• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Ngidi fit again?
Must be if included and part of the national fitness camp.

No Morris/Pretorius too who ended up having decent world cups.

Rabada a rest. Nortje too ? Markram obviously injured but don't think he will walk back into this team. Want him to focus on test cricket first.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
QDK as captain is also interesting when Bavuma is in the squad.... maybe not so clear cut for Bavuma as people imply.

My biggest issue with the squad is what are we building to with that squad? Who are we giving a chance to that we would also like to see make it into test team?

SeamUp

International Coach
My back-up 15

Breetzke
de Zorzi
van Tonder
Qeshile
Bedingham

Mulder
Marais
Makwetu
Smith

Dupavillon
Coetzee
Jansen
Burger

Linde
Maharaj/Subrayen

(Bird/Parsons to be the one's to watch to break-in to this) - their spin is going to give them massive value if they step up like they expected too.

SeamUp

International Coach
QDK as captain is also interesting when Bavuma is in the squad.... maybe not so clear cut for Bavuma as people imply.

My biggest issue with the squad is what are we building to with that squad? Who are we giving a chance to that we would also like to see make it into test team?
Points exactly to my next post. There is change but not enough change.

Will be interested of there is an SA A warm-up game.

Dendarii

International Debutant
No Morris/Pretorius too who ended up having decent world cups.
I'm surprised no Pretorius - they talk him out of going Kolpak and don't pick him? It also means that Phehlukwayo is the only allrounder in the squad, which isn't ideal.

Nortje too ?
That's an odd one given that he was picked for the World Cup. But since they've got four non-white seamers, you have to wonder if there's an attempt to get the numbers up...

SeamUp

International Coach
Guys not in WC squad. Add 3 years for the next WC.

Reeza 31
Bavuma 30
Smuts 32
Magala 29
B.Hendricks 30

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm surprised no Pretorius - they talk him out of going Kolpak and don't pick him? It also means that Phehlukwayo is the only allrounder in the squad, which isn't ideal.

That's an odd one given that he was picked for the World Cup. But since they've got four non-white seamers, you have to wonder if there's an attempt to get the numbers up...
Agreed. My same thought processes. Very brave against a very good England ODI team not to pick 1 of the gun fast bowlers in KG/Nortje too.

Magala is an interesting cricketer. Difficult action to line-up and bowls a massive heavy ball and can smash it out the park. The concerns though are fitness and consistency. Areas they may think they can work on.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Shouldn't these ODI's just be seen as a separate format, and therefore not about transitioning players to test cricket?

I think these are SA's first ODI's since the WC, so I don't think there should be any external pressure on players or additional reasons for picking them imo

Dendarii

International Debutant
Is this going to be make or break for Shamsi? With Tahir not there he's finally got an opportunity for an extended run in the side, so he needs to make something of it as his performances so far haven't been the most convincing and you can't keep picking him just because he's a left-arm wrist spinner.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Shouldn't these ODI's just be seen as a separate format, and therefore not about transitioning players to test cricket?

I think these are SA's first ODI's since the WC, so I don't think there should be any external pressure on players or additional reasons for picking them imo
What is the point of winning or losing a needless bilateral series to England with a bunch of guys that are unlikely to serve any long term plans for either of the test or LO teams? You want players showing what they are capable of with bat and ball looking long term, getting used to the international environment and the team structure. SA should be trying to rebuild.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Points exactly to my next post. There is change but not enough change.

Will be interested of there is an SA A warm-up game.
And change in the wrong direction. I think not picking Jason Smith is a problem, real ability, good form, still young and we are desperate for all-rounders.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
What is the point of winning or losing a needless bilateral series to England with a bunch of guys that are unlikely to serve any long term plans for either of the test or LO teams? You want players showing what they are capable of with bat and ball looking long term, getting used to the international environment and the team structure. SA should be trying to rebuild.
Okay cool, but aren't players like J Malan, Verreyne, Fortuin and Sipalma part of the rebuilding process? They're all inexperienced and have had some success at the domestic level, so isn't it the right time to bring them into a ODI series, to as you say, get them used to the "international environment and team structure"

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Okay cool, but aren't players like J Malan, Verreyne, Fortuin and Sipalma part of the rebuilding process? They're all inexperienced and have had some success at the domestic level, so isn't it the right time to bring them into a ODI series, to as you say, get them used to the "international environment and team structure"
I have no problem with those 4 selection... see how much play they get. Hopefully lots.

It is guys like Magala, JJ Smuts (even though I think he has been brilliant for Warriors), Beuran and Reeza. Not a big fan of the selections of Rassie, Bavuma and Miller either at this stage even if understand. If in 2 years time we still have these guys around the team probably have bigger problems; particularly if the guys we should be building with today are just starting at international level, when they could have already gained international experience.

If SA had a settled team of great international players and we where drip feeding in the next generation, no problems. We have a bunch of largely older statesmen and mediocre international players that are stalwarts, but not going to help rebuild the team. The sooner SA start the rebuilding process the sooner we get to a finished world class team again.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Got a funny feeling Bryce Parsons is gonna get pushed into the SA team pretty quickly... obviously highly rated. And seems to be doing the job with both bat and ball so far.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
You don't mind taking a few hidings as long as you have a team which can develop, hope will get better overtime and more importantly, to a viewer, are exciting to watch. There's nothing exciting about Smuts or Magala, Smuts is Richard Levi lite with the bat and bowling isn’t international standard, and you shouldn't need professional sportsman to go to a fat camp.
Small sample size but Beuran Hendricks averages over 100 in ODIs with the ball and always gets tap. Try him this week at home instead of Dane Paterson, what else can you do? but he shouldn't be in the limited overs side.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Reading some of QDK's recent interviews around the captaincy makes me think that he will be a better captain than I originally thought. Could be good for the team too, very different sort of captain than we have had in the past.

FBU

International Debutant
Looking further down the line, with du Plessis talking about retiring from Tests

1 Elgar
2 Markram
3 Malan
4 van der Dussen
5 Bavuma
6 Hamza
7 de Kock
8 Maharaj
9 Nortje
10 Rabada
11 Ngidi

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Looking further down the line, with du Plessis talking about retiring from Tests

1 Elgar
2 Markram
3 Malan
4 van der Dussen
5 Bavuma
6 Hamza
7 de Kock
8 Maharaj
9 Nortje
10 Rabada
11 Ngidi
Hopefully not, we have better players than Rassie, Malan, and Bavuma. Even Elgar probably needs to go sooner rather than later.

SeamUp

International Coach
I look at the current test team lining up against England. It is so bad I don't give two ****s so won't be watching much.