• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Stefan9

International Debutant
Heads need to roll after this tour, but I don't see that happening if the past is any indication. Instead the more likely outcome is that there'll be press conferences where they'll offer up lame statements like "We're a work in progress" and then carry on doing the same thing as though it was actually working. :mad::wallbash:
Seeing as no heads have rolled after the holland debacle I expect the same for this disaster...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
They honestly don’t care anymore… the most important thing for CSA right now is to get the saT20 going, make sure it appeal’s to the Indian audience. They will happily kill the game in SA for the short term gain.

Bahseph

State Captain
What should happen and what will happen moving forward are two very different scenarios. Maybe we need the Windies to blank us 2-0 in the March Tests??

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What should happen and what will happen moving forward are two very different scenarios. Maybe we need the Windies to blank us 2-0 in the March Tests??
I honestly don’t think it will help at this stage. The people in charge have decided on a course and come hell or high water will see it through to failure of all. The excuses the reasoning the failure to adjust or to even have long term plans is clear to everyone. And it’s not much different from every other aspect of life in SA.

Bahseph

State Captain
I'm still holding off for someone to get injured in one of the SA20 teams and Bavuma to be called in as a late replacement :p

Dendarii

International Debutant
Maybe we need the Windies to blank us 2-0 in the March Tests??
Will that change anything? Someone needs to stand up and say that what's going on with the national side is not acceptable and a complete overhaul is necessary, not just of the team but of the processes that led to the team being in the state it's in. In theory, Enoch Nkwe should be the person to do that, but is he capable of doing it? Or would he even be allowed to do so by the board?

Stefan9

International Debutant
Will that change anything? Someone needs to stand up and say that what's going on with the national side is not acceptable and a complete overhaul is necessary, not just of the team but of the processes that led to the team being in the state it's in. In theory, Enoch Nkwe should be the person to do that, but is he capable of doing it? Or would he even be allowed to do so by the board?
He has been struggling for a few months just to get the board to sign-off on separate red ball and white ball coaches for the proteas.
I don't think enoch lacks knowledge of cricket structures or anything but dealing with the CSA board is no easy task.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It is amazing to me the nonsense coming out of the SA cricketing camp... they are making out as if this was some great draw... only reason for the draw was 2 days of washout. "the gap between SA and Aus is not that big". I mean its starting to become pathetic and delusional. Nothing was even said or done after we lost to the Netherlands...

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
It is amazing to me the nonsense coming out of the SA cricketing camp... they are making out as if this was some great draw... only reason for the draw was 2 days of washout. "the gap between SA and Aus is not that big". I mean its starting to become pathetic and delusional. Nothing was even said or done after we lost to the Netherlands...
Yeah the stats for the tour are pretty grim in retrospect, all but one of the Aussie top 7 averaged 50+ while no SA batter averaged 40 aside from harmer. Australia's worst frontline bowler averaged 26 and all their pacers averaged 22 or less, none of Sa's frontline bowlers averaged under 30.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I may not have predicted they'd be quite so delusional, but I did call it...

Heads need to roll after this tour, but I don't see that happening if the past is any indication. Instead the more likely outcome is that there'll be press conferences where they'll offer up lame statements like "We're a work in progress" and then carry on doing the same thing as though it was actually working. :mad::wallbash:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Stefan9

International Debutant
Wouldn't be surprised if it was the board who asked for the withdrawal. They likely only want to pay one coach no matter if the DOC wants the roles split...

Of the candidates left I like pybus and birrel.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
One of the things nobody is really talking about is the dire financial situation CSA finds itself in... which everybody is pinning the hopes on the SA20. But the reality is that none of the sponsors have come back.
The national men's team and all three domestic competitions remain without corporate backing and CSA has recorded two years of losses, which will be followed by a third this year.
You have to ask why? And the likely and obvious answer is that any sponsorship deals don't trust the current administration to not be wasteful, and would probably demand oversight on monies given after recent debacles. Which CSA is likely not willing to agree to. This is pure speculation though.

Stefan9

International Debutant
The fact that you have some local companies like afrihost,algoa fm,ect getting involved with the SA20 teams tells me sponsors are willing to get involved with cricket but they don't want to work with CSA.