• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
I think they need to be a bit more ruthless with the A side selections. Rather than continually pick players who are never realistically going to have any sort of test career, blood the younger players there. Part of the reason that we're seeing the likes of Malan, Van der Dussen, Paterson, and Hendricks in the test squad is that they've been hanging around the A side for so long that there's almost a feeling that they've earned the right to be considered for higher honours even though there are younger players with more potential who should have come into the reckoning.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Would you be keeping Faf considering his test form, is he the right man to help rebuild the SA test team? With the T20 WC coming up, and his LO form, can see Faf around for awhile but not sure he is the right man to take us forward after this year.

Bahseph

State Captain
Faf has his positives, but he has never been a Test batsman on the level of AB, Hash or Smith,let alone Kallis. So when his returns start diminishing like this and the way he is getting out smacks of poor shot selection and impatience then yes, I think it's time to make a call about him. Faf, Malan and Rassie in the team is stopping a proper rebuild phase imo.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Faf has his positives, but he has never been a Test batsman on the level of AB, Hash or Smith,let alone Kallis. So when his returns start diminishing like this and the way he is getting out smacks of poor shot selection and impatience then yes, I think it's time to make a call about him. Faf, Malan and Rassie in the team is stopping a proper rebuild phase imo.
Pretorius/Paterson, also glad Philander is retiring. And finally I am wondering how much longer we can hang onto Elgar. Does enough to keep himself in a struggling team but no consistency.

Bahseph

State Captain
Pretorius/Paterson, also glad Philander is retiring. And finally I am wondering how much longer we can hang onto Elgar. Does enough to keep himself in a struggling team but no consistency.
I agree with you on Elgar. But that's been Elgar for the majority of his career. The one thing I'd say about Elgar and his dismissals is that they haven't been out of character. It's more a what you see is what you get from him. Faf just seems rushed at the moment.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
You hoped with Elgar with that great season he had a few years ago that he would take on responsibility and hold the batting together while we rebuilt but he has failed to do that?

SeamUp

International Coach
Would you be keeping Faf considering his test form, is he the right man to help rebuild the SA test team? With the T20 WC coming up, and his LO form, can see Faf around for awhile but not sure he is the right man to take us forward after this year.
Think we need a refresh. This should be Faf's last test series. Only problem is lack of genuine candidates to replace him. Nkwe saying Bavuma will replace Faf as test captain.

Re: Faf I just think he has reached his ceiling at 36 and has nothing more to play for really.

SeamUp

International Coach
I agree with you on Elgar. But that's been Elgar for the majority of his career. The one thing I'd say about Elgar and his dismissals is that they haven't been out of character. It's more a what you see is what you get from him. Faf just seems rushed at the moment.
You hoped with Elgar with that great season he had a few years ago that he would take on responsibility and hold the batting together while we rebuilt but he has failed to do that?
Think Elgar stays around supporting who ever the next captain is. The other opening position is the biggest concern at the moment.

I like what Bahseph says about him. What you see is what you get. You just felt he has been the only guy capable of getting a 100 along with re-newed de Kock.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Nkwe saying Bavuma will replace Faf as test captain.
To be fair, it was more something along the lines of him seeing Bavuma as a possible captain, which sounds like an answer to a specific question. But if not Bavuma then who? The only players with more than a handful of tests to their name are Elgar, De Kock, Maharaj, and Rabada - none of whom feel like particularly good choices.

And Bavuma did do exactly what he was told by scoring runs domestically. His problem though is producing those runs at test level.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Think we need a refresh. This should be Faf's last test series. Only problem is lack of genuine candidates to replace him. Nkwe saying Bavuma will replace Faf as test captain.

Re: Faf I just think he has reached his ceiling at 36 and has nothing more to play for really.
What Nkwe actually said is that Bavuma has the ability to be captain and a leader, if he got picked... which I do agree with. Whether he is a good enough batsmen, is another question. Bavuma seems to have the talent, but gets out playing lazy stupid shots. I actually rate Bavuma higher than most on ability but I am not convinced fully of his batting temperament.

SeamUp

International Coach
To be fair, it was more something along the lines of him seeing Bavuma as a possible captain, which sounds like an answer to a specific question. But if not Bavuma then who? The only players with more than a handful of tests to their name are Elgar, De Kock, Maharaj, and Rabada - none of whom feel like particularly good choices.

