• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Hamza has looked massively uncomfortable against speed into the body this series. Massively concerning how he backs away to square leg which also opens up not getting behind the ball for knicks to the keeper/slips.

Dendarii

International Debutant
We had high hopes for Hamza, but now the question may need to be asked as to whether he's another Duminy/De Bruyn who isn't able to take his domestic form up to test level.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
We had high hopes for Hamza, but now the question may need to be asked as to whether he's another Duminy/De Bruyn who isn't able to take his domestic form up to test level.
The situation we have found ourselves in is so tough. How much rope do we give him ? Theunis' rope was so odd and so many gaps in between games but he just looked like someone who was too serious & it would be a struggle for him to make it into international level with every failure.

If Zubayr doesn't work I think the obvious 2 players for me at 3 will be Keegan Petersen and Raynard van Tonder. 2 players who are compact and solid but capable of scoring from good cricket shots to put the pressure back on to the fielding team.

It is important we get the balance right too when we picking young batsman hopefully moving forward. We can't have too many similar types.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
This is his 5th test and KP is talking ****... He is starting off at 3 in a struggling team. Hamza's talent is pretty obvious. I am not saying that he does not need to improve or possible make adjustments, but to disregard him his stupid. After 2 year (17 Tests or something) de Villers was avging mid 20's.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
And KP's implication that SA has no fast bowlers sitting at domestic level shows his ignorance of the SA's domestic players.

SeamUp

International Coach
This is his 5th test and KP is talking ****... He is starting off at 3 in a struggling team. Hamza's talent is pretty obvious. I am not saying that he does not need to improve or possible make adjustments, but to disregard him his stupid. After 2 year (17 Tests or something) de Villers was avging mid 20's.
The way he has got out and the way he looks facing fast and short pitched bowling doesn't look really bad to you ? Not sure I have seen many that bad watching SA test cricket ? It is the way he is getting out and the build up to it.

But almost the biggest concern is how he doesn't get behind the ball. So many wickets in SA are caught behind the wicket. Quality test bowlers will milk that deficiency. Probably the easiest one to remedy but the more concerning.

Not writing him off but we might be hoping for too much with Zubs.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
And KP's implication that SA has no fast bowlers sitting at domestic level shows his ignorance of the SA's domestic players.
Burger and Sipamla are the ones lined up. That is pretty clear - even Pollock spoke of those two. Said he watched Burger in the A game ??? Was he asked too ?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The way he has got out and the way he looks facing fast and short pitched bowling doesn't look really bad to you ? Not sure I have seen many that bad watching SA test cricket ? It is the way he is getting out and the build up to it.

But almost the biggest concern is how he doesn't get behind the ball. So many wickets in SA are caught behind the wicket. Quality test bowlers will milk that deficiency. Probably the easiest one to remedy but the more concerning.

Not writing him off but we might be hoping for too much with Zubs.
I have seen Hamza face fast bowling short to him and he has played it better. I think there is something not quite right at the moment but he looks nervous and tentative more than anything else. Even the way he got out to Bess. And that is more the state of the team.

Hamza has played 62 FC games in SA, which means he has been playing against guys like Olivier, Dupavillon and Nortje (at the very least) in the last 3 years and nobody worked out he could not play the short ball/rib tickler? I am pretty sure somebody would have noticed before.

SeamUp

International Coach
I have seen Hamza face fast bowling short to him and he has played it better. I think there is something not quite right at the moment but he looks nervous and tentative more than anything else. Even the way he got out to Bess. And that is more the state of the team.

Hamza has played 62 FC games in SA, which means he has been playing against guys like Olivier, Dupavillon and Nortje (at the very least) in the last 3 years and nobody worked out he could not play the short ball/rib tickler? I am pretty sure somebody would have noticed before.
Hopefully mate. Want him to come good.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
So except for QDK, none can score consistent runs? The balance of the side looks all wrong IMO. We are going in to games a batter lite.

Dendarii

International Debutant

neville cardus

International Debutant
I don't think that was the case.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

If I'm reading this correctly, his average was 40 after five matches, and while it did dip down to 35, that was after about 30 matches.

It was ODIs where he took longer to make an impression.

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com
The man of whom you want to make this argument is Jacques Kallis, whose average didn't get into the thirties until his twentieth Test.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Amla as well (even though he went away and came back).

Point being, that after 5 tests you can not look at averages. If the SA selectors/coaches/consultants seriously think Hamza can not play the short ball, then he needs to be dropped and sent back down. I don't think that is the case, I think he is playing tentatively in a struggling batting line-up and feels the pressure. I will say similar for Markram. Many of the younger guys are coming in and feel this pressure to perform while still finding their feet because the entire batting line-up is crap.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Thing is, Kallis and Amla were always seen as teenage prodigies with special talents.

Not saying Hamza won't but watching him this series I am massively worried.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket...-mounting-field-stand-cusp-going-2-1-against/
I disagree with this article. Hamza needs to get the same time we afforded the other failures like De Bruyn. Like Stephan said , his problem is that he's coming in with our backs against the wall and therefore playing tentatively. If we are willing to back Markram with all his struggles why not Hamza? At some point we'll have to pick players we believe in and stick with them.

SeamUp

International Coach
I disagree with this article. Hamza needs to get the same time we afforded the other failures like De Bruyn. Like Stephan said , his problem is that he's coming in with our backs against the wall and therefore playing tentatively. If we are willing to back Markram with all his struggles why not Hamza? At some point we'll have to pick players we believe in and stick with them.
I agree. I wouldn't leave him out. Would maybe take the pressure off him and put him to 5.

Thing is, we spoke about this on the previous page. What is enough rope ? Bavuma got 39. de Bruyn got 12 but it was all stop-start. By picking guys like Hamza, P.Malan and vand der Dussen and then leaving them out quickly would be like admitting to a mistake. Can't see them doing it. So basically these struggles could drag out for a while.Picking guys like Cook, Kuhn and guys with experience their rope is shorter. The whole reason in picking experienced domestic players is they can come and get into things quicker but I always say your true talent won't lie after 10-15 matches most of the time. That not being the case is rare. The other thing is, expecting players to go away to domestic and become better players is also a pipedream because the quality around the world isn't strong enough like it was 20 years ago so your failings aren't really tested properly.

Our senior batsmen have too much pressure on them and they not hitting high enough heights.

It is one big mess up. So basically I would relieve immediate pressure after this England series and try and build a team for the future.

Runs look good at domestic level but not all who make it will be able to adapt to over come their weaknesses.

I would look for the most adaptable young batsman. Who look comfortable against spin and pace even if the runs are not necessarily behind them as much as others but that will be brave & SA cricket selections haven't been brave since Mickey and Smith were a combination.

Last edited: