• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Other than Smuts and Hendricks I'm not against the other selections. Potentially a big series for Klaasen, Malan and Verreynne with the bat. I like the look of Sipamla. Could be a handy 50 over bowler for us. I do love me some Keshav, but I'd still pick Linde over him for the big hitting.
I think Keshav may be more reliable than Linde as a bowler.

But I seriously wouldn't be against looking at Linde to see how his limited overs bowling would shape up. Because as a package the reward could be greater with his batting like you mentioned.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Maharaj has had a couple of decent outings with the bat this season. Not at a particularly high strike rate, but they did come in matches which perhaps weren't conducive to quick scoring. But yeah, Linde has been a bit unlucky - you can't really criticise the selection of Shamsi and Maharaj over him, but you do get the feeling he could have an impact at international level if given the chance.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Linde has not been great with the ball recently. And Maharaj has been phenomenal, so going Maharaj was the right call. Maharaj batting has also improved. But in the near future we need both to be in the squad consistently. Difficult to do because they are both the same sort of left arm.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
But ultimately why are we discussing the batting of our bowlers? Because 5 of our top 6 is pathetic. Outside QDK we see nothing from anybody (except maybe Bavuma couple of innings). And I still don't think they getting the selection right.

SeamUp

International Coach
Janneman Malan and Verreynne funnily enough haven't put a score up this domestic one-day season but are in the SA squad.

Not saying they weren't the right choices but there seems so much uncertainty on ultimate quality v quality v form and especially with Zondi & supporters (Boucher/Nkwe/Smith/Prince) seemingly finding it tough to judge our young batsman and where they stand.

I'm more than happy to let the T20 team stay for those who have the numbers. Think it is tough for a young cricketer to come into a team with so much uncertainty and have so little time to prove themselves in risk-based cricket.

Test and 50-over side is where we need to get selections right moving forward and the SA and SA A squads for the Windies will be very interesting.

I mean where do Pieter Malan, Eddie Moore, Keegan Petersen, Theunis de Bruyn, Zubayr Hamza and that type stand ?

Roelofsen is having a great season in both formats.
Ackerman, van Tonder & Verreynne, Makwetu are having great 4-day seasons.
Rickelton a great 1-day season.
de Zorzi ok in both formats without being dominant.
J.Malan, Breetzke, Qeshile really mixed seasons.
Mulder has no cricket behind him.

Limited overs bashers. Marais done nothing. Snyman, Lubbe and Potgieter may have claims ?

But by watching them. Tell me their ultimate quality and then say I want to work with them. I would want them to at bare minimum experience the SA A tour working with Prince and his staff but they also must be of a high quality and experience ie fast bowling (Donald ?) and would maybe get Robbie P with the spinners.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
100 %
Janneman Malan and Verreynne funnily enough haven't put a score up this domestic one-day season but are in the SA squad.
Are they picking on form or ability? I am happy to give these guys a chance but what of Rickelton and Roelofson etc.

Not saying they weren't the right choices but there seems so much uncertainty on ultimate quality v quality v form and especially with Zondi & supporters (Boucher/Nkwe/Smith/Prince) seemingly finding it tough to judge our young batsman and where they stand.
Hence my comment awhile back of not having people who they trust to speak to about the youngsters? Ford, Jennings etc.

I'm more than happy to let the T20 team stay for those who have the numbers. Think it is tough for a young cricketer to come into a team with so much uncertainty and have so little time to prove themselves in risk-based cricket.
I understand the WC20 is coming but if that becomes a main focus of not doing the right thing now, then is it worth the sacrifice? Are we going to win this WC20 with current experinced players. No way, nah, never. I think we should be giving all the most talented youngsters freedom to play without judgement and repercussions.

Test and 50-over side is where we need to get selections right moving forward and the SA and SA A squads for the Windies will be very interesting.

I mean where do Pieter Malan, Eddie Moore, Keegan Petersen, Theunis de Bruyn, Zubayr Hamza and that type stand ?

Roelofsen is having a great season in both formats.
Ackerman, van Tonder & Verreynne, Makwetu are having great 4-day seasons.
Rickelton a great 1-day season.
de Zorzi ok in both formats without being dominant.
J.Malan, Breetzke, Qeshile really mixed seasons.
Mulder has no cricket behind him.

Limited overs bashers. Marais done nothing. Snyman, Lubbe and Potgieter may have claims ?

