• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
On the keeper issue, is Rudi Second white, or is he coloured?

My changes to the side would be Morris in for Rabada and Faf in for JP.

Vut that gives us seven white players which I'm not sure will fly.

But if Phehlukwayo plays and De Bruyn gets dropped instead of JP then our cricket is an absolute joke.
Seconds is 'white'...

Faf in for JP and Olivier/Morris in for Rabada is the only sensible decision. Anything else is politics.

From what I've seen of Olivier he is more in the Morkel mould while Morris does get swing. I'm leaning towards Morris just based on the fact that KG is being replaced and not Morkel.
Olivier swings the ball as well, don`t take as many wickets as he has without swing.

SeamUp

International Coach
Right now I think they will stick with the current 6 batsman , '2 all-rounders' route.

Certainly is a new interesting dynamic for us. It may also allow Vernon to max his batting skills and only really need 7/8 overs outside the new ball considering he is 32 and his injury issues.

Obviously personnel in the top 6 is still a debate with Kuhn and Bavuma.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
I agree, especially since Morris has bowled better than Olivier in this test. My feeling was that 7 is one position too high for Philander, but you can't really argue with fifties in consecutive matches, and having Morris and Maharaj means that there's still some batting to come after him.

As for the top six, Bavuma has made three fifties in his last five test matches, so it does look as though he's made a comeback after the Sri Lanka series. I think they'll keep Kuhn for the rest of the series, but if he doesn't make runs then he could very well find himself giving way for Markram.

It does mean that until someone new comes into the squad and ultimately the team, the transformation targets won't be met, so I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more T20 sides like the ones that played against Sri Lanka in order to make up the numbers.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Right now I think they will stick with the current 6 batsman , '2 all-rounders' route.

Certainly is a new interesting dynamic for us. It may also allow Vernon to max his batting skills and only really need 7/8 overs outside the new ball considering he is 32 and his injury issues.

Obviously personnel in the top 6 is still a debate with Kuhn and Bavuma.
I`m not convinced of the 2 allrounder route until we have a genuine batting allrounder. Philander has stepped up remarkably, it is still amusing that he was brought into the team due to his batting ability, so he always had this in him. My biggest issue is I don`t trust Morris`s bowling or batting, I hope he proves me wrong. If Mulder/Smith steps up it would be great for us.

Will De Kock continue batting at 4? Massive responsibility to give to your keeper.
I think this is about QDK, if he is happy to do it and thrives on I say good for him. If he starts feeling like it effecting the wking or batting he must drop down. I would personally be more comfortable with him at 5 though. I wonder if one of the reasons he batted so well though is he knows Amla so well from opening together in LO cricket. Those sort of partnerships help settle players. That could have also been a consideration?

The Kuhn and/or Bavuma issue is a worry, but I think that for now getting rid of Duminy was a major step. Bavuma is going stay, he has at times been good even if not always good enough, and we know why he is unlikely to go. Kuhn has disappointed me, I thought with the form he was in that he would at least give us a couple of good 50`s, but has totally looked out of his depth. I wonder if we give him the next test match, and then just bite the bullet. If we think Markram is the long term solution and is talented enough then we just allow him to build the partnership with Elgar and give him 18 months to settle. He is going to do no worse than we have done for the last 2 years trying to find a partner for Elgar. It does depend on the sort of mentality he has, whether he can keep going or wilt without the experience. We did it for QDK and Rabada, recognized they where good enough and just put them in the team. Even when QDK was down, you always knew he would be back sooner rather than later.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I think this is about QDK, if he is happy to do it and thrives on I say good for him. If he starts feeling like it effecting the wking or batting he must drop down. I would personally be more comfortable with him at 5 though. I wonder if one of the reasons he batted so well though is he knows Amla so well from opening together in LO cricket. Those sort of partnerships help settle players. That could have also been a consideration?
I think that's an argument in favour of him batting at four as it would mean that he'd often end up batting with Amla.

Maybe his batting position needs to depend on the match situation - if South Africa bat first then there'd be no problem with him at four. And if they dismiss the opposition quite quickly then it should be OK as well given that he's used to fielding for 50 overs and then opening the batting in ODIs, although it is slightly different there with a bigger break between innings and test innings potentially being longer than ODI innings.

But if South Africa have been in the field for a long time then maybe it might be best to push him down the order, especially if the first couple of wickets fall quickly. Just as long as we don't see him at eight again, as that's a complete waste.

