot holes, so that would be a case of really bad luck rather than his body giving way.
As long as Steyn feels his career is not yet over, who is anyone else to say "that's it now, he's done" or whatever.

The guy clearly is incredibly motivated to play Test cricket having battled through all these injuries, and I'm sure he'll get over this one as well. When he's back, he'll be selected, and rightly so.
This.

SeamUp

International Coach
Agreed. But it's risky business; as they may not come back... (Although Brexit hopefully will bury that Kolpak loophole!) Van Buuren and Klein look to have permanently relocated from last year. Klein was a gun in 2nd team, but his first team performances were atrocious and so was I guess frustrated.
Hopefully they get communication of where they stand so they can remain patient.

There was an article on Sport24 about this loophole still potentially being exploited the other day.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Dale has confirmed it was just landing badly on a foothole.

Says 6 weeks is nothing compared to being out for a year. Hopes to be back in time for Aus.

This was from a post game interview.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm still trying to understand how it occurred though. It's not a twisted ankle, more like a damaged heel. Just landing on a foothole caused that?

Stefan9

International Debutant
I'm still trying to understand how it occurred though. It's not a twisted ankle, more like a damaged heel. Just landing on a foothole caused that?
He said he decided to bowl from a wider angle and landed on the side of the foothole. Then when he tried the next ball it was too sore.

Really terrible luck.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Ngidi's inclusion might be so that Gibson gets a chance to work with him rather than actually being in contention for selection. Unless something dramatic happens, he will make the test side at some point, so there's nothing wrong with bringing him into the team environment as long as it ends up being beneficial to the development of his game.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
But please, let some of that squad off to play the weekend Momentum Cup games... Game time, any game time is important! Two or three of Phehlukwayo, de Bruyn, Morris, and Bavuma should've been playing One Day Cup to keep their match reflexes honed. Esp, Phehlukwayo and Morris who are needed for the coming ODI's...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Ngidi's inclusion might be so that Gibson gets a chance to work with him rather than actually being in contention for selection. Unless something dramatic happens, he will make the test side at some point, so there's nothing wrong with bringing him into the team environment as long as it ends up being beneficial to the development of his game.
The fact they added both in, I agree this is probably it.... but honestly I would not mind if Ngidi was part of a 4-man pace attack. He has a much higher ceiling tha Olivier and is the obvious long term international bowler. It would just be very unfair on Olivier who has bowled well for a number of years now and done nothing wrong.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
But please, let some of that squad off to play the weekend Momentum Cup games... Game time, any game time is important! Two or three of Phehlukwayo, de Bruyn, Morris, and Bavuma should've been playing One Day Cup to keep their match reflexes honed. Esp, Phehlukwayo and Morris who are needed for the coming ODI's...
Agree. Phehlukwayo and de Bruyn should be let go once the team has been picked. Bavuma and Morris (picked or not) should stay with the squad.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
The fact they added both in, I agree this is probably it.... but honestly I would not mind if Ngidi was part of a 4-man pace attack. He has a much higher ceiling tha Olivier and is the obvious long term international bowler. It would just be very unfair on Olivier who has bowled well for a number of years now and done nothing wrong.
What's the odds of a four man pace attack of Philander, Morkel, Rabada and Morris with Phehlukwayo coming in for Maharaj to sort of balance the batting equation?

Bahseph

State Captain
What's the odds of a four man pace attack of Philander, Morkel, Rabada and Morris with Phehlukwayo coming in for Maharaj to sort of balance the batting equation?
I don't think they will go with five pace bowlers. Morris has proven himself more with the bat in Tests than Lucky so I have a feeling he just comes in for Steyn for the next game. Might be more changes come the Wanderers.

SeamUp

International Coach
Great news for the two young quicks. Again it's nice to have variation. Whilst both are tall they go about their business in different ways. Ngidi generally seams it in to right-handers hitting the pitch with an easy run-up whilst Olivier runs in hard and looks to push the batsman back and then look for swing pitching it up.

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
Rebuilding 80`s WI with the SA speedsters? Gibson nostalgia?
I like that he has a clear plan. Domingo didn't seem to bring his own approach, more carried on from what was put in place.

If Mulder can nail down the spot at 6/7 and Lucky can improve his all-round game I think we will have lots of options going forward.

One thing I'd like is more intensity from all the players. No more runouts like Maharaj especially.