But by watching them. Tell me their ultimate quality and then say I want to work with them. I would want them to at bare minimum experience the SA A tour working with Prince and his staff but they also must be of a high quality and experience ie fast bowling (Donald ?) and would maybe get Robbie P with the spinners.
The most talented and best of these youngsters need to be selected now, and given opportunity to develop at top level. I understand that is not ideal, but it is where we are now as SA cricket. Pick them in the SA 'A' line up, pick them in the national squads but pick them. 18 months ago people where talking about dropping QDK because he was in terrible form, anybody sensible knew that was stupid. Class is permanent form is temporary.

And I am tired of the limited over basher moniker. A play may be better in LO than Tests or vice versa but quality tells, the talented will excel in both. Yes in LO you need those allrounders and power hitting at 6-8, which we struggling with right now. But your best batsman are your best. At SA team peak our best batsmen played all the formats, there is a reason for that, even if jobs changed a little.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Any reason why Nortje isn’t in the ODI squad? They didn’t even name him as a replacement for Rabada.
And their “resting” van der Dussen and Pretorius. When is the last time they won a series, why are they resting people?
On the face of it Rabada being out isn’t much of a loss. He hasn’t played a ODI since July of last year, had an utterly forgettable WC and has been very disappointing in the past twelve months but by the same token you would take Rabada over Beuran Hendricks any day of the week. You can’t see the 40+ ODI bowling average Hendricks has getting any better here. Quicker South Africa become a spin bowling side in limited overs cricket the better.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
According to Cricinfo, he is in the squad.
That's good at least. Always exciting to watch and be a real challenge against Warner and Finch upfront. Didn't watch the 3rd 2020 game but he was excellent at PE and you think South Africa's best bet against Australia is to play them on tired surfaces and you may get that at Paarl.

SeamUp

International Coach
Spots were taken up by Reeza Hendricks and JJ Smuts v England are now with Janneman Malan and Kyle Verreynne. Even Klaasen wasn't in the ODI side v England.

Bahseph

State Captain
It's a move in the right direction. This is the type of knock we know Klaasen can play, he just doesn't do it often enough.

SeamUp

International Coach
It's a move in the right direction. This is the type of knock we know Klaasen can play, he just doesn't do it often enough.
Mixture of power and creative strokes is what we needed to add to our middle order and he brings it. We lose peak Duminy and AB and we needed a Klaasen type to balance of a Miller.

Still think we need to get the number 7 position sorted now.

SeamUp

International Coach
Loads of talent to work with in SA. There really is. Even with the player drain.

Cobras
J.Malan, P.Malan, Hamza, Bird, Verreynne, Smith, Linde, Piedt, Ntini, Paterson, Burger
Warriors
Breetzke, Moore, Vallie, Second, Qeshile, Smuts, Marais, Magala, Nortje, Sipamla, Tait (de Klerk/Matthews/Stuurman)
Dolphins
Erwee, Roelofsen, Ackerman, Miller, Zondo, Muthusamy, Phehlukwayo, Maharaj, E.Bosch, Subrayen, Dupavillon (Makhanya/Cele)
Lions
Rickelton, R.Hendricks, Bavuma, vd Dussen, Mulder, Lubbe, D.Pretorius, Fortuin, Rabada, Hawken, B.Hendricks (Richards, Parsons, Potgieter)
Titans
Elgar, Markram, de Bruyn, du Plessis, de Kock, de Zorzi, Klaasen, Galiem, Dala, Ngidi, Shamsi (C.Bosch)
Knights
Snyman, Gous, Petersen, van Tonder, van Biljon, Makwetu, Coetzee, Jansen, von Berg, Baartman, Budaza

Not including T20ists de Villiers, Morris, Steyn, Tahir

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Quite like that. Linde has the ingredients. Can clear the ropes and score 50s at quicker than a run ball from number 7. It is his bowling that will be tested. Maybe to slow through the air for limited overs cricket.

Faf ? Trying to understand the rationale.

Agree on JJ Smuts. Almost null and void with those batting options and 2 slow-left-arm spinners who can hold a bat. Like him loads though but domestic is his stuff.

SeamUp

International Coach
Not sure if this will be the tour to find answers on this but are B.Hendricks and Sipamla 4th and 5th seamer in line behind Ngidi, Rabada, Nortje.

So 1 spot for Hulk/Lucky now for an Asian trip ?

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
Can anyone tell me why Steyn played one T20 and now is playing in the PSL? There are two SA ODIs left. Surely country comes first.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Can anyone tell me why Steyn played one T20 and now is playing in the PSL? There are two SA ODIs left. Surely country comes first.
He is only playing for the T20 WC. The ODI side is being used (or should be) to rebuild for the test team and WC.