SeamUp

International Coach
Right now there aren't many harder tests as an opener than England away no matter the experience he has. Kuhn has earned this chance and with Markram not being quite ready we have to give Kuhn a fair chance. But I also understand there are 2 Bangladesh tests (?) before Australia and India ?

Morris has an x-factor. Runs/wickets/gully/3rd slipper snactcher. It certainly is an interesting dynamic because we have Morkel of height who struggles to get further up whilst Morris can get it further up and be successful + he has that pace. There is a lot to work with. But again he could go as bad ans he could be good so we have to give him every chance to prove his worth.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I am happy to be proven wrong on Morris, I`m still not 100% comfortable with him, but as a 4th bowler he would be great. I just wish his batting gave me more confidence.

My issue with the opening is not Kuhn himself, and I felt he has deserved the chance. But I am getting tired of choosing in form journey men with partly suspect techniques that we go with for 9 months, when we appear to have a quality (if inexperienced) young batsmen that I would rather give the experience to.... but it is tough decisions to be be made.

SeamUp

International Coach
I wouldn't be against them backing Markram but it will send a bad message to others wanting the chance if you chop Kuhn so quickly.

What I don't get is how Morris has been labelled a limited overs cricketer (IPL & majority of SA performances) but has proven himself in our domestic game with the red ball far more.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't be against them backing Markram but it will send a bad message to others wanting the chance if you chop Kuhn so quickly.

What I don't get is how Morris has been labelled a limited overs cricketer (IPL & majority of SA performances) but has proven himself in our domestic game with the red ball far more.
Morris is a great bowler, his batting looks loose, but is a fantastic striker of the ball... So that striking ability makes you think LO, but his technique makes me think not great for tests.

I agree it is tough on Kuhn, but if you get picked as a 30+ year old when in form, you must know you have a limited time to prove yourself when there is a talented youngster vying for you spot. But Kuhn may also be giving the selectors comfort playing QDK at 4 if he needs help with the wking...

But I`m not being critical of any of the decisions made, I would maybe look at things slightly differently but I`m pretty happy that the selectors appear to be making good decisions with the Test team.

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
I agree with most of this re Morris and I'm quite happy to play him instead of Duminy, which is effectively what happened.

Morris' batting is a bit loose, but the question i ask myself is - would he score as many as JP? Probably, so his added bowling prowess already makes us a better team

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It really sucks Rossouw won't be playing for SA anytime soon

I know very little about Kolpak, when the contract runs out is he eligible again?

Rasimione

U19 Captain
I agree with most of this re Morris and I'm quite happy to play him instead of Duminy, which is effectively what happened.

Morris' batting is a bit loose, but the question i ask myself is - would he score as many as JP? Probably, so his added bowling prowess already makes us a better team
Morris has underperformed in the test arena especially with his bowling but it looks like he is settling. Having said that, Philander is the better allrounder IMO. He's very calm when batting and has a very solid technique. Good enough for the number 7 position. There's going to be a serious fight for that position in the future. Philander, Morris, Parnell, Phehlukwayo and possibly Wian Mulder will be vying for it.

Bahseph

State Captain
Morris basically does what Parnell is supposed to do. Bring in the 'X-factor'. I like him as a cricketer and he definitely adds a three pronged bit of value. I do agree totally about Philander though. I'd back him to make more consistent contributions at 7 if this is the way Faf wants to go. Maharaj and Rabada aren't the worst batters either so we might get away with this line up if we keep bowling teams out.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Morris has underperformed in the test arena especially with his bowling but it looks like he is settling. Having said that, Philander is the better allrounder IMO. He's very calm when batting and has a very solid technique. Good enough for the number 7 position. There's going to be a serious fight for that position in the future. Philander, Morris, Parnell, Phehlukwayo and possibly Wian Mulder will be vying for it.
a Bit unfair to say he has under performed at test level when this is only his third test. That's a very small sample size. I agree that vern is the better allrounder and I really hope we consigned parnell to the dustbin along with duminy...

SeamUp

International Coach
Want to see Morris keep evolving. There will be bigger tests. He came back from a poor first spell but on a flat Oval if things aren't going his way when bowling well , I want him to show adaptability and patience and not need the captain to say go and bowl fast. Fact is x-factor - he got the two king-pins out with absolute peaches. Not many bowl Root and not many bump out Cook.

His batting is more than good enough and has shown that in short test career.

Vern and him at 7 and 8 is actually what can take this team forward right now.

Last edited: