Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 44 of 239 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast
Like Tree647Likes

Thread: South Africa team selection

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Markram and Kuhn could even debut at Lord's with Faf possibly becoming a daddy.

Faf, Elgar, QdK has basically become the triumvrate of our test line up with Amla struggling for form and Duminy/Bavuma not being of top top test standard.

Kuhn will also be reserve gloveman with Klaassen going back home for A series v Australia/India.
    Feel sorry for Klaasen. Unless QDK gets a bad injury he'll be a regular in the Test side for the next decade and Klaasen won't get a look in.

Is Klaasen a good enough bat to make the side without his keeping, do you think?

International Coach
    AK Markram has had a really good tour hasn't he? Collapse today sparked by the underrated Jamie Porter.
    SeamUp likes this.

Markram and Kuhn could even debut at Lord's with Faf possibly becoming a daddy.
    Would it be one of them who would come in for Faf or would they go for De Bruyn? He hasn't made as many runs, but he was the backup batsman on the New Zealand tour, so have they done enough to leapfrog him? They've both been opening, which might count against them replacing Faf, although an opener coming in down the order is less of an issue than a non-opener opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    Feel sorry for Klaasen. Unless QDK gets a bad injury he'll be a regular in the Test side for the next decade and Klaasen won't get a look in.

Is Klaasen a good enough bat to make the side without his keeping, do you think?
    Possibly.

From an aesthetics point of view he isn't pretty but he looks compact enough.

Always wonder why some batsman do well in some formats and not others. Seems to have cracked FC and T20 but not 50 overs. Is it due to batting down the order possibly.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

LAMB c KOURIE b RICE

Quote Originally Posted by Dendarii View Post
    Would it be one of them who would come in for Faf or would they go for De Bruyn? He hasn't made as many runs, but he was the backup batsman on the New Zealand tour, so have they done enough to leapfrog him? They've both been opening, which might count against them replacing Faf, although an opener coming in down the order is less of an issue than a non-opener opening.
    SA cricket has always been big on pecking order and loyalty.

Loyalty should come in more when successful players like Gibbs, Kirsten + others go through troughs and now Amla.

De Bruyn needed to lay down a marker on this tour and he hasn't. So can we see him stepping up for tests.

Form has to come into it especially if Markram been labelled as future SA player so pedigree is there. On this whole tour only Kuhn/Markram can come out with ticks as batsman. The problem does come like you say both openers. Wonder if Markram can be introduced in Faf's position like Elgar was initially (middle order) as Kuhn deserves first crack at opener.

Ideally if Faf were to come in for Duminy it would be simple for me.

Elgar
    Markram
    Kuhn
    Amla
    Faf
    Bavuma (no real pressure for spot)
    QdK

Here is an interesting debate.

Fast bowlers :

Rabada
    Philander
    Morkel

Going to at least need a 4th seamer in a 4 test series.

Parnell
    Olivier
    Morris

No certainties with those 3. Wonder if they finally dropped the brainless Parnell and if they want another left-armer if Beuran Hendricks is in their thoughts. Although I hear SA A bowled 21 no balls and he has a history of having this problem.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 23-06-2017 at 06:45 AM.

SA cricket has always been big on pecking order and loyalty.

De Bruyn needed to lay down a marker on this tour and he hasn't. So can we see him stepping up for tests.
    I think that de Bruyn will get a shot, particularly in the middle order, before Markram.

Here is an interesting debate.

Fast bowlers :

Rabada
    Philander
    Morkel

Going to at least need a 4th seamer in a 4 test series.

Parnell
    Olivier
    Morris

No certainties with those 3. Wonder if they finally dropped the brainless Parnell and if they want another left-armer if Beuran Hendricks is in their thoughts. Although I hear SA A bowled 21 no balls and he has a history of having this problem.
    It was 22 no balls! And it was quite evenly spread across all the bowlers. [Edit: and they have already added 3 to the tally in the 2nd innings.]

But I can't see us playing a 4th seamer unless it is an absolute green track, which I don't think we will get. If needed however They could drop Duminy and play Parnell/Morris. Puts QDK at 6 but at least we still bat to 9 with Maharaj.
    Last edited by StephenZA; 23-06-2017 at 07:38 AM.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Form has to come into it especially if Markram been labelled as future SA player so pedigree is there. On this whole tour only Kuhn/Markram can come out with ticks as batsman. The problem does come like you say both openers. Wonder if Markram can be introduced in Faf's position like Elgar was initially (middle order) as Kuhn deserves first crack at opener.
    I wonder if Kuhn's age might count against him. If they do decide to drop Cook then they might go with Markram on the basis that he'll potentially be there for the long term whereas with Kuhn they'll be the same situation as Cook i.e. maybe only able to get a couple of years out of him. Very tough on Kuhn though if they do that, as I'd agree that he's the more deserving of the two.

Parnell
    Olivier
    Morris

Parnell is almost as bulletproof as Duminy - not quite the same as he does get dropped, but he always seems to make his way back into the team somehow. Olivier hasn't had the greatest of times in England so far and has struggled with no balls, which may have hurt his chances. Morris didn't do too badly in the Champions Trophy, so that could play a role even though it's obviously a different format, but there's certainly no immediately obvious choice for the fourth seamer.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    But I can't see us playing a 4th seamer unless it is an absolute green track, which I don't think we will get.
    I think SeamUp's not referring so much to a fourth seamer in the team, but rather who the fourth seamer in the squad would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendarii View Post
    I think SeamUp's not referring so much to a fourth seamer in the team, but rather who the fourth seamer in the squad would be.
    Right. My Bad. Olivier and Morris would be my choice for the squad. But think they may choose all three.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    I think that de Bruyn will get a shot, particularly in the middle order, before Markram.

It was 22 no balls! And it was quite evenly spread across all the bowlers. [Edit: and they have already added 3 to the tally in the 2nd
    They will go de Bruyn but we really need an innings of importance in this 2nd innings.

That amount of no balls is a joke. Professionalism from players and coaching lacking.

International Coach
    This one could be over in a hurry now.

Deary me. Hopefully some batting practice for Temba and more experience for Mulder.

Kuhn and Markram were allowed a failure. Just not sure de Bruyn was. Struggling to work de Bruyn out.

Deary me. Hopefully some batting practice for Temba and more experience for Mulder.

Kuhn and Markram were allowed a failure. Just not sure de Bruyn was. Struggling to work de Bruyn out.
    The Lions' bowlers aren't
    Follow me @cricket_gc, should you want to learn more of my cricketing thoughts and opinions, or read them in more detail on my blog: https://gccricket.wordpress.com

Thread Information