• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Reeza Hendricks

People thought it was tough he missed out on the WC. For me it was only because Hashim was picked and Reeza could have been picked ahead of him. But Reeza was given a seriously long rope and didn't take it.

Here we are back where we were.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The most frustrating part of the new leadership and coach, is the feeling that nothing has actually changed in selection. Maybe even more conservative.

Bahseph

State Captain
I like that Ngidi has lost weight and looks fitter, but has he already lost that extra pace that made him so dangerous? I dearly hope not. I wasn't sold on the Smuts selection but after the first game I understand it. I'm sure Reeza Hendricks is a good chap, but I don't see what they are doing with him.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Are guys like AB, Morris , Steyn and Tahir available for the T20WC ?

Duminy officially retired from all cricket. Morkel is Kolpak.

I know we said it at the time but Smuts/Linde could have got a gig at the WC in England.
AB nothing has been officially announced. I don't think he will. Morris I`m unsure about. As far as I`m aware Steyn and Tahir have made themselves available.
Steyn selected for the Eng T20's. No ABdV, which does not surprise me.

SeamUp

International Coach
The continual lack of backing young/younger talent is a clear path they taking.

"We are pleased with the group that we have selected for this upcoming T20 series against England. We have once again taken the opportunity to reward some of the hard workers of our domestic franchise system while some of our key senior players continue with their much-needed rest period and we have again, put our faith in Quinton (de Kock) to lead this group of exciting cricketers, picking up where he left off in India where he showed exemplary leadership," said CSA Acting Director of Cricket, Graeme Smith said
Proteas T20 squad:

Quinton de Kock (captain, Titans), Reeza Hendricks (Lions), Temba Bavuma (Lions), Rassie van der Dussen (Lions), David Miller (Dolphins), Pite van Biljon (Knights), Dwaine Pretorius (Lions), Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins), Jon-Jon Smuts (Warriors), Beuran Hendricks (Lions), Tabraiz Shamsi (Titans), Lungi Ngidi (Titans), Sisanda Magala (Warriors), Bjorn Fortuin (Lions), Dale Steyn (Titans), Heinrich Klaasen (Titans).

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah the T20 squad looks like it could with freshening up. No Janneman Malan is a surprise

I'd go..QDK, Smuts, Bavuma, VDD, Miller, Van Biljon, Phehlukwayo, Fortuin, Magala, Steyn, Hendricks at least for the first game

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The continual lack of backing young/younger talent is a clear path they taking.
Truly, pathetic. And this will further hurt SA cricket. Because when the SA side is in the same place 2 years from now, the future administration will use this poor selection policy as an excuse to select players for other political reasons.

I wonder how much this selection has to do with the group of Boucher, Faf and Smith (maybe Kallis) selecting the older generation they know better and are more comfortable with?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the T20 squad looks like it could with freshening up. No Janneman Malan is a surprise

I'd go..QDK, Smuts, Bavuma, VDD, Miller, Van Biljon, Phehlukwayo, Fortuin, Magala, Steyn, Hendricks at least for the first game
Magala should not play. Not fit enough.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I wonder how much this selection has to do with the group of Boucher, Faf and Smith (maybe Kallis) selecting the older generation they know better and are more comfortable with?
I think it may have a lot to do with the T20 World Cup later this year. It looks to me as though they're trying to find players they can take to the tournament, so their usefulness beyond the next 9-12 months would be of lesser consideration.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think it may have a lot to do with the T20 World Cup later this year. It looks to me as though they're trying to find players they can take to the tournament, so their usefulness beyond the next 9-12 months would be of lesser consideration.
No J. Malan, Marco Marais and no Verreynne. I like Pite van Biljon, think he is an excellent player, but he should not be in the team in front of those three. Never mind the in-form Rickelton and Roelofsen. I can not believe that the current players are being picked on form or raw ability looking at the squad. It is 'experience' as the only criteria so far that I have seen.

I am surprised they have not picked Kleinveldt or Frylinck yet!

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Get Marco Marais in, the more players who have played in the DCL the better. Bloke smoked them for Lewdown.

Bahseph

State Captain
Who's going to help us win the World Cup?
1. QDK
2. Not sure? Malan?
3. Faf.
4. VDD
5. Miller
6. Big, big role here at 6. Who is best suited to hitting them out the ground right away? Probably Marias.
7. Andile
8. Steyn
9. KG
10. Nortje/Ngidi
11. Tahir

That isn't a team that satisfies transformation targets.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Who's going to help us win the World Cup?
1. QDK
2. Not sure? Malan? Markram, Rickelton, Roelofsen, Jon-jon
3. Faf.
4. VDD
5. Miller
6. Big, big role here at 6. Who is best suited to hitting them out the ground right away? Probably Marias. Verryenne
7. Andile
8. Steyn
9. KG
10. Nortje/Ngidi
11. Tahir

That isn't a team that satisfies transformation targets.
And I think if you play all 3 of Faf, VDD and Miller you are playing the same team over an over again expecting different result... I am not convinced of Steyn either. T20 not really his format.

And transformation targets while very important, are also clearly being 2nded in selection, can see that by the very players selected in Test team. Smith has clearly intimated that the problems are at development level and he wants that sorted. Which he is very correct about.

Dendarii

International Debutant
No J. Malan, Marco Marais and no Verreynne. I like Pite van Biljon, think he is an excellent player, but he should not be in the team in front of those three. Never mind the in-form Rickelton and Roelofsen. I can not believe that the current players are being picked on form or raw ability looking at the squad. It is 'experience' as the only criteria so far that I have seen.
Well it's not just "experience". It seems to be experience combined with career stats, and if it is then they are quite possibly making the mistake of looking at combined provincial and franchise stats, and while we know how misleading those can be, I'm not sure if the selectors do.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Well it's not just "experience". It seems to be experience combined with career stats, and if it is then they are quite possibly making the mistake of looking at combined provincial and franchise stats, and while we know how misleading those can be, I'm not sure if the selectors do.
Boucher and Faf don't know about 3 day? I know Smith not selector but difficult to not believe he is not involved in selection in some way? Zondi has been around for awhile.

The players being selected are good players 'known' by the current coaching staff. Known as in played with and been around for an extended time, Boucher, Smith and Faf would have been playing cricket with many of these 30+ year old players being selected when they started out. They do not know the guys in the under 25 years of age category. And this is directly to do with the loss of continuity in the administration/coaching in the last 10 years; selectors/coach don't have the Graham Fords, Ray Jennings etc to go to and ask what do you think of these youngsters?

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I have not been so disinterested in a SA team and player selection since I`ve started watching cricket. I could not give a damn about 2/3rds of the current selected players.

SeamUp

International Coach
T20 Team

1. Quinton de Kock
2. Temba Bavuma
3. Rassie van der Dussen
4. Faf du Plessis
5. AB de Villiers
6. David Miller
7. Dwaine Pretorius/Andile Phehlukwayo
8. Chris Morris/Dale Steyn/Anrich Nortje
9. Kagiso Rabada
10. Lungi Ngidi
11. Imran Tahir/Tabraiz Shamsi

Excess (1 more likely a batsman)
Reeza Hendricks
Jon-Jon Smuts
Pite van Biljon
Bjorn Fortuin
Beuran Hendricks
Sisanda Magala

That is if we assume AB, Faf, Morris and Imran are in the mix.

Last edited: