• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Just hope some more big blows don't have to happen still but I fear India away and England home will ensure the true acid test.

So team manager then. Boucher or Prince or Nkwe most likely.
Batting : Who is there even bar Neil McKenzie ? We lost HD Ackerman. Guys like Smith/Kallis aren't involved in this and the previous generation like G.Kirsten, Cullinan etc is pretty much moved past.
I see Jonty Rhodes has applied for India fielding coach but we've been there. Keep Ontong or can you risk someone like Gibbs who seems to have wanted a role for a while,
Fast bowling is anyone's guess. We've had Donald/Langeveldt who are both overseas now. Who actually is there to keep challenging our gun fast bowlers ?
Spin bowling. See no reason to move from Claude Henderson or anyone challenging him.
I wondered if somebody like Nkwe could get the team manger role? Seems to be able to bring best out of his charges and has diverse experience in coaching not just within the local domestic structure, but the Netherlands gig, the women's game etc. Apparently has good man management skills with clear purpose. (But maybe just to inexperienced?). Then you can ask Prince if he wants to come in as batting coach if McKenzie does not want to come back? And/or maybe Boucher/Prince as director of cricket? But think they may stick with Van Zyl if he wants it for awhile?

Truth is with a total revamp of the structure and all candidates having questions surrounding them and we don't even know if CSA are willing to look outside the country again? Anything could happen.

Bolo

State Captain
Just hope some more big blows don't have to happen still but I fear India away and England home will ensure the true acid test.

So team manager then. Boucher or Prince or Nkwe most likely.
Batting : Who is there even bar Neil McKenzie ? We lost HD Ackerman. Guys like Smith/Kallis aren't involved in this and the previous generation like G.Kirsten, Cullinan etc is pretty much moved past.
I see Jonty Rhodes has applied for India fielding coach but we've been there. Keep Ontong or can you risk someone like Gibbs who seems to have wanted a role for a while,
Fast bowling is anyone's guess. We've had Donald/Langeveldt who are both overseas now. Who actually is there to keep challenging our gun fast bowlers ?
Spin bowling. See no reason to move from Claude Henderson or anyone challenging him.
Bit of a sidetrack, but he really should have played a bit more for Rsa. Before tahir came along, it was just him and shaw (LO only) who inspired any confidence.

SeamUp

International Coach
A lot of people talk about his success domestically before getting the England job twice. He helped develop players. His stint at Notts now though has been pretty poor at times but not sure if fully to blame.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I`m wondering if CSA have decided to try an English structure domestically (and for international team). It would probably fit better for what SA needs to achieve rather than continuing on with the Aus structure of 'strength vs strength'.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Lil OTT (or maybe not): What's the lineup gonna be like now for the Indian tour? Was hoping Steyn would play for one last time tbh.

Anyhoo, bowling cupboard looks bare, all of a sudden. To think that Olivier found it hard to get some games in despite his 5-fers a few months back. Bizzare.

Is Vernon even fit? (not that he'd be of much use in the SC)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
May/May not take Vernon not sure I want to see him in the SC. Rabada. Ngidi, Nortje, Du Pavillion should be leading contenders from current crop. Probably only be playing 2 of those, with Maharaj and Piedt likely in the team and hopefully Mulder.

Dendarii

International Debutant
May/May not take Vernon not sure I want to see him in the SC. Rabada. Ngidi, Nortje, Du Pavillion should be leading contenders from current crop.
Philander's fitness is starting to become more of a concern, but I think he's still got some test cricket left in him, and it would be ridiculous not to consider him for home tests. But even without him, the other four should be the ones making up our bowling attack going forward, and with them available the cupboard doesn't look particularly bare for now.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I agree that he should be in the team, but do we really see much of a chance that Dupavillion will actually be in the team?

I know he's properly cracked the Dolphins side now but I can't see the SA selectors being fans of the optics so soon after he was struggling to get selected for them..

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I agree that he should be in the team, but do we really see much of a chance that Dupavillion will actually be in the team?

I know he's properly cracked the Dolphins side now but I can't see the SA selectors being fans of the optics so soon after he was struggling to get selected for them..
His problems have largely been injury related. The fact that Nortje jumped ahead of him was due to his injuries. But he is definitely in the running.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rumours that Enoch Nkwe will be interim team manager.

Not sure if it is wishful thinking on some journalists part but unless there is inside info which there may be there was no confirmation or denial to Nkwe in the press conference on the go.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Some quotes from presser

Confirmation this morning that despite reports that Enoch Nkwe has been appointed as interim coach, the board are yet to meet and discuss who will take charge of the Proteas.

#CSA Corrie van Zyl will also act as a convener of selector until a permanent one has been appointed

Moroe confirms that the move to shake up the management structure within #CSA was because "we want to have an organisational culture that embodies Protea fire in a certain way".

#CSA Corrie van Zyl on the captaincy: We will look at how we approach that as we have an eye on 2023. Faf will be captain of the test team.

Dendarii

International Debutant
His problems have largely been injury related. The fact that Nortje jumped ahead of him was due to his injuries. But he is definitely in the running.
Yeah, Nortje's definitely ahead of Dupavillon right now, and with Philander still around he might not get a look in for a while. But that's fine as it gives him a chance to have an extended run of games to show that his injury problems are a thing of the past. It's not unreasonable for the selectors to be cautious and take some time before considering him, but if carries on the way he's been going recently then he has to come into the reckoning, even if it's not necessarily as part of the first choice attack.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
On another note... wonder what the chances Mickey Arthur and/or Grant Flower are interested in any available positions?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I am putting this here as it is a different discussion on Steyn. He has retired from only Test cricket; but will SA, and can they afford to, pick Steyn for the LO's stuff going into the future. We have been using the T20's as a test bed for up and comers and I feel we need to revamp the ODI side from scratch looking towards the future? Maybe one ODI as a send off? But I truly not sure if Steyn should be picked for the LO's matches.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Maybe one ODI as a send off?
Next year's Pink ODI perhaps?

He's not going to make the next World Cup, so you do have a point about not picking him for ODIs. But the T20 World Cup is next year, so maybe there's a case for trying to get him there.

Dendarii

International Debutant
So with Amla having retired, who takes his spot? Markram is the obvious leading candidate for the ODI side, but it's not quite so clear for tests. Hamza has already played a test, but I've a feeling that it might be Van der Dussen, which does make sense given how well he's done in the shorter formats. He's not in the A squad for India, which suggests to me that he's been bumped up to the test squad and would therefore come into the team with Amla gone.