• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
At this stage it feels like excuses from CSA to explain his non-selection. And if it is Elgar making the demand… we’ll then.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
i hope jansen does win a test or 2.
im a little bored of australian whitewashes in australia
Anyone that can explain what makes Marco so much better than his brother Duan who isn't talked about as more than a provincial player? they both look and bowl similar and both can hold a bat.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Anyone that can explain what makes Marco so much better than his brother Duan who isn't talked about as more than a provincial player? they both look and bowl similar and both can hold a bat.
Marco is a better all round player. I mean he has better skills to play Tests and represent SA.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Are they identical twins? It's not really clear from the pictures I've seen as they could just look really similar since they're brothers. I have seen some where one of them seems taller than the other, but that could just be the composition.

If they're not identical then it's not any different from one brother being better than another one. If they are then it is a little puzzling for there to be such a difference, but I know pretty much nothing about this sort of thing, so couldn't hazard a guess.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
They are twins, I believe they are identical twins but not 100% sure. When I’ve watched them play I think Marco might be the better overall bowler; and Duane makes me think more Albie Morkel but much better. I think their is a high chance they both play for SA, almost definite for the LO team.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Are they identical twins? It's not really clear from the pictures I've seen as they could just look really similar since they're brothers. I have seen some where one of them seems taller than the other, but that could just be the composition.

If they're not identical then it's not any different from one brother being better than another one. If they are then it is a little puzzling for there to be such a difference, but I know pretty much nothing about this sort of thing, so couldn't hazard a guess.
Duan is a few inches taller. From what I have seen Duan is the better white ball player and marco the better red ball player.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
They are twins, I believe they are identical twins but not 100% sure. When I’ve watched them play I think Marco might be the better overall bowler; and Duane makes me think more Albie Morkel but much better. I think their is a high chance they both play for SA, almost definite for the LO team.
Espncricinfo says they identical twins, also when I look at their stats at provincial it's pretty similar barring marco has more 5ivers and 50s in fc cricket, I was just wandering why they didn't pluck both as both haven't played a lot of provincial cricket and when I see duan bowl he seems pretty similiar maybe not at marcos level yet but his batting looks very good maybe he should move to a top side no offence to north west but they may be relegated end of season. https://www.espncricinfo.com/player/duan-jansen-595954

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Espncricinfo says they identical twins, also when I look at their stats at provincial it's pretty similar barring marco has more 5ivers and 50s in fc cricket, I was just wandering why they didn't pluck both as both haven't played a lot of provincial cricket and when I see duan bowl he seems pretty similiar maybe not at marcos level yet but his batting looks very good maybe he should move to a top side no offence to north west but they may be relegated end of season. https://www.espncricinfo.com/player/duan-jansen-595954
At 2.06 metres tall, Marco Jansen's height immediately marks him out as a fast bowler but he began his cricket career as a batter. Jansen's first coach was his father, Koos, who trained both him and his twin brother Duan in their home town of Potchefstroom. At the age of 17, the pair were picked to bowl to the touring Indian side in the nets and impressed the likes of Virat Kohli with his pace and accuracy.

Jansen went on to tour India with South Africa's Under-19 side in 2019 and, that season, was the leading wicket-taker for North West in the three-day provincial competition. He travelled with South Africa's Test squad to Pakistan in early 2021 and was signed by Mumbai Indians for the IPL. Jansen made his Test debut against India in the Boxing Day Test in 2021, and became the first player born in the 2000s to be capped for the national side.
Firdose Moonda

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
At 2.06 metres tall, Marco Jansen's height immediately marks him out as a fast bowler but he began his cricket career as a batter. Jansen's first coach was his father, Koos, who trained both him and his twin brother Duan in their home town of Potchefstroom. At the age of 17, the pair were picked to bowl to the touring Indian side in the nets and impressed the likes of Virat Kohli with his pace and accuracy.

Jansen went on to tour India with South Africa's Under-19 side in 2019 and, that season, was the leading wicket-taker for North West in the three-day provincial competition. He travelled with South Africa's Test squad to Pakistan in early 2021 and was signed by Mumbai Indians for the IPL. Jansen made his Test debut against India in the Boxing Day Test in 2021, and became the first player born in the 2000s to be capped for the national side.
Firdose Moonda
Tall, Dark & Handsome....

Dendarii

International Debutant
From what I have seen Duan is the better white ball player and marco the better red ball player.
Yeah, their stats do seem to suggest that. Marco averages 21 with the ball in first-class and 34 in List A, while Duan is 34 in first-class and 24 in List A. Neither of them have played a huge number of games though, so that could change over time.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
We have seen that all twins who played the game were batters. If his brother gets selected then it will be a unique coincidence to see twin bowlers in a match.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
"Our relationship is strong and is based on hard work, so we're similar in what we're looking for in terms of the team and the performance," Maketa said in his first media engagement since being appointed in the role. "I'm here to support Dean in every way, to make sure that he not only gets what he wants but that he gets the guys onside in terms of performances."

Elgar has used similar terminology to describe how he sees Maketa's tenure. On departure to Australia last week, Elgar said Maketa "understands his role, which is going to be a supportive role," and that Maketa "understands me as a cricketer, as a person and as a leader."
This tells me everything I want to know... Elgar has 100 % taken over the team and what he says goes, regardless of anything else.