• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Actually disappointed. Klaasen hasn't exactly been in fine touch for quite a while now and Verreynne would have been more like for like in Second too in style of batsmanship.
This is where the structural loyalty becomes a problem. Verreyenne is obviously someone for the future and in good form. Not sure Klaasens is going to give us much long term.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Vilas should be playing as a batsman he is scoring tons of runs and you need a solid player in your middle order before de kock comes in

Ulzan69

Banned
Southafrica tour of India
They left out Faf & makes Kock
Captain in 3 t20i - Steyn desires to play in India but selectors left him out Dussen will be kocks deputy.

Nz did same in SL
Left out KW and make Tim Southee Captain for 3 t20i

MrPrez

International Debutant
I'm not a fan of Bavuma but I don't mind his selection really. Hopefully we will replace him long-term but for now he's a good guy to have at 6 to provide a degree of safety to what should be a younger top order.

Verreyne should definitely be there, for example. I wouldn't mind a batting line-up that has something like

Elgar
Markram
Hamza
Faf
Verreyne
Bavuma
de Kock

De Bruyn will be fine by all accounts but still feels really strange that Verreyne isn't there at least as the replacement back-up keeper. I'm assuming its because they don't want to debut him against India in India as it might crush his confidence.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
II'm assuming its because they don't want to debut him against India in India as it might crush his confidence.
I think this may be 100% correct. The new guys in the squad are all a bit more mature and could possible handle the pressure through experience. Suspect not selecting Mulder, Verreyne may be just be a bit of lets just get on with it, don't throw anybody to the wolves unnecessarily. SA rebuild starts this summer after sorting out administration?

MrPrez

International Debutant
I think this may be 100% correct. The new guys in the squad are all a bit more mature and could possible handle the pressure through experience. Suspect not selecting Mulder, Verreyne may be just be a bit of lets just get on with it, don't throw anybody to the wolves unnecessarily. SA rebuild starts this summer after sorting out administration?
Yeah. Mulder is probably both this and the whole spin vs pace deal. But Verreyne is probably exclusively this.

Qeshile might get a go in our next easier home series as at least a squad member, too. Perhaps not making a debut yet, but "experience" in the squad and all that jazz.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Quite possibly. This squad comes across as a "safe" selection, not taking too many chances. Which is why our squads looked different as we were all for shaking things up.

SeamUp

International Coach
Changes to the SA A squads in coaching and playing staff.

Cricket South Africa have confirmed a number of changes to the South Africa 'A' team that will tour India from August 25 to September 21, 2019.

The changes stem from the fact that a number of players initially selected for the tour have now been elevated to the Proteas squad. Changes have also been made to the coaching staff with Malibongwe Maketa replacing Russell Domingo as coach after he was named as the new coach of Bangladesh.

Andrew Puttick is the new assistant coach after Enoch Nkwe was named as the interim team director of the Proteas.

The tour consists of five one-day matches to be followed by two four-day matches against India A.

Changes to the one-day squad are as follows:

Kyle Verrynne replaces Gihahn Cloete (injury).

Marco Jansen replaces Wiaan Mulder iInjury recovery), but Mulder should be ready to take part in the four-day series.

Changes to the four-day squad:

Marco Jansen replaces Anrich Nortje (Proteas selection)

Lungi Ngidi replaces Beuran Hendricks (Proteas selection)

Theunis de Bruyn replaces Temba Bavuma (Proteas selection), but De Bruyn will only play the second four-day match.

Heinrich Klaasen replaces Rudi Second (injury)

Changes to coaching team:

Malibongwe Maketa replaces Russell Domingo as coach

Andrew Puttick replaces Enoch Nkwe as assistant coach

Squads

SA 'A' one-day squad

Temba Bavuma (Highveld Lions, captain), Matthew Breetzke (Warriors), Kyle Verrynne (Cape Cobras), Junior Dala (Titans), Theunis de Bruyn (Titans), Bjorn Fortuin (Highveld Lions), Beuran Hendricks (Highveld Lions), Reeza Hendricks (Highveld Lions), Heinrich Klaasen (Titans), George Linde (Cape Cobras), Janneman Malan (Cape Cobras), Marco Jansen (Knights), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Sinethemba Qeshile (Warriors), Lutho Sipamla (Warriors)

SA 'A' four-day squad

Aiden Markram (Titans, captain), Theunis de Bruyn (Titans), Zubayr Hamza (Cape Cobras), Lungi Ngidi (Titans), George Linde (Cape Cobras), Pieter Malan (Cape Cobras), Eddie Moore (Warriors), Senuran Muthusamy (Dolphins), Marco Jansen (Knights), Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras), Wiaan Mulder (Highveld Lions), Heinrich Klaasen (Titans), Lutho Sipamla (Warriors), Khaya Zondo (Dolphins)

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Puttick assistant SA A coach is a surprising pick. Good laid back character but prepared to do hard work through out his whole career at the same time.

Nkwe's support staff.

Assistant and batting coach : Klusener
Bowling : Vinnie Barnes
Fielding : Ontong

Stefan9

International Debutant
Puttick assistant SA A coach is a surprising pick. Good laid back character but prepared to do hard work through out his whole career at the same time.

Nkwe's support staff.

Assistant and batting coach : Klusener
Bowling : Vinnie Barnes
Fielding : Ontong
Klusener is apparently only for the t20 series and they will getting someone that is more experienced especially with indian conditions for the test series.

SeamUp

International Coach
CSA Spin camp done

Paul Adams
@PaulAdams39
“The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them.”
― Sir William Bragg
The #SpinCamp has certainly opened some minds and it has challenged...we move forward having had growth...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vilas was dreadful when he came to India in 2015. TBF, that entire team was lambs to slaughter on those pitches apart from a couple of doughty rearguards from Faf, Amla and AB.

SeamUp

International Coach
Thoughts from Zulu.

"From the outside and what I've seen, I just don't necessarily see that passion to play for South Africa anymore. That's something that the coaches will need to tackle and have a look at," he told Sport24 on Friday.

"That's just what it looked like. I haven't been in the system and I'm sure the guys were trying, but it just didn't look like it should.

"I think finding that passion of playing for your country again is half the battle.

"There is no other option ... we have to get things right."

"I think there are people in there who probably don't believe they can mix it with the best in the world," he said.

"The talent is all there."

"You don't just replace a Faf (Du Plessis), Dale Steyn, Hashim Amla or AB de Villiers ... it takes years to replace those guys," said Klusener.

"Those quality players leave huge gaps, so it is a challenge. Those players have also kept other players out of the team and some of those players are now on Kolpaks and playing overseas so we don't have that experience to draw on.

"If you take where South African cricket is now, it will take a long time.

"It's going to need some patience and understanding from a lot of people, but if there's some consistency with the right people in the right places then we've got half a chance.

"There is a long road to go before we can be contending."

"Enoch has done extremely well with the Lions. He is a genuine and down to earth guy who has South African cricket at heart," said Klusener.

"He has got everything he needs to the job as well as anyone else out there."