• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The dude is never making it back. So unfortunate to have a career as great as his ruined by injuries.
He had a great run of fitness in his prime TBF. We don't want him looking like a shadow of himself while playing half-fit. Hope he does still come back and be awesome, but hope recedes with every successive injury.

Groundking

International Debutant
He had a great run of fitness in his prime TBF. We don't want him looking like a shadow of himself while playing half-fit. Hope he does still come back and be awesome, but hope recedes with every successive injury.
Yeah he did, and I hold very little hope he can come back and dominate, it's just sad his career ends with such a whimper in terms of not being able to get through a series and constantly in and out of the medical room. I guess I just want him to have a godly series where he tears the opposition a new one, then figuratively drops the mic and retires on a high.

SeamUp

International Coach
Gibson arrives today and has his press conference tomorrow morning at 8am then he is off to watch Sunfoil Series. He will definitely go to Super Sport Park and Wanderers and may even pop into Bloem.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Looking likely it will be 3 tests vs India. They should just cut the T20s.
South Africa-India New Year's Test likely from January 5 - ESPNcricinfo

ESPNcricinfo also understands the main reason behind the delay was that the BCCI was not impressed with CSA finalising the schedule for the Australian series, which starts on March 1, with the India tour dates not finalised yet. "Now they (CSA) are trying to fit in everything within a short window," the official said.
Find this amazing statement, considering that the March dates for Aus/SA pretty much follows the FTP .....and I`m sure India spoke to CSA when organizing the SL tour as well. "Do what we want when we want it or else...!"

SeamUp

International Coach
Gibson arrives today and has his press conference tomorrow morning at 8am then he is off to watch Sunfoil Series. He will definitely go to Super Sport Park and Wanderers and may even pop into Bloem.

Cricket South Africa‏Verified account @OfficialCSA 16m16 minutes ago
More
"For me it's an honour to be here and especially to refer myself as a Protea coach. Looking forward to working with the players." -O. Gibson

"My job is to get the talent we have to perform on the field and reach our targets."-

"I've had six years playing in SA and there's so much talent. I think there's an opportunity for us to do amazing things."

"We have a series against Bangladesh and they've become confidence over the years and we need to be ready."

"We haven't played a lot of cricket. We need to make sure we're up to speed with the Bangladesh series."

"My Coaching philosophy evolves. When I started I wanted to make a difference and improve players."

"Part of the philosophy is to take people and players where they have never been before. I'm sure it might evolve again here."-

"If the senior players are still invested in getting to the top again then I think we're in a good place."

"The intention for the next couple of weeks is to got and meet franchise coaches and get a feel of players who are on the fringes."

"Everybody is involved in the selection process of players for the Proteas."

We've got people in the team who know what it takes to get this team to number one.

Cricket is not like football, where the coach gets fired and the new guy brings in his own team.

The guys that were here before me were the guys who helped take the team to number one, so they're capable.

When we win, I'm gonna celebrates and when we lose, I'm gonna be very grumpy, I'm not gonna lie.

I'm a fun loving guy, I love golf, red wine, I have a wife and one child...anything else? I'm just very excited to be here.

I'm very much aware of the transformation issues and when I pick support staff, it will be a part of it.

I've been given liberty by @OfficialCSA to pick the people I deem good enough.

Being the first black coach to coach SA and the first foreign coach since Bob Woolmer sounds like a lot of pressure.

The relationship between Faf and I started when the news broke in England. We've had a lot conversations since.

Aiden Markram didn't play in England but I've heard a lot of good things about him.

The England bowlers were very impressed with how Temba Bavuma played in England, especially James Anderson, etc...

The conversations with Faf have really been about how we're gonna take the team forward.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Parnell chose Carribean T20 over SA A

Now injures himself in the gym before Sunfoil Series.

SeamUp

International Coach
Gibson watched Markram's hundred and popped over to the Wanderers for some late afternoon action to see future Protea Mulder get 4 sticks

Niall

International Coach
Bangla are improving, but isn't this a great opportunity for Saffers to up there quota representation? De Bruyn looked average enough in England, Zondo the obvious choice to come in?

Firebreaker

Banned
Bangla are improving, but isn't this a great opportunity for Saffers to up there quota representation? De Bruyn looked average enough in England, Zondo the obvious choice to come in?
I hope Mulder is selected instead of Zondo,Zondo looks bang average

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
De Bruyn is a good player.... but I can`t see them changing the batting much, particularly with ABdV coming back. Biggest question is Markram/Cook for opening and if they will play an allrounder at 7 with Philander injured.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
As a side note... I wonder if Abbott regrets his decision to go Kolpak, considering that he pretty much would have been playing all the SA games with all the bowling injuries. I still understand his decision though, not saying it was a bad one.

SeamUp

International Coach
As a side note... I wonder if Abbott regrets his decision to go Kolpak, considering that he pretty much would have been playing all the SA games with all the bowling injuries. I still understand his decision though, not saying it was a bad one.
Think the seed was sewn a while back.

In his mind no matter how well you did you couldn't compete for the position fairly.

Family security then took over.

I see him, Harmer and McLaren are in 3 of the top 5 wicket takers in CC Div 1.