• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
There is no 4-day cricket to build up for the test summer so really not ideal.

50-over comp starts 20 December and runs through the India test season.

Wonder how many players in the Proteas team will be used in the warm-up game rather.

SeamUp

International Coach
Was just looking. If Amla, Faf, AB, Philander, Steyn, Morkel, are retiring in around 2019 due to CWC what test series do they have left?

Home : Zimbabwe (1)
Home : India (3)
Home : Australia (4)

Away : Sri Lanka (3)

Home : Pakistan (3)
Home : Sri Lanka (3)

ICC CRICKET WORLD CUP 2019

Away : Zimbabwe (2)
Away : India (4)

Home : England (5)

Wonder if the final stretch will be after the world cup to end with 2 marquee series.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Was just looking. If Amla, Faf, AB, Philander, Steyn, Morkel, are retiring in around 2019 due to CWC what test series do they have left?

Home : India (3)
Home : Australia (4)

Away : Sri Lanka (3)

Home : Pakistan (3)
Home : Sri Lanka (3)

ICC CRICKET WORLD CUP 2019

Away : Zimbabwe (2)
Away : India (4)

Home : England (5)

Wonder if the final stretch will be after the world cup to end with 2 marquee series.
I was surprised to see no NZ in there (was looking yesterday!) I wonder if the performance at the WC will determine them playing on... if we get knocked out again they may just not want to continue and move on with life.

SeamUp

International Coach
I was surprised to see no NZ in there (was looking yesterday!) I wonder if the performance at the WC will determine them playing on... if we get knocked out again they may just not want to continue and move on with life.
Think you right.

Just can't see themselves pushing on if it is a major disappointment. They may skip Zim but still may not be keen. Obviously lots of cricket before then to.

Of course Vern is a different story as he won't be going for sure.

SeamUp

International Coach
Bavuma, de Villiers, Morris, Steyn to play against Zim in 3-day warm up game in Paarl from 20 December.

Not sure what this means for Morkel.

“Chris and Dale both missed the first five rounds of the Sunfoil Series through injury while AB was only available for one match,” commented Cricket South Africa (CSA) National Selection Panel convener Linda Zondi.

“This is an ideal opportunity for all three to get back into the multi-day arena.

“Temba only got limited batting time during the Sunfoil Test Series against Bangladesh because of the dominance of our top order and we feel he will benefit from spending more time in the middle.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Isn't morkel still injured?
Supposedly will be fit by SF stage in Ram Slam but unlikely to be picked without game time behind him. There was talk of a Northerns 3-day game or maybe because he had bowling behind him 2 games in the 50-over comp for Titans may just be alright.

SeamUp

International Coach
Cricinfo article states Morkel to return later in the summer despite being seen bowling in the Newlands nets ?

Is that right ?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo article states Morkel to return later in the summer despite being seen bowling in the Newlands nets ?

Is that right ?
Not to sure if he will play, but I can imagine them being cautious with all the bowler injuries recently. Probably see how Morris and/or Bavuma comes off in the warm-up game before deciding on Morkel making the team.

Is Faf on his way back yet? I'm starting to get very suspicious of how either Faf or ABdV have been conveniently injured/ taking a break keeping Bavuma in the team.... probably my cynical nature coming through again.

SeamUp

International Coach
Not to sure if he will play, but I can imagine them being cautious with all the bowler injuries recently. Probably see how Morris and/or Bavuma comes off in the warm-up game before deciding on Morkel making the team.

Is Faf on his way back yet? I'm starting to get very suspicious of how either Faf or ABdV have been conveniently injured/ taking a break keeping Bavuma in the team.... probably my cynical nature coming through again.
:D In this case your cynicism may be correct. Think its pretty clear. Bavuma or Morris depending on team formula they prefer.

Nothing on Faf yet. Would assume come back for the Titans. But you right. An update would be nice as he is our captain.

SeamUp

International Coach
Got an answer on Morkel

Fast bowler Morné Morkel will be available for selection this week, which will give Boucher an opportunity to rest any of his pacemen who may be carrying niggles. Dale Steyn will be playing close to home in the PPC Newlands clash against the Cobras, but may well miss the trip to Durban, resting up so he can give it his all in the knockout games.

Bahseph

State Captain
Something in me makes me think that we are going to see Bavuma and Phelukwayo in the Boxing day Test. With Faf back for the India series and potentially Morkel as well.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Something in me makes me think that we are going to see Bavuma and Phelukwayo in the Boxing day Test. With Faf back for the India series and potentially Morkel as well.
Probably... can see them using this as a warm-up with giving people a run to maybe make the team.

Elgar, Markram, Amla, ABdV, Bavuma, QDK, Morris, Phehlukwayo, Maharaj, Rabada, Steyn... something like that. The whole selection comes down to that 7 spot. Batsmen, All Rounder, Bowler?

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Probably... can see them using this as a warm-up with giving people a run to maybe make the team.

Elgar, Markram, Amla, ABdV, Bavuma, QDK, Morris, Phehlukwayo, Maharaj, Rabada, Steyn... something like that. The whole selection comes down to that 7 spot. Batsmen, All Rounder, Bowler?
Vern should be back bowling in the coming days.