• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

State Captain
Yeah I can rationalize the Zondo selection. Especially considering he just scored a double ton but he is probably not going to get a Test call up. Parnell being back is surprising. But he is competing with Hulk and Lucky. Still think Mulder should be our go to allrounder irrespective of format.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
There is a reluctance to give the youngsters opportunity to find their feet and develop. Want to pick older players and expect them to perform. But also still seems to give the older players long opportunities.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Ideally would have liked beddingham and olivier in the squad but neither has probably done enough in the first 2 four day rounds.

Bahseph

State Captain
With the Two test tour of New Zealand coming up we are going to be getting 5 Tests in about 2 1/2 months...feels like Christmas!

Bahseph

State Captain
Let's talk some Kolpaks gents. Who do you think has a realistic chance of making it back into the setup? Parnell caught me off guard I must admit.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Kyle Abbott too old to be a realistic option nowadays? 34, probably seen better years. Could maybe see harmer getting into a subcontinent squad but him leapfrogging either of Linde or Maharaj seems unlikely

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think the most likely is Duanne Olivier, if we have injury in the bowling lineup. Harmer as a very outside chance for subcontinent. The rest would be some of the younger batsman (like Bedingham) who left but who have now been forced to return. But they will probably have to prove themselves for a season or two.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Any decent darker skin batsmen who were kolpak? Would be nice to see either bavuma be replaced or another batsmen in redball.

Dendarii

International Debutant
There was an article on Cricinfo which suggested that Rossouw and Olivier are the most likely to make a return. It was by Firdose Moonda, so make of that what you will, but it would make sense for it to be those two.

An argument in favour of Harmer would be that he's a right armer while all the other spinners are left armers. So that might come into play when playing more than one spinner in the subcontinent, but for now he would be behind Maharaj and Linde in the pecking order.

Bahseph

State Captain
I agree on Olivier. Who is our third seamer in Tests? Rabada and Nortje are locks. Then you have Ngidi,Sipamla and Stuurman knocking about. I think it's a possibility.

Rossouw in T20 cricket won't be the worst selection imo. I don't know if he has lost a step but I always rated his LO batting.

With Piedt out of the equation now it's really between Subrayen and Harmer as quality offspinners in the domestic setup. Subrayen has some action issues and he is more suited to LO stuff as well. Linde is someone I really like as a cricketer so I think he has earned the right to be Maharaj's deputy.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Thinking about it a bit more, Olivier's not in the South Africa A squad, so possibly the seamers currently playing have got the edge over him. Maybe Dupavillon as well, and given the way that the selectors often think, I wouldn't rule out Parnell making a comeback...