• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Stefan9

International Debutant
Not convinced van der dussen has done enough to get a test spot. Believe it will be between theunis and hamza.

SeamUp

International Coach
Test squad of India ?

Markram
Elgar
De Bruyn, Hamza, vd Dussen
Du Plessis
Bavuma
QdK
Mulder
Maharaj
Rabada
Piedt
Ngidi

1 of Hamza, vd Dussen, de Bruyn
Second
1 of Muthusamy/Linde or Philander
Nortje

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Elgar
Markram
Hamza
Faf
Bavuma/de Bruyn
QDK
Mulder
Maharaj
Piedt
Rabada
Ngidi

Nortje
vd Dussen
Dupavillion/Fortuin

This was the squad I guessed at the other day

I was unsure if it was going to be a 15 man or 13 man squad? if 13 man no vd Dussen or Dupavillion/Fortuin

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Not necessarily who I would pick, but who I think they'll go with. This is assuming a 15 man squad, so a starting 11 plus a backup batsman, keeper, spinner, and seamer.

Elgar
Markram
Van der Dussen/Hamza/De Bruyn
Bavuma
Du Plessis
De Kock
Mulder
Maharaj
Piedt
Rabada
Ngidi

Van der Dussen/Hamza/De Bruyn
Second
Shamsi
Philander

Out of Van der Dussen/Hamza/De Bruyn, I think it'll be Van der Dussen and whoever does best for the A side out of the other two. Shamsi and Philander wouldn't be my choice, but I don't think they would discard either of them in favour of someone new just yet.

And then maybe an outside chance for Qeshile instead of Second. I think it would be a mistake as it would be too early after just one season of first class cricket (and I also think it would be better for him not to be keeping regularly), but given transformation pressure and the lack of black batsmen I wouldn't be surprised if it were to happen.

Bahseph

State Captain
I know Faf and Vernon are still around but this is the new era now. Hamza, Mulder, Markram and QDK have to step up for me. We know that Bavuma is a good hand, and when in form Elgar is one of the best openers around, but they have limitations. Not too concerned with the bowling, I'm backing Keshav to be our mvp in this Test Championship.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I know Faf and Vernon are still around but this is the new era now. Hamza, Mulder, Markram and QDK have to step up for me. We know that Bavuma is a good hand, and when in form Elgar is one of the best openers around, but they have limitations. Not too concerned with the bowling, I'm backing Keshav to be our mvp in this Test Championship.
Hopefully along with the Markram Elgar part-time hand grenades.

I think Faf and QDK are going to have to hold our batting together. Maybe Markram to put some quick runs on early.

SeamUp

International Coach
Personally think it is the wrong decision. Nkwe still absorbing so much info - especially after only one season in franchise system and never having played international cricket.

We now go to the sub-continent where he has never been before with a young team.

No doubt what Nkwe achieved was superb. In time he would definitely be a candidate but not now.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I agree that it is to soon for Nkwe. His success or failure may come down to the support staff he picks and willingness to listen to advice from the few experienced players.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Personally believe playing experienced is over rated for a manager...None of Jake White,Kitch Christie,Jose Mourinho nor Trever Bayliss played at the top level but all reached the top of the management game.

I also disagree that Nkwe is inexperienced as far as managing/coaching goes. He has 10 years of experience at different levels, much more then boucher nor prince.

akilana

International 12th Man
Hopefully along with the Markram Elgar part-time hand grenades.

I think Faf and QDK are going to have to hold our batting together. Maybe Markram to put some quick runs on early.
Not expecting Bavuma to do anything? He had way too many chances and excuses. He is the one that needs to step up. If selection was on merit, he would still be competing for a spot.

SeamUp

International Coach
When the pressure is on in the sub-continent or you want to bounce ideas off with someone whether technically or mentally dealing with international level I know who I would want to have with me as a young player which is clearly the path we will be taking.

I will be surprised if we gain any success in the next while. Morale will drop. Hope Nkwe can get us moving forward but have my doubts. The platform for the next 6-10 years starts here for me.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Spin bowling Camp 17-23 August in India.

Would have been nice if Raynard went. I imagine Mulder has been before ?

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Not expecting Bavuma to do anything? He had way too many chances and excuses. He is the one that needs to step up. If selection was on merit, he would still be competing for a spot.
Bavuma has been moderately consistent with out doing anything great. He has not been our worst batsmen, unfortunately Amla held that distinction for the last while. Elgar was not great this last year and de Bruyn has not exactly been setting the world alight. Although I also think that Bavuma is under definite pressure to start scoring bigger runs rather than these 40's+.

I will be surprised if we gain any success in the next while. Morale will drop. Hope Nkwe can get us moving forward but have my doubts. The platform for the next 6-10 years starts here for me.
I definite think it will be a rebuild phase. But hopefully morale will stay good. As long as everybody is realistic and have goals that can be achieved it should be alright. I do think his immediate success could be down to who he picks as his support staff.

Van der Dussen rewarded with a CSA contract.
Good, very much deserved.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Bavuma has been moderately consistent with out doing anything great. He has not been our worst batsmen, unfortunately Amla held that distinction for the last while. Elgar was not great this last year and de Bruyn has not exactly been setting the world alight. Although I also think that Bavuma is under definite pressure to start scoring bigger runs rather than these 40's+.
I'm still in the "Bavuma's not actually as bad as everyone says he is" camp, although he does make it hard to remain in that camp at times, particularly of late.

At the risk of venturing into cherry-picking stats to prove my point, he's played 7 matches against Sri Lanka (more than any team apart from England) and only averages 13.07 against them. If you remove those matches then he averages 39.64, which looks a lot better than his career average of 33.00, and to have an average like that without the 100s to boost it does point to a level of consistency. But as you rightly say consistently scoring 40 isn't enough and he does need to start producing more than that.