And Bavuma did do exactly what he was told by scoring runs domestically. His problem though is producing those runs at test level.

Franchise captains are mainly seniority. Good to see Marques Ackerman get the gig so young with Khaya Zondo wanting to leave the Dolphins.

Cobras : Dane Piedt (c), Pieter Malan (vc)
Warriors : JJ Smuts (c), Rudi Second (vc)
Dolphins : Marques Ackerman (c), ???
Knights : Pite van Biljon (c) , Grant Mokoena (vc)
Lions : Temba Bavuma (c), Rassie van der Dussen (vc)
Titans : Aiden Markram (c), Grant Thomson (stand-in captain)

Recent SA U19 captains : Parsons, Makwetu, van Tonder, Mulder

Bahseph

State Captain
If they don't want to give it to QDK then it has to be Elgar for now, while hoping that Markram sorts himself out and comes back into the team.

I've never been anti-Bavuma,but I don't feel like he is the 100 scoring batsman we need. But hey, if he forces his way back in and starts getting those hundreds then he could possibly get it after Elgar. The point is that the captain has to cement his place in the team.

SeamUp

International Coach

What Nkwe actually said is that Bavuma has the ability to be captain and a leader, if he got picked... which I do agree with. Whether he is a good enough batsmen, is another question. Bavuma seems to have the talent, but gets out playing lazy stupid shots. I actually rate Bavuma higher than most on ability but I am not convinced fully of his batting temperament.
Don't get me wrong (I'm not being critical because it is Bavuma) but it is an unusual step talking about a player who isn't in the squad to potentially replace the current captain. But he was probably asked a question along those lines like Dendarii says.

We do have serious issues for whoever will be next captain that is for sure.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If I picked a team today, barring injuries..

Moore
van Tonder
Hamza
Markram
K Petersen
QDK
Mulder
Maharaj
Nortje
Ngidi
Rabada

I think that is a good place to start the rebuild.

Then as possible batting replacements:
de Zorzi
Richards
J. Smith
J Malan
Bedingham
Roelofsen
Verreynne
Breetzke
Qeshile
Makwetu
Bird

Bowling replacements:
G. Linde
Sipamla
Coetzee
Dupavillon
Burger
Bosch
M. Jansen
Parsons

Can we really not build a quality team off those options?

And I would look at van Tonder and possibly QDK as captain options. van Tonder as long term stability, QDK because I feel he may bring a different energy to the team.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach

Moore
van Tonder
Hamza
Markram
K Petersen
QDK
Mulder
Maharaj
Nortje
Ngidi
Rabada

I think that is a good place to start the rebuild.

Then as possible batting replacements:
de Zorzi
Richards
J. Smith
J Malan
Bedingham
Roelofsen
Verreynne
Breetzke
Qeshile
Makwetu
Bird

Bowling replacements:
G. Linde
Sipamla
Coetzee
Dupavillon
Burger
Bosch
M. Jansen
Parsons

Can we really not build a quality team off those options?
Add Ackerman. Can we get them in camp tomorrow ? :D They can be like sponges and then we can start building again. Young guys focusing on their careers to be the best they can be (hopefully world stars) before family life etc starts playing a part.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant

Moore
van Tonder
Hamza
Markram
K Petersen
QDK
Mulder
Maharaj
Nortje
Ngidi
Rabada
I think all of us here would be in general agreement with that team. The problem is that we're not the ones picking it...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Add Ackerman. Can we get them in camp tomorrow ? :D They can be like sponges and then we can start building again. Young guys focusing on their careers to be the best they can be (hopefully world stars) before family life etc starts playing a part.
What pisses me off about that is while I was writing it up, I kept thinking how bad the current selection is. The rest of the world thinks we have no talent and picking what we've got available rather than selection is just short sighted, small minded and limited. If we had that team playing and losing to England I would be happier than what is currently happening.

Heboric

International Debutant
I am just wandering (see what I did there ) whats goint to happen at the Wanderers test regarding selection seeing as Rabada not going to be there. Not talking about skill level, if they pick Beuran there will be no black black players in the team

SeamUp

International Coach
Elgar & de Kock as left-handers have had it tougher facing the off-spinner and leg-spinner in rough in CT.

How Rassie played the spinner in CT and the right-hander dismissals here to Bess are disappointing.

Last edited: