• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Well the bowling was not really a problem in either of the SL matches in SL. It was our horrendous batting, that is where 90% of our problems exist. I think overall that we have a good enough bowling whichever way we go to bowl India out. Question is if we can put enough runs on the board. Hence Mulder (to continue beating the un-alive horse).
Whilst I agree our batting was useless I just seem to remember Lakmal being the only seamer for them because he was captain and he didn't even bowl.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Whilst I agree our batting was useless I just seem to remember Lakmal being the only seamer for them because he was captain and he didn't even bowl.
Well I think it may have been a bit similar as us now, do you play a dodgy seamer or your better spinner. Those wickets were not that bad. Obviously a raging turner we play the extra spinner, but I don't actually expect any bunsen burners, if it is a standard dryish flattish Indian wicket. Not sure Piedt will add more. Having seamers that can work with reverse may be better for us.

Just looked it up:

In Galle Rabada and Maharaj did the damage, Shamsi played.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-lanka-vs-south-africa-1st-test-sa-in-sl-2018

In Columbo we did not play the extra spinner and it hurt us.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-lanka-vs-south-africa-2nd-test-sa-in-sl-2018

But Shamsi did not doing anything at Galle! Does Piedt have a chance of doing more in SL, maybe? Obviously all pure speculation.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Well I think it may have been a bit similar as us now, do you play a dodgy seamer or your better spinner. Those wickets were not that bad. Obviously a raging turner we play the extra spinner, but I don't actually expect any bunsen burners, if it is a standard dryish flattish Indian wicket. Not sure Piedt will add more. Having seamers that can work with reverse may be better for us.

Just looked it up:

In Galle Rabada and Maharaj did the damage, Shamsi played.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-lanka-vs-south-africa-1st-test-sa-in-sl-2018

In Columbo we did not play the extra spinner and it hurt us.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-lanka-vs-south-africa-2nd-test-sa-in-sl-2018

But Shamsi did not doing anything at Galle! Does Piedt have a chance of doing more in SL, maybe? Obviously all pure speculation.
Agreed on that. Shamsi probably scared them off :laugh: Glad we have moved passed him in this format. Limited overs career going to be fully tested now.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
When talking about Gibbs/Breetzke being such all round players - how could I forget AB. His only way into a strong Titans team was to open and by scoring runs there from the get go they threw him in to open in tests for SA on his natural talent. Man, good memories that.
The first time I saw AB play I knew he'd be something special. Bretzke gives me that vibe but he needs to stop giving it away in the 20s and 30s. Getting consistent tons is what makes the selectors notice. Qeshile needs runs as well. Maybe give the gloves to someone else?

SeamUp

International Coach
Everyone is leaving. It's understandable but every day I wake up in beautiful Cape Town and realise how lucky I am to live here.

Proteas fitness trainer Greg King will end his tenure with the team after the upcoming Test series in India.

This was confirmed via a Cricket South Africa (CSA) press statement on Tuesday.

In the statement, CSA said King would be emigrating due to "family responsibility reasons". He has been a part of Proteas management team since July 2013.

"The last six years with the team have been some of the best years of my professional life. I have thoroughly enjoyed working in this environment with some of the best players in the world. It has also been an honour and a privilege to call some of the best coaching and support staff in world cricket my colleagues and I will miss being a part of this very special set up massively," King said in the statement released.

He continued: "I want to thank my amazing wife and family for allowing me to go out and live my dream, which included spending long periods of time away from home for so long. Their love and unwavering support has meant everything to me and I look forward to spending more quality time at home with them going forward.

"To the team, thank you for embracing me throughout this journey and I feel hugely fortunate to have had the chance to work with each and every person who has come and gone.

"I must also thank Cricket South Africa for the wonderful opportunity. It's a phase of my life that I will never forget and I wish everyone all of the best going forward."

CSA added that, as part of its succession planning, South Africa 'A' fitness trainer Tumi Masekela will join King in the Proteas camp for the Test series to begin the handover process.

Masekela will take over from King with immediate effect upon the conclusion of the latter's duties in India.

The first Test between India and South Africa gets underway on Wednesday, October 2 at 06:00 SA time

SeamUp

International Coach
The first time I saw AB play I knew he'd be something special. Bretzke gives me that vibe but he needs to stop giving it away in the 20s and 30s. Getting consistent tons is what makes the selectors notice. Qeshile needs runs as well. Maybe give the gloves to someone else?
Yeah. There are is loads for Breetzke to do still. Don't want to give it to easily. Needs red ball runs now after a very decent first season in white ball cricket (top 10 for both). My fear is the modern culture though in valuing your wicket isn't something young batsmen have ingrained anymore. That will be his biggest obstacle. I hope he has quality advice around him because it could get to a stage where the easy route is chasing the white ball money if the mentality of being a test cricketer isn't there first and foremost for a player like him.

On Qeshile. Loads to like. He looks like a player who can gear up and down. Just too important to SA's future to be a keeper unless QdK plans on giving up the gloves which at this stage I don't want.

SeamUp

International Coach
Lance Klusener is the new coach of Afghanistan. So that SA gig is gone.

Crazy even with Mickey leaving Pakistan - Scotland, Ireland, Bangladesh and now Afghanistan are all coached by Saffers. Cricket clearly one of our biggest exports . :)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So Rabada, Philander and Maharaj... plus who? Not sold on Piedt based on current performances.

Any chance we go in with the extra bowler, Philander at 7, if we think the pitch is flat enough?

SeamUp

International Coach
So Rabada, Philander and Maharaj... plus who? Not sold on Piedt based on current performances.

Any chance we go in with the extra bowler, Philander at 7, if we think the pitch is flat enough?
Don't think we have anywhere near the quality or confidence to not go in with 7 batsmen.

2 positions between Philander, Piedt & Ngidi will be condition dependent.

SeamUp

International Coach
Conditions may be different to the warm-up game but Philander might have bowled himself ahead of Ngidi.

Ngidi/Piedt not really sending out confidence. Does Nortje come into the picture ?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I really like Ngidi but I'm not sure how he'll go in these conditions. Personally think he should come into the equation again for the England series, and Nortje might be a good option here. Is he a 'hit the deck' kind of a bowler? If so, might be very useful with the up and down nature of the Indian decks

Also automatically thought Van Der Dussen was in the test squad too. Is it a bit of a surprise he misses out?

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Also automatically thought Van Der Dussen was in the test squad too. Is it a bit of a surprise he misses out?
I thought he'd be in the squad, but the selectors opted for Hamza and De Bruyn. That's a fair enough call as their domestic performances do justify their selections, and they've been the batsmen earmarked as the next in line for some time, so it's showing some faith in them. But while player loyalty isn't a bad thing, there is a danger in backing a player who ends up not delivering while ignoring one who's in the best form of his career.

Of course, there's no guarantee that Van Der Dussen would perform if picked for the test side, but since De Bruyn has struggled to make the step up I would have gone with Van Der Dussen. Although I would have also had Mulder there, so clearly I'm not thinking along the same lines as the selectors.

SeamUp

International Coach
I really like Ngidi but I'm not sure how he'll go in these conditions. Personally think he should come into the equation again for the England series, and Nortje might be a good option here. Is he a 'hit the deck' kind of a bowler? If so, might be very useful with the up and down nature of the Indian decks

I would say Ngidi is at his best back of a length relying on a bit of movement and bounce. You.could argue Philander is the same but slower in pace and more consistent.

I wouldn't describe Nortje as hit the deck. Probably as much to do with conditions growing up in PE. Likes a bouncer, likes hit back of a length but also gets it full.

Like Dendarii says though - SA cricket always been big on pecking order though.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Think that Philander was always a first choice. It will be between Piedt, Nortje and Ngidi based on conditions for 4th bowler spot. Piedt has not given confidence based on current performances. I would have preferred Ngidi based on his past accurate wicket to wicket bowling if the pitch goes up down, but seems to be going for runs at the moment. Think that Nortje is a bit more in the Olivier mold, which is a concern from an Indian non-bouncy pitch, but seems to be in form and putting up the numbers.

I am surprised by the selection of Rassie, don't think he adds anything to the squad. I can only believe they are trying to protect Mulder.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I`m going to put this here because I don't want to clog up the tour thread with my selection rant.

The only way this team selection makes sense is if it was put together back in SA before the SA 'A' tour even occurred. With the belief that Muthusamy would play as an all-rounder option for a team with weaker top order batting. It would then also explain Mulders non-inclusion even after doing well on the SA 'A' tour and both Piedt and Muthusamy selection directly into the team even though that did not have a good tour. I find it very difficult to believe that Nkwe and Faf chose this team in the last few days.

Dendarii

International Debutant
The only way this team selection makes sense is if it was put together back in SA before the SA 'A' tour even occurred. With the belief that Muthusamy would play as an all-rounder option for a team with weaker top order batting.
It's almost like they've decided that they're going to have an all-rounder in the side no matter what and because it's India they've picked a spinning all-rounder even though he's not actually good enough to bat at 7. This isn't actually a new thing as we've seen Philander at 7 quite a few times even though he's not a 7. The difference then was that we got away with it because we had AB and were blasting teams out on helpful home pitches.

SeamUp

International Coach
It's almost like they've decided that they're going to have an all-rounder in the side no matter what and because it's India they've picked a spinning all-rounder even though he's not actually good enough to bat at 7. This isn't actually a new thing as we've seen Philander at 7 quite a few times even though he's not a 7. The difference then was that we got away with it because we had AB and were blasting teams out on helpful home pitches.
We probably should have got the heads up when Muthusamy played the last SA A game over Hamza when they had to accommodate Zondo.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Team should be

1. Elgar
2. Markram
3. Hamza
4. Faf
5. de Bruyn
6. Bavuma
7. de Kock
8. Philander
9. Maharaj
10. Rabada
11. Ngidi/Nortje (leaning Ngidi).

If it truly is a dustbowl, swap 11 for a spinner (although honestly I have no idea which you pick at this point. Probably Piedt still).

We can't carry a bit-part player when our batting and bowling is both week. Pick genuine batsmen and genuine bowlers.

One amendment to this team could be switching de Bruyn and Bavuma. Bavuma is just more solid and reliable at this point in their respective careers, although de Bruyn has more long-term potential in the top 5.