Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 736 to 750 of 898
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: South Africa team selection

  1. #736
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Cape town
    Posts
    151
    Depends on the player I guess. Faf and Paul Harris were both on Kolpaks and then came back better players

  2. #737
    U19 Debutant Rasimione's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by CapeTown Guy View Post
    I agree with most of this re Morris and I'm quite happy to play him instead of Duminy, which is effectively what happened.

    Morris' batting is a bit loose, but the question i ask myself is - would he score as many as JP? Probably, so his added bowling prowess already makes us a better team
    Morris has underperformed in the test arena especially with his bowling but it looks like he is settling. Having said that, Philander is the better allrounder IMO. He's very calm when batting and has a very solid technique. Good enough for the number 7 position. There's going to be a serious fight for that position in the future. Philander, Morris, Parnell, Phehlukwayo and possibly Wian Mulder will be vying for it.

  3. #738
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Durban , South Africa
    Posts
    234
    Morris basically does what Parnell is supposed to do. Bring in the 'X-factor'. I like him as a cricketer and he definitely adds a three pronged bit of value. I do agree totally about Philander though. I'd back him to make more consistent contributions at 7 if this is the way Faf wants to go. Maharaj and Rabada aren't the worst batters either so we might get away with this line up if we keep bowling teams out.
    SeamUp likes this.

  4. #739
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasimione View Post
    Morris has underperformed in the test arena especially with his bowling but it looks like he is settling. Having said that, Philander is the better allrounder IMO. He's very calm when batting and has a very solid technique. Good enough for the number 7 position. There's going to be a serious fight for that position in the future. Philander, Morris, Parnell, Phehlukwayo and possibly Wian Mulder will be vying for it.
    a Bit unfair to say he has under performed at test level when this is only his third test. That's a very small sample size. I agree that vern is the better allrounder and I really hope we consigned parnell to the dustbin along with duminy...
    SeamUp and Marius like this.


  5. #740
    International Vice-Captain SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,234
    Want to see Morris keep evolving. There will be bigger tests. He came back from a poor first spell but on a flat Oval if things aren't going his way when bowling well , I want him to show adaptability and patience and not need the captain to say go and bowl fast. Fact is x-factor - he got the two king-pins out with absolute peaches. Not many bowl Root and not many bump out Cook.

    His batting is more than good enough and has shown that in short test career.

    Vern and him at 7 and 8 is actually what can take this team forward right now.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 17-07-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

  6. #741
    U19 Debutant Rasimione's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    370
    When Morris is asked to go and bowl out and out pace he seems to be a handful. Maybe that's the best way of using him with the ball?

  7. #742
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    Hall of Fame Member vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15,964
    It was Morris who got absolutely smashed in Cape Town when Stokes and Bairstow had that crazy partnership, wasn't it? Good comeback for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

  8. #743
    International Vice-Captain SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    It was Morris who got absolutely smashed in Cape Town when Stokes and Bairstow had that crazy partnership, wasn't it? Good comeback for him.
    KG was punished more. But that attack lacked experience with both Morris and KG so early in test careers. On a pretty unforgiving Newlands pitch 600 v 600 : 2nd Test: South Africa v England at Cape Town, Jan 2-6, 2016 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
    Last edited by SeamUp; 18-07-2017 at 01:34 AM.

  9. #744
    International Vice-Captain SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasimione View Post
    When Morris is asked to go and bowl out and out pace he seems to be a handful. Maybe that's the best way of using him with the ball?
    Yeah possibly. He seems to like to express himself. Keep it simple and let him do his thing might be the best way but I think if he wants to succeed LT he will need to be more adaptable.

  10. #745
    International Vice-Captain SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by CapeTown Guy View Post
    Depends on the player I guess. Faf and Paul Harris were both on Kolpaks and then came back better players
    Some of these new or more recent Kolpaks seem to be cut-off from the domestic game now though.

    McLaren and Rudolph stopped playing in SA.

    Abbott didn't play a single domestic game after the announcement and don't think he is contracted for next season. Knights and Titans have come out and said Rossouw and Wiese will continue with them.

    Harmer , Ingram, Levi , Ackermann signed extensions. Harmer supposedly said he wants to come back and play for SA. Ingram in an interview said that having spoken to Ackermann he still harbours ambition of playing for SA.

  11. #746
    International Vice-Captain SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,234
    Seems like Friday the panel of 5 may decide who the coach will be taking us forward. Been quite a tumultuous period according to this article : South Africa's 'boring' ways of avoiding coach distractions - ESPN Cricinfo

    They also seem to think it will be Toyana.

    Also Morne isn't quite sure where he features moving forward in white ball cricket and may just continue with test cricket.

    Morkel may put Test cricket first as career winds down - ESPN Cricinfo
    Last edited by SeamUp; 21-07-2017 at 04:55 AM.

  12. #747
    International Vice-Captain StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    4,822
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Seems like Friday the panel of 5 may decide who the coach will be taking us forward. Been quite a tumultuous period according to this article : South Africa's 'boring' ways of avoiding coach distractions - ESPN Cricinfo

    They also seem to think it will be Toyana.

    Also Morne isn't quite sure where he features moving forward in white ball cricket and may just continue with test cricket.

    Morkel may put Test cricket first as career winds down - ESPN Cricinfo
    Toyana seems the most likely, and I don't mind to much I think he helped QDK quite a bit at one stage? But I do see that CSA have been following sensible ideas overall so may surprise us still (still think Toyana will be next coach if not now).

    I`m unsure about Morkel, tough for him, if Steyn comes back he is most likely to drop in the Test team. If Steyn does not come back he will probably get another 2/3 years particularly if he gives up LO. However he should play LO as a senior if not in test team.... I suppose it is determined by what assurances CSA gives him.
    "Here are the opinions on which my facts are based." - Humanity
    "Man occasionally stumbles on the truth, but then just picks himself up and hurries on regardless." - Anonymous

  13. #748
    International Vice-Captain SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    Toyana seems the most likely, and I don't mind to much I think he helped QDK quite a bit at one stage? But I do see that CSA have been following sensible ideas overall so may surprise us still (still think Toyana will be next coach if not now).

    I`m unsure about Morkel, tough for him, if Steyn comes back he is most likely to drop in the Test team. If Steyn does not come back he will probably get another 2/3 years particularly if he gives up LO. However he should play LO as a senior if not in test team.... I suppose it is determined by what assurances CSA gives him.
    Unsure about his qualities as the main guy. Besides the one season of QdK, Bavuma, Morris, KG, Viljoen with the help of seniors Petersen/McKenzie the Lions have been pretty poor. Probably known for their batting collapses ( 2 seasons straight with no improvement & poor selections). Why did QdK and Morris leave ?

    Morkel is a good white ball bowler but we've seen his importance in the test team. Hope he continues as he is going.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 21-07-2017 at 05:08 AM.

  14. #749
    International Vice-Captain SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,234

  15. #750
    International 12th Man Marius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,698
    Not really sure what Pollock was trying to say.

    He's in a bad space at the moment though, he is broke and has cancer although I know a kind soul is paying for his cancer treatment.

Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Playing Starc vs South Africa and Aus 'A' selection
    By say2chintu in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 28-10-2012, 05:07 AM
  2. Pick a team to tour South Africa
    By Matt79 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 07:44 AM
  3. Test Team for England vs. South Africa
    By jonny1408 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-06-2008, 04:15 AM
  4. Indian test team for South Africa
    By Gajanayake in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 31-08-2006, 12:31 PM
  5. South Africa - most over-rated team?
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 20-06-2006, 10:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •