cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 54 of 204 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
Like Tree566Likes

Thread: South Africa team selection

Just a little worrying Davids and Cook are being selected for SA A at their age.

The easy answer is the lack of exposure to top level cricket for enough of our young players.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

LAMB c KOURIE b RICE

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    I agree with Seam Up here, recall Cook and let Markram have another season of franchise stuff.

I see in the Cricinfo article on the S.A. A side selection Ramela was referred to as a Cobra. I tweeted Moonda to let her know that he's gone to the Lions with a link, and she blocked me.

:/

You could have got a lot more off your chest to earn a block.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan9 View Post
    I would play markram. Enough with the Stop gaps that go nowhere.
    I still don't understand what we trying to accomplish by hiding Makram. This stop gap policy of selecting Kuhn and Cook hasn't worked and with their ages I fear they'll never improve. De Kock, Rabada and De Villiers were backed in their youth why not Makram?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasimione View Post
    I still don't understand what we trying to accomplish by hiding Makram. This stop gap policy of selecting Kuhn and Cook hasn't worked and with their ages I fear they'll never improve. De Kock, Rabada and De Villiers were backed in their youth why not Makram?
    Playing devils advocate, because I think they should be playing Markram.
    I think the argument is he has not had enough exposure at FC in decent competition. ABdV in particular, but even QDK and Rabada played for a full season or two at FC and SA 'A' level first, in what was a more competitive environment. With the current restrictions at FC level it took Markram a year or 2 longer to get a consistent place at FC level and the competition is not as good, so he may not quite be ready and he may need an extra year. Obviously every opportunity is being given to him to get that experience.
    He is playing the SA 'A' tours and we play Bangladesh in a few months so that might be a good time to blood him, we shall have to see what the new coach decides?
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    He is playing the SA 'A' tours and we play Bangladesh in a few months so that might be a good time to blood him, we shall have to see what the new coach decides?
    I don't think picking Cook and Kuhn ahead of Markram were bad decisions. I don't know if he was even playing franchise cricket regularly when Cook was picked, but I suspect not, and Kuhn did outscore him on the South Africa A tour, so they went for the man in form, which is reasonable. But since Kuhn didn't pan out I definitely think we should be playing Markram against Bangladesh, as harsh as it may be on Kuhn.

And I suppose there's also the question of whether we blood any other new players against Bangladesh or do we let the other newcomers to the test side (De Bruyn, Olivier, and Morris) have a few more matches? The problem has been that none of the players who came into the team have really produced the goods, so while showing faith in them isn't a bad thing, it's always about how much faith should be shown in them. The selection of all them was justified by their performances at lower levels, but not every player is able to make the step up to tests, so maybe unfortunately they happen to be players who can't.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Gibbs, the guy who was involved in the biggest fixing scandal in cricket history, accusing AB of "disrespecting the game":

https://twitter.com/hershybru/status/895886234182201344
    honestbharani and _Ed_ like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

SA A 250/2 (77.2 ov, DA Miller 68*, SC Cook 112*, V Shankar 0/22) - Live | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
    Cook sticks a middle finger up at SA selection after the England series...

honestbharani likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Heboric View Post
    Offers are not the same as acceptance... probably determined by what the new coaching staff is like, money is normally about the same as a CSA contract but more guaranteed. I am sure he been chased for years. Just cross fingers and hope for the best.
    Heboric likes this.

International Coach
    Would be surprised if he leaves, maybe in 12 months as county offers will still be there and Brexit still being negotiated.

Paul Newman‏Verified account @Paul_NewmanDM 4m4 minutes ago
    More
    Really worrying for South African cricket to hear suggestions that Hashim Amla and Morne Morkel might become Kolpaks....

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Paul Newman‏Verified account @Paul_NewmanDM 4m4 minutes ago
    More
    Really worrying for South African cricket to hear suggestions that Hashim Amla and Morne Morkel might become Kolpaks....
    If Amla and Morkel go... we are ****ed for the next 5 years at least. Because I can't see Faf hanging around for long. Probably have to bring Duminy back into the side! Poor Otis Gibson he would be on a hiding to nothing straight away.
    SeamUp likes this.

Seems like a lot of disgruntlement and it has been there for a while really and Domingo going has hit Amla. They forced the captaincy on him and that period din't go down well either. He is struggling to score test centuries at the moment but we still need him.

Morkel could go. Who knows with Dale. Vern has been County hot property for ages & was supposedly close to signing kolpak after WC debacle with Abbott.

We up **** street here with a weak domestic system when people messed around with it when it was highly successful.

It is not only England’s Premiership football clubs that are currently actively involved in the transfer market, but so too the cricket counties, who are looking to land the prized scalp of Hashim Amla on a Kolpak deal.

Independent Media understands that South Africa’s star batsman has been approached by various counties, among them a London club, to prolong his playing career on the English county circuit.

It has already been reported that Proteas fast bowler Morné Morkel has been lined up by Warwickshire, among others, to follow the likes of Hampshire duo Kyle Abbott and Rilee Rossouw, Stiaan van Zyl (Sussex) and Dane Vilas (Lancashire), who have all recently forgone their international careers in favour of lucrative long-term county contracts.

While they are all significant losses – or potentially in Morkel’s case – to the national team’s cause, none are even comparable to Amla’s stature should the 34-year-old retire from international cricket.

Amla is the premier batsman in the Proteas Test side, having accumulated 8 281 runs in 107 Tests at an average of 49.00.

The former Test skipper also holds the record for the highest score (311 not out) by a South African in the five-day arena.

In addition, he has 7 186 runs in 156 ODI matches at an average of 50.25 and is also the fastest to reach 2 000, 3 000, 4 000, 5 000, 6 000 and 7 000 ODI runs after recently breaking Virat Kohli’s record.

Amla has previously stated that he still has the desire to have one final crack at the 2019 World Cup in England with the Proteas, which is still two years away though, when he will be 36.

However, Amla would no doubt have given serious thought to pursuing a Kolpak deal after the recent failed England tour.

The Proteas Test side are in a state of transition, with current England bowling coach Ottis Gibson reportedly set to take over from Russell Domingo as the new South African head coach shortly.

Although Amla is known to be a keen supporter of Gibson’s coaching style, it is well-documented that he developed a strong bond with Domingo over the years, often saying “the coaching staff has been as good a coaching staff that I’ve had in all my years of playing”.

With Domingo likely to exit the national team, Amla could view this period as the ideal time for a fresh start for him too.

Equally, the less-pressurised environment of county cricket could be attractive to Amla at this stage of his career.

Not only does he have a young family to consider – with a third child having been born recently – but the Proteas Test opening combination is also not functioning at the moment.

This has routinely forced Amla to virtually open the innings and play in a role that goes against his natural attacking abilities, which has led to a profound impact on his success over the last couple of years and Amla’s own high-level performances dropping as a result.

Proteas legend Allan Donald recently pleaded with Morkel not to sign a Kolpak deal, begging Cricket South Africa to “give him what he wants” because “we need him this summer”.

With powerhouses such as India and Australia set to visit South African shores this home summer, expect similar talks to be had with Amla over the course of the next few weeks in the CSA boardrooms.

The only consolation for CSA may be that Amla has committed to the T20 Global League, where he is currently the marquee player of the Kingsmead-based Durban Qalandars.

The new competition is set to begin in November.

Amla has previously enjoyed county stints as an overseas player for Essex – near London – and Surrey, particularly enjoying his time at the latter due to the “vibe” and “atmosphere” at The Oval in the southern parts of the British capital.

State Vice-Captain
    Dale has declared himself fit again. Also moved back to the titans.

Thread Information