• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

State Captain
As pedestrian as Pretorious looks I'd back him to give me 10 solid overs every game than say a Parnell/Morris.

Just thinking about the ODI bowling options, only Rabada and Tahir are locks. I'd throw Morne in there as I've always rated him as a good ODI bowler. That leaves about two places. Someone has to stand up.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Assuming no injuries, In all likelyhood it will be Rabada, Morkel, Morris, Phehlukwayo, Tahir.... good opportunites for Ngidi, du Pavilion and Mulder to get into the team as well. Long run none of the others are good enough. Steyn obviously wants to play, but we might try keep his careers going for the Tests.

SeamUp

International Coach
Assuming no injuries, In all likelyhood it will be Rabada, Morkel, Morris, Phehlukwayo, Tahir.... good opportunites for Ngidi, du Pavilion and Mulder to get into the team as well. Long run none of the others are good enough. Steyn obviously wants to play, but we might try keep his careers going for the Tests.
Been very noticeable the chances young bowlers are getting in Sunfoil : Cohen, Nortje, Pretorius, Bosch etc

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Been very noticeable the chances young bowlers are getting in Sunfoil : Cohen, Nortje, Pretorius, Bosch etc
Definite emphasis on the younger generation, even with the batting now.... the 20 odd year olds with potential are getting their shot to shine.

Outside Zondo I cannot see SA picking guys in the 27-32 range unless showing sudden remarkable form, even then. I think we have lost that generation to kolpak etc and having a relatively stable team... With AB coming back it is almost impossible as a batsmen to get into the test team at the moment... A few opportunities for the young bowlers with Philander, Morkel and Steyn showing their age. SA definietly looking at the younger generation now

SeamUp

International Coach
As pedestrian as Pretorious looks I'd back him to give me 10 solid overs every game than say a Parnell/Morris.

Just thinking about the ODI bowling options, only Rabada and Tahir are locks. I'd throw Morne in there as I've always rated him as a good ODI bowler. That leaves about two places. Someone has to stand up.
Against better batting line-ups and true-r pitches Pretorius has showed he needed a bit more previously.

Whilst I agree Parnell & Morris are erratic I think I share the views with Dendarii above on them. Until more perfect packages come along.

SeamUp

International Coach
Definite emphasis on the younger generation, even with the batting now.... the 20 odd year olds with potential are getting their shot to shine.

Outside Zondo I cannot see SA picking guys in the 27-32 range unless showing sudden remarkable form, even then. I think we have lost that generation to kolpak etc and having a relatively stable team... With AB coming back it is almost impossible as a batsmen to get into the test team at the moment... A few opportunities for the young bowlers with Philander, Morkel and Steyn showing their age. SA definietly looking at the younger generation now
Definite battle on right now.

Smith
Hamza
Du Plooy
Mulder

Seemed the preferred but Smith is going through so many struggles. Smith has had a few opps and A games and struggled to step up.

As opposed to guys like Hamza, Breetzke, du Plooy & Mulder who have got opps against touring teams and A games for some and stood up.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Definite battle on right now.

Smith
Hamza
Du Plooy
Mulder

Seemed the preferred but Smith is going through so many struggles. Smith has had a few opps and A games and struggled to step up.

As opposed to guys like Hamza, Breetzke, du Plooy & Mulder who have got opps against touring teams and A games for some and stood up.
Smith just not standing up, he is gonna have to do a lot to get in front of anybody in that list...

GRAB

First Class Debutant
In the 27+ category, Rudi Second is still making himself very difficult to ignore, although competing against QdK and Klaasen as a keeper and not really too many spaces in batting line-up either as noted. A couple of injuries and suddenly things are wide open again...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn aims for November comeback - ESPNcricinfo

Nice little article... Steyn sounds pretty eager.

"When I originally broke the bone, I also tore my bicep tendon, my pec and a muscle at the back called the infraspinatus. That's three muscles that ruptured when I broke that bone. So the bone took a while to heal and strengthen but then those muscles took a long time to recover. That's why it took so long and then when I started to bowl, typical me, I was trying to go from 0 to 100 quickly and I injured a pec. We are finally at a point where everything is strong, now it's a case don't do anything stupid."

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kind of a shame we couldn't catch SA at their weakest, but it wouldn't be the same. Really excited at the prospect of Steyn and AB back in tests for hopefully one last successful run.

SeamUp

International Coach
Was watching ICC cricket 360 now.

Loved the interview with Faf. Speaks about growing up with AB. Different primary schools but then arrived at Affies together and shared the same hostel and both got into the first team in Grade 8 (14 years old). faf used to follow AB travelling the world but they both so proud of the journey they on together and they will finish it together. On that he basically acknowledges these next 2 years will end in the WC swansong for the majority of the 7 of them in the 32-34 age bracket.

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
Was watching ICC cricket 360 now.

Loved the interview with Faf. Speaks about growing up with AB. Different primary schools but then arrived at Affies together and shared the same hostel and both got into the first team in Grade 8 (14 years old). faf used to follow AB travelling the world but they both so proud of the journey they on together and they will finish it together. On that he basically acknowledges these next 2 years will end in the WC swansong for the majority of the 7 of them in the 32-34 age bracket.
Yeah post 2019 World Cup will be very interesting times.

This strangely is the downside of a relatively stable team over a longish period

Tom Flint

International Regular
Lol a lot of them will still be playing tests after 2020 and you will still have elgar qdk temba rabada and maharaj. No different a situation to a few other teams