Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: South Africa team selection

Pretty much agree with the consensus. Don't see the point in changing the team too much.

I think Maharaj has done enough to keep his place, dependent on conditions of course. I was quite impressed with him in the first test. He troubled the batsmen quite a bit for someone who doesn't spin it a whole lot. Also doesn't bowl too many loose balls, can bat, and his mental state seems that of an international cricketer. And SeamUp's stats above suggest playing a spinner is the way to go.

The only real question is who comes in for Steyn? I've always been a Morkel fan, so if he is 100% fit, he's my guy. Just has that bounce and pace that is unmatched and irreplaceable. If not fit, Abbot slots in more than adequately.
    SeamUp likes this.

International Debutant kykweer.proteas's Avatar
    Id like to keep Maharaj as we would probably want some variation because I think we will likely spend a lot of overs in the field at Hobart.

I initially thought that maybe we should bring Abott in for Steyn, but then checked that Morkel is still ranked 13th in the world... would it be insane not to just pull him back into the team?

Poor Abott.

Also, We might go for 5 bowlers...

International Regular StephenZA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    I've never understood how anyone feels confident making pronouncements about the quality of international cricket coaches. We simply aren't privy to their methods, and it's impossible to gauge the extent of their involvement in tactics. Quite different, in other words, to football managers.
    Fair assessment. I think that "coaching" differs between coaches, managers, teams etc. Looking after an international team in any sport is a multi-role job and depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the entire "coaching" team depends on what role a coach will take on or is needed. You would need a very different team to coach an inexperienced set of players than a solid set of experienced players.
    "Here are the opinions on which my facts are based." - Humanity
    "Man occasionally stumbles on the truth, but then just picks himself up and hurries on regardless." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by kykweer.proteas View Post
    Id like to keep Maharaj as we would probably want some variation because I think we will likely spend a lot of overs in the field at Hobart.

I initially thought that maybe we should bring Abott in for Steyn, but then checked that Morkel is still ranked 13th in the world... would it be insane not to just pull him back into the team?

Poor Abott.

Also, We might go for 5 bowlers...
    We wont drop our 6 batsmen + keeper, combo. That means we would need to drop Cook and have QDK or Bavuma open.... can`t see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    We wont drop our 6 batsmen + keeper, combo. That means we would need to drop Cook and have QDK or Bavuma open.... can`t see it happening.
    Yep scratch that, thought Hobart was another flat pitch.

No real need to mess around with the team all too much. Just a case of which seamer comes in.

Cook will be under pressure though to preform. Can see Rossouw or Bavuma opening otherwise.

Mark Taylor and African geography and cultural expert, Ian Chappell, both think Faf should be our permanent skipper.

I think I agree.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Pro...ipper-20161108

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    Mark Taylor and African geography and cultural expert, Ian Chappell, both think Faf should be our permanent skipper.

I think I agree.

SA urged to keep Faf as skipper | Sport24
    Faf is a better captain that deVillers.. Whether Faf can maintain his place in the team is the first question (as ridiculous as it is)? 2nd though is loyalty between friends and team dynamics. It was obvious that deVillers wanted the captaincy, he was not totally happy when Amla was originally announced as captain, but supported the decision. How would this strain the team and friendship between 2 players if while out injured the coaching/selection panel came back and said. "Well we have found somebody better than you so we are taking it away again?" And because we are all adults and always do whats best for the team and have no personal emotions involved! deVillers will say "of course no problems...."

Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    Faf is a better captain that deVillers.. Whether Faf can maintain his place in the team is the first question (as ridiculous as it is)? 2nd though is loyalty between friends and team dynamics. It was obvious that deVillers wanted the captaincy, he was not totally happy when Amla was originally announced as captain, but supported the decision. How would this strain the team and friendship between 2 players if while out injured the coaching/selection panel came back and said. "Well we have found somebody better than you so we are taking it away again?" And because we are all adults and always do whats best for the team and have no personal emotions involved! deVillers will say "of course no problems...."
    I find it hard to take AB seriously (Or even Faf for the matter) Didn't they both complain that they were play too much international cricket... right before they spent 2 months at the IPL and Windies league?

Quote Originally Posted by kykweer.proteas View Post
    I find it hard to take AB seriously (Or even Faf for the matter) Didn't they both complain that they were play too much international cricket... right before they spent 2 months at the IPL and Windies league?
    I don`t think Faf complained...deVillers did come out in the media. But it was off the back of quite an emotional and intensive cricket year for SA... whether he should have turned down the CPL, probably, think he would have been already committed to the IPL. I can`t blame a man for trying to secure his future at the age of 33 with a limited sport life. But subsequently I think he renewed his vigour and I think he really wants to play for and captain SA...

AB gets way too emotional over losing imo. Worse than Steyn who just breathes fire for two hours and then cools down into a glacier again.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    AB gets way too emotional over losing imo. Worse than Steyn who just breathes fire for two hours and then cools down into a glacier again.
    It's probably his personality.

But would rather have our best batsman be upset about losing an international match rather than being 'meh' about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    It's probably his personality.

But would rather have our best batsman be upset about losing an international match rather than being 'meh' about it.
    Nah, both states suck imo. Somewhere in the middle is good.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Emotion clouds judgement at times, and perhaps that's the reason why AB isn't the most tactically astute leader. He leads by example and his standards might just be a little too high at times. This is in contrast to Faf who seems to understand the limitations of each team mate and uses them accordingly.

That said, I can't see them asking AB to step aside just yet. They want to keep him happy and he has barely captained in Tests for there to be a fair judgement. This team becomes massively stronger with AB at 4/5.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahseph View Post
    Emotion clouds judgement at times, and perhaps that's the reason why AB isn't the most tactically astute leader. He leads by example and his standards might just be a little too high at times. This is in contrast to Faf who seems to understand the limitations of each team mate and uses them accordingly.

That said, I can't see them asking AB to step aside just yet. They want to keep him happy and he has barely captained in Tests for there to be a fair judgement. This team becomes massively stronger with AB at 4/5.
    The best player in the side is seldom the best captain.

Most of the great captains in history have been players with technical or other limitations. Just off the top of my head, Smith, Border, Brearley (especially Brearley), Bacher, weren't especially talented players but excellent captains.

Now absolutely brilliant players - like Botham, Lara, Sobers - generally failed as captains.

I think Bradman may be an exception, but I am open to correction.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information