• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Stefan9

International Debutant
Steyn has now been omitted from both the semis and finals of the ramslam...this looks injury related.
More likely to do with team balance. How do they get him now with morris fit considering the quota requirements. Morkel was also left out.

SeamUp

International Coach
If all goes to plan for the next 2 years there will be some players warming the bench often.

Would really love some of the capped players like Bavuma, de Bruyn, Phehlukwayo and Olivier to play County Cricket.

Possibly 1 or 2 others who get caps moving fwd.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
If all goes to plan for the next 2 years there will be some players warming the bench often.

Would really love some of the capped players like Bavuma, de Bruyn, Phehlukwayo and Olivier to play County Cricket.

Possibly 1 or 2 others who get caps moving fwd.
Agreed. But it's risky business; as they may not come back... (Although Brexit hopefully will bury that Kolpak loophole!) Van Buuren and Klein look to have permanently relocated from last year. Klein was a gun in 2nd team, but his first team performances were atrocious and so was I guess frustrated.

Bahseph

State Captain
Serious question now fellow Saffas, is it time we realized Steyns body is done? The skill is there. The pace is there. The enthusiasm is there. But he has finished one full game in about three years. Think it was the second NZ match.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I think it depends what caused Steyn's injury. Reports suggest that it's as a result of him landed awkwardly in the foot holes, so that would be a case of really bad luck rather than his body giving way.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As long as Steyn feels his career is not yet over, who is anyone else to say "that's it now, he's done" or whatever.

The guy clearly is incredibly motivated to play Test cricket having battled through all these injuries, and I'm sure he'll get over this one as well. When he's back, he'll be selected, and rightly so.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
As long as Steyn feels his career is not yet over, who is anyone else to say "that's it now, he's done" or whatever.

The guy clearly is incredibly motivated to play Test cricket having battled through all these injuries, and I'm sure he'll get over this one as well. When he's back, he'll be selected, and rightly so.
This.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I'm no longer sure he'll be selected when he comes back.

MediumFast

Cricket Spectator
Serious question now fellow Saffas, is it time we realized Steyns body is done? The skill is there. The pace is there. The enthusiasm is there. But he has finished one full game in about three years. Think it was the second NZ match.
I think so. Watching him hobble of the field yesterday was heartbreaking and frustrating. There is no reason why he can't try and make the CW2019 squad and play T20 competitions around the world.
We are lucky that his direct replacement Rabada is as good as he is.

Stefan9

International Debutant
I think so. Watching him hobble of the field yesterday was heartbreaking and frustrating. There is no reason why he can't try and make the CW2019 squad and play T20 competitions around the world.
We are lucky that his direct replacement Rabada is as good as he is.
Except that he is a much better test bowler then a white ball bowler.

Bahseph

State Captain
I'm probably the biggest Steyn fan ever so I want to see him back. Hopefully it's not a bad injury. Want him to have the record so badly.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Just no. We have Lungi Ngidi who is class already.
Olivier probably stays first pick as an out and out bowler for now, Ngidi will probably be phased in by end of the year though Agree on Paterson just not good enough as a red ball bowler..... I can also see Mulder getting into the team sooner rather than later if Morris does not work out.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Olivier probably stays first pick as an out and out bowler for now, Ngidi will probably be phased in by end of the year though Agree on Paterson just not good enough as a red ball bowler..... I can also see Mulder getting into the team sooner rather than later if Morris does not work out.
Morris is so frustrating. When he gets it right he's devastating but at test level he somehow seems not to know what his role is. I recon he we might be better served using him the Mitchell Johnson way.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Morris is so frustrating. When he gets it right he's devastating but at test level he somehow seems not to know what his role is. I recon he we might be better served using him the Mitchell Johnson way.
Been like that most of his career. Has talent, just not consistency. I`m liking more and more the idea of Mulder getting into the squad.

Particularly with the reality that we will probably always have an injury between Steyn/Morkel/Philander nowadays. Think Steyn may just play the Aus series and then retire (heart-broken about that!) He is not needed for the SL series and probably not for the Pak series. He will probably want to compete and try get back into the ODI team for the WC.

The other player I'm really starting to worry about is Hash... I keep wanting him to do well and turn around his form but he is disappointing me and I think we have some young batting talent that needs exposure at Test level. Nothing yet but maybe within 18 months.