• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Only November and all wickets so far at Kingsmead going to spin. Shame South Africa are playing the Windies tests on the Highveld. You could have Mulder and Jansen take the new ball or just go straight to Maharaj and Harmer with Brevis debuting at 8. Steve Smith style.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Just saw Harmer's figures as well. Rassie opening in the same game. Imagine him and Elgar at the top in Australia. That’s grim.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
De Zorzi gets his second hundred on the trot, looks like @StephenZA's assessment of him at the moment was more accurate than mine. Must be on the selectors' radar for Tests, along with Josh Richards. Jordan Hermann must also be catching the selectors' eye as a potential Test bat.
de Zorzi looks to have some decent ability and I had hoped his technique has tightened up with some experience... but he is one of the best candidates amongst the players of colour and we need to give him maximum opportunity, rather than sticking with a player like Bavuma.

Talent is not the problem, it utilization and looking after that talent that is the problem.

Marius

International Debutant
de Zorzi looks to have some decent ability and I had hoped his technique has tightened up with some experience... but he is one of the best candidates amongst the players of colour and we need to give him maximum opportunity, rather than sticking with a player like Bavuma.

Talent is not the problem, it utilization and looking after that talent that is the problem.
Tim Dale Lace, who commentates for Guerrilla Cricket and does some writing on cricket watched the innings live and says while it was good, he's not sure De Zorzi was particularly tested by the bowling and we shouldn't read too much into this yet.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Tim Dale Lace, who commentates for Guerrilla Cricket and does some writing on cricket watched the innings live and says while it was good, he's not sure De Zorzi was particularly tested by the bowling and we shouldn't read too much into this yet.
But that is the point... he is not likely to be tested by what happens at FC level in SA right now, but has shown some decent run scoring. And that should also not mean he is not selected for SA squads, where he can be given maximum opportunity to both prove himself and improve his play. Waiting another 3 years while he feasts on lesser bowlers tells us nothing.

Right now SA selection is not based on who gives us the best chance to try improve SA cricket long term, both based on social issues as well as talent wise. It is based purely on next in line hierarchical approach. Its effectively the equivalent of making the oldest middle manager in the company the next CEO not because he could do the best for the company but because he has waited longest in line. Its archaic thinking.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
But that is the point... he is not likely to be tested by what happens at FC level in SA right now, but has shown some decent run scoring. And that should also not mean he is not selected for SA squads, where he can be given maximum opportunity to both prove himself and improve his play. Waiting another 3 years while he feasts on lesser bowlers tells us nothing.

Right now SA selection is not based on who gives us the best chance to try improve SA cricket long term, both based on social issues as well as talent wise. It is based purely on next in line hierarchical approach. Its effectively the equivalent of making the oldest middle manager in the company the next CEO not because he could do the best for the company but because he has waited longest in line. Its archaic thinking.
247 and still going...

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Sa Team of De Zorzi , Elgar for now/ Richards/brevis to come in, Van tonder, janneman/petersen, Bavuma, 6 Rickleton 7. mulder, 8 .jansen, maharaj,10rabs 11. ngidi or nortjie not bad at all

Marius

International Debutant
Think De Zorzi has become only the 10th Saffa to score a first-class 300 after Stephen Cook, Darryl Cullinan, Barry Richards, Jimmy Cook, Graeme Smith, Terence Lazard, Rilee Rossouw, Eric Rowan, and Hashim Amla.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Big day for @StephenZA.

At risk of opening a can of worms I'd probably rather not, does he (de Zorzi, not SZA) count as a black African? Could potentially solve a couple of issues if so.

Marius

International Debutant
Think De Zorzi has become only the 10th Saffa to score a first-class 300 after Stephen Cook, Darryl Cullinan, Barry Richards, Jimmy Cook, Graeme Smith, Terence Lazard, Rilee Rossouw, Eric Rowan, and Hashim Amla.
And Marco Marais and Andrea Agathangelou.

Marius

International Debutant
Big day for @StephenZA.

At risk of opening a can of worms I'd probably rather not, does he (de Zorzi, not SZA) count as a black African? Could potentially solve a couple of issues if so.
I believe he does. I think he is of mixed parentage and in the mad world of South African cricket race politics the 'one-drop' rule apparently counts in this case, so he is counted as black African.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's good news. I don't think going further into the politics of it than this post is wise, but it's great for balance that a black African batsman is reasonably close to being worthy of selection on merit. Hopefully he Ashwell Princes it.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Our local teams could do with one or two decent foreigners, free state,north west and maybe even rocks in the long format really dont even have 11 merit players for fc level.