• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Shady Slim

International Coach
it's such a shame dale will be ineligible for the england series

the nearer it gets the more i realise it

Shady Slim

International Coach
no anderson is probably bad for sa because it means they'll be on the end of broad's seven or more wickets for very little runs spell this season

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
6 Quicks , 1 spinner squad expected again ?
Can't see it changing. Who would be the extra spinner, Piedt, maybe Shamsi? And I can only see us doing that if we drop Duminy altogether... unlikely to happen.

I would be interested in which quicks though. Rabada, Philander, Morkel, Morris, Parnell, Olivier? I would not be against Ngidi in the squad for experience purposes during our domestic off-season. SA 'A' tour is finished by then. I so want to see Markram in the squad and de Bruyn in the team.

SeamUp

International Coach
Can't see it changing. Who would be the extra spinner, Piedt, maybe Shamsi? And I can only see us doing that if we drop Duminy altogether... unlikely to happen.

I would be interested in which quicks though. Rabada, Philander, Morkel, Morris, Parnell, Olivier? I would not be against Ngidi in the squad for experience purposes during our domestic off-season. SA 'A' tour is finished by then. I so want to see Markram in the squad and de Bruyn in the team.
I'm not sure at what stage the wickets get tired in England. Manchester, Nottingham , Oval & Lord's this time ? Basically the first two replacing Leeds and Birmingham. But I agree I can't see us playing two spinners but they probably will pick Piedt to cover all bases.

I think those 6 are the obvious 6 for the seamer position at this stage. Ngidi and Dupavillon would be my next cabs off the rank.

The batting was the issue in NZL - just hope they brave enough to make the big decisions on Cook and Duminy.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The batting was the issue in NZL - just hope they brave enough to make the big decisions on Cook and Duminy.
Cook is less of an issue to replce with Markram, replacing Duminy is difficult because if de Bruyn comes in then Parnell almost has to play in front of Morris for non-cricketing reasons. And obviously Bavuma's form is a problem and I don't know what happens if Rabada gets injured....

But Is till like our Test team overall and think we are stronger there than in the limited over stuff....

SeamUp

International Coach
Cook is less of an issue to replce with Markram, replacing Duminy is difficult because if de Bruyn comes in then Parnell almost has to play in front of Morris for non-cricketing reasons. And obviously Bavuma's form is a problem and I don't know what happens if Rabada gets injured....

But Is till like our Test team overall and think we are stronger there than in the limited over stuff....
With you 100% on all that.

Our test team has that resilience about them.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA 'A' OUT : Mosehle, Magala, Paterson, Shamsi

IN : Markram, Smith, Olivier, Dala

So basically went for more batsman which I'm not against as besides Olivier/Ngidi there isn't a lot to work with for future SA in quick bowling.

England Lions got 349/7

and Markram with a little 4-for :laugh:

91Jmay

International Coach
Liam Livingstone is next after Bairstow I think. Banging down the door and is a more than useful part time spinner

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA 'A' OUT : Mosehle, Magala, Paterson, Shamsi

IN : Markram, Smith, Olivier, Dala

So basically went for more batsman which I'm not against as besides Olivier/Ngidi there isn't a lot to work with for future SA in quick bowling.

England Lions got 349/7

and Markram with a little 4-for :laugh:
SA 'A' getting demolished again, but Markram with a 49 ball 50 though....

SeamUp

International Coach
Liam Livingstone is next after Bairstow I think. Banging down the door and is a more than useful part time spinner
You guys certainly building your best depth in limited overs batting. Quite a change from traditional England because it's now the test batting line-up with a few issues.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA 'A' getting demolished again, but Markram with a 49 ball 50 though....
Not unexpected though. When you weaken a system it will have knock on effects. As I have been saying just got to hope individuals keep developing.

A tour like this for Markram, de Bruyn, Smith, Mulder, Ngidi and Olivier can be invaluable.

Just on Theunis. Just a bit concerned with his struggles when he has to come in against spin.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Not unexpected though. When you weaken a system it will have knock on effects. As I have been saying just got to hope individuals keep developing.

A tour like this for Markram, de Bruyn, Smith, Mulder, Ngidi and Olivier can be invaluable.

Just on Theunis. Just a bit concerned with his struggles when he has to come in against spin.
Yeah... I hope it is not a terminal thing, and that it just takes a bit of adjustment to his technique to sort out.

Note Smith scored 43 as well..which is good.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think the selectors could seriously think of taking Kuhn as the back up keeper as well as pushing for opening spot for England test tour. Shoot-out between him and Markram for opening spot.

de Bruyn and Bavuma badly need a big score too because it is the middle order without AB, Rossouw etc that we need to sort out.