• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
Bavuma has to step down from captaincy or be removed ..
Second time in a row SA out of the group stage , struggling to qualify automatically for the ODI WC ..A sackable offense

Bahseph

State Captain
I'd back SA to beat Netherlands 99/100 times in any form of the game. The thing with T20s is it closes the gap between sides and a couple of guys having a good day means you are at risk of losing. I think we all understand that,and the bowlers bar Nortje and Keshav weren't at their best today.

But could you imagine if we made it through to the semis or further with Bavuma opening and Parnell at 7? The majority of SA would have forgotten how ridiculous those selections are.

Parnell has been fine with the ball since his come back but is he the guy to smack a few 6's when we need it? I don't think he has ever been the batsman to do that on a regular basis. Yeah Hulk got injured and I really wouldn't have went with Phelukwayo but surely Jansen needed a run before hand. Or Mulder.

I don't want to drum on about the Bavuma issue,but they handicapped themselves there. Hendricks(who many of us have had a fair amount to say about over the years) was in the form of his life coming into this. I don't want to see Temba anywhere near a T20 protea side for a long, long time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The thing that really pissed me off with the Bavuma thing was the broader cricket media and commentators acting like he was a class T20 player who was just out of form. He's never justified international selection in this format and his poor performances were entirely predicable. Hendricks on the other hand went into the tournament ranked about 10th in T20Is after finally repaying what seemed like an endless amount of faith.

Parnell really surprised me with the ball, I have to eat Humble pie on that one a bit, but as I said a couple of days ago, him at 7 makes the team really 'chokeable' under pressure chasing. He's bats with a toothpick internationally - I wouldn't even be particularly comfortable with him at 8, let alone 7.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd back SA to beat Netherlands 99/100 times in any form of the game. The thing with T20s is it closes the gap between sides and a couple of guys having a good day means you are at risk of losing. I think we all understand that,and the bowlers bar Nortje and Keshav weren't at their best today.

But could you imagine if we made it through to the semis or further with Bavuma opening and Parnell at 7? The majority of SA would have forgotten how ridiculous those selections are.

Parnell has been fine with the ball since his come back but is he the guy to smack a few 6's when we need it? I don't think he has ever been the batsman to do that on a regular basis. Yeah Hulk got injured and I really wouldn't have went with Phelukwayo but surely Jansen needed a run before hand. Or Mulder.

I don't want to drum on about the Bavuma issue,but they handicapped themselves there. Hendricks(who many of us have had a fair amount to say about over the years) was in the form of his life coming into this. I don't want to see Temba anywhere near a T20 protea side for a long, long time.
The other option was to pick Linde ahead of Maharaj/Shamsi and bat him at 7. Could've kept Parnell or Jansen at 8 to give the lower order some insurance.

Bahseph

State Captain
The only reason there was press about him going unsold in the auction a month or so ago was because he was the T20 captain,not because he is such a good player that the teams were being crazy for not selecting him.

The other option was to pick Linde ahead of Maharaj/Shamsi and bat him at 7. Could've kept Parnell or Jansen at 8 to give the lower order some insurance.
Linde has got a really raw deal of late. You need guys at 7/8 who can launch a few from the get go. And Linde's ability with the bat would make him a more attractive T20 cricketer than Maharaj for me. But he was out of the thinking when they went with Bjorn Fortuin over him!

It's like the players are there to make the team better,but the selections aren't happening. Just an aside,but all the time that they have afforded Phelukwayo to improve as a cricketer hasn't materialized at all. The fact that they had to go back to Parnell is an indictment of his progress IMHO.

Bahseph

State Captain
I read Bavuma being compared to Williamson and Finch in some places. The difference is that those two,and especially Finch, were excellent T20I players. Bavuma won't get you 20(13) or 10(7). It will probably be a run a ball knock.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I read Bavuma being compared to Williamson and Finch in some places. The difference is that those two,and especially Finch, were excellent T20I players. Bavuma won't get you 20(13) or 10(7). It will probably be a run a ball knock.
Yeah this is what annoyed me about the coverage of it. Really totally different situations.

Bahseph

State Captain
A part of me was just hoping that the other batters come off so Bavuma won't be that big of an issue, but thinking of it after they were eliminated made me realize how ludicrous that is :blink:.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A part of me was just hoping that the other batters come off so Bavuma won't be that big of an issue, but thinking of it after they were eliminated made me realize how ludicrous that is :blink:.
It's especially problematic to have an opener you hope just gets out in the first over when you also have the worst 7-11 in the competition. Leaves a lot on a few players.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Rabada deserves a fair bit of flak for being terrible on helpful decks. Bowled a load of junk against both Pakistan and Netherlands. 2 wickets in the whole tournament. Just not good enough.

Linde is a gun cricketer and should definitely be in the side. Hendricks and Brevis can come in too. SA have some legit options at least.

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
I think Rabada deserves a fair of of flak for being terrible on helpful decks. Bowled a load of junk against both Pakistan and Netherlands. 2 wickets in the whole tournament. Just not good enough.

Linde is a gun cricketer and should definitely be in the side. Hendricks and Brevis can come in too. SA have some legit options at least.
I agree Rabada was disappointing

loterry1994

International Debutant
South Africa had the right team they just somehow chocked this badly. I think it was the biggest upset in terms of betting odds this whole World Cup. I don’t think you can blame whether or selection or whatever in this they had it in their own hands and the easiest team in the group to beat. They really had the bowling to trouble the big teams if they made the semis

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Forgot about Linde. Always been very impressed the limited times I've seen him. Even on his test debut in India a few years ago, he contributed well with bat and ball and looked the part at this level

Socerer 01

International Captain
Anyone knows why Linde is suddenly off the radar? All I remember is Maharaj coming in for a series and then Linde going out of fashion slowly

Ironic that Bavuma wasn't the reason that South Africa lost the last two games though after being so poor for long. Phehlukwayo also looked good a few years ago, not Jansen level good but still decent enough to be a handy 5th bowler. Why has he regressed this badly since Boucher came in?