• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
De Bruyn is a good player.... but I can`t see them changing the batting much, particularly with ABdV coming back. Biggest question is Markram/Cook for opening and if they will play an allrounder at 7 with Philander injured.
I'm happy to see what he is doing in Bloem. Technically he is not perfect (how he holds the bat and angle of bat face) but so wasn't Smith and so isn't Faf.

So far the only one looking like getting a big daddy hundred to hammer home you have to pick me on merit.

He has proven he can score runs at the level below and for SA 'A' dominantly. Deserves a run of games for the Proteas to properly judge him ?

Dendarii

International Debutant
Think the seed was sewn a while back.

In his mind no matter how well you did you couldn't compete for the position fairly.
Even if quotas didn't exist, I think it's possible Abbott could still have made the same decision as he was competing for a spot with Steyn, Philander, Rabada, and Morkel. That's a tough bowling lineup to break into, and there was no way that he could have known that injuries would open up a spot for him.

I see him, Harmer and McLaren are in 3 of the top 5 wicket takers in CC Div 1.
Harmer's departure is very definitely as a result of quotas. The test spinner spot has effectively become one that needs to be filled by a non-white player otherwise it's going to cause problems trying to get the numbers right. So I don't think we'll see a white spinner play test cricket for a long time, unless they're the second spinner and have come in for one of the white quicks.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Even if quotas didn't exist, I think it's possible Abbott could still have made the same decision as he was competing for a spot with Steyn, Philander, Rabada, and Morkel. That's a tough bowling lineup to break into, and there was no way that he could have known that injuries would open up a spot for him.

Harmer's departure is very definitely as a result of quotas. The test spinner spot has effectively become one that needs to be filled by a non-white player otherwise it's going to cause problems trying to get the numbers write. So I don't think we'll see a white spinner play test cricket for a long time, unless they're the second spinner and have come in for one of the white quicks.
May well be. But it must be tough to know in Abbott's mind he will always be behind them no matter how well he bowls or if he is bowling better than them in a certain period like the world cup. How much love and backing are you feeling ? One of our best work-horses which will always be an under-valued skill like bowling 8 probing overs into the wind.

On the white spinners thing. I do agree. Sub-continent is the only hope for them.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
I hope Mulder is selected instead of Zondo,Zondo looks bang average
Been around a while though and isn't he captain of the A team?
Can they get away with picking 4 non white players in test cricket for the net few months without skewering the quota numbers? Suppose as its not an issue with the limited overs side and new coach they may have some breathing space?

Dendarii

International Debutant
Can they get away with picking 4 non white players in test cricket for the net few months without skewering the quota numbers? Suppose as its not an issue with the limited overs side and new coach they may have some breathing space?
They're probably going to have to load the T20 sides with non-white players as recent ODI sides have tended to have six white players. Although I'm not entirely certain when they start counting from - is it ever since the quotas were introduced or do they reset at the start of a new season? And if the latter, when would the new season start?

Firebreaker

Banned
They're probably going to have to load the T20 sides with non-white players as recent ODI sides have tended to have six white players. Although I'm not entirely certain when they start counting from - is it ever since the quotas were introduced or do they reset at the start of a new season? And if the latter, when would the new season start?
There are very few quota players in GLT20 tho

SeamUp

International Coach
4-day DN test vs Zimbo's testing new PE lights out. Hope ICC rejects it because if they give it the go it will open a whole new can of worms.

India cut to 3 tests but 6 ODIs. Disgrace.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
4-day DN test vs Zimbo's testing new PE lights out. Hope ICC rejects it because if they give it the go it will open a whole new can of worms.

India cut to 3 tests but 6 ODIs. Disgrace.
I hope they reject the Test status. FC status is fine. But would not mind the D/N here in PE.
And what the **** on the 6 ODI`s.... pure money making, considering they made a loss this last year can understand but still...

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really really hope the 4 day test gets rejected. It'll just further the dumb idea and other teams will jump on it too.

SeamUp

International Coach
I hope they reject the Test status. FC status is fine. But would not mind the D/N here in PE.
And what the **** on the 6 ODI`s.... pure money making, considering they made a loss this last year can understand but still...
yeah no reason it could not have been 4 tests, 3 ODIs and 3 T20Is, which would have been a perfect tour AFAIC.
The Sri Lanka tour wasn't really necessary. We would be sitting here with 4-tests and our traditional boxing day and new year tests. A real shame.

And now CSA getting desperate for money, the word 'barter' was used in press release for 6 ODI's is a joke.

And now CSA testing the weak ICC out with 4-day test. I know it would be good for PE but hopefully for test cricket's sake it is flatly rejected.

Heboric

International Debutant
Yeah 6 is crazy

Lol I remember in the late 90's with those 7 match ODI series :wacko::wacko:, they went on forever

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
Why didn't they propose a five day game? Have I missed something here because this seems out of the blue.

Heboric

International Debutant
Why didn't they propose a five day game? Have I missed something here because this seems out of the blue.
I was just thinking about that, normally they play boxing day and then start on the 3rd of Jan at Newlands. So nothing has really changed for the worse when it comes to rest between games

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The Sri Lanka tour wasn't really necessary. We would be sitting here with 4-tests and our traditional boxing day and new year tests. A real shame.

And now CSA getting desperate for money, the word 'barter' was used in press release for 6 ODI's is a joke.

And now CSA testing the weak ICC out with 4-day test. I know it would be good for PE but hopefully for test cricket's sake it is flatly rejected.
YOu mean to say hosting tests in India during our proper cricket season was not necessary? :-O

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Justification for why that test is held in the first place. Apparently, wanting to have test cricket on Boxing Day was not good enough. This makes it a "first ever".

Bahseph

State Captain
Justification for why that test is held in the first place. Apparently, wanting to have test cricket on Boxing Day was not good enough. This makes it a "first ever".
Silly really. The boxing day Test is an attraction by itself. I've been to a few with people who don't even follow cricket. People enjoy going to be apart of the festivities. I know the attendance hasn't always been fantastic so changing the format of the game to draw crowds might be the line of thinking.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Silly really. The boxing day Test is an attraction by itself. I've been to a few with people who don't even follow cricket. People enjoy going to be apart of the festivities. I know the attendance hasn't always been fantastic so changing the format of the game to draw crowds might be the line of thinking.
It is PE though so need to give them something more than "boxing day test"... but the D/N thing should help. And there is the band!

Dendarii

International Debutant
It is PE though so need to give them something more than "boxing day test"
And perhaps something more than "Boxing Day test against Zimbabwe". There could be a concern that there are a significant number of people who would have gone to see India but won't bother because it's Zimbabwe.