• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
We've also probably lost 2 of the better limited overs players peaking this generation for the world cup in Rilee Rossouw and Colin Ackermann. You could argue Colin Ingram may have got into this WC squad too if we had everyone competing in best v best in 50-over limited overs comp if there was a shoot-out for the WC.
At least 2 of those 3 would have been playing this WC. But I am tired of crying over spilt milk. They made their choice, which I am fine with and lay no blame, it would have been nice to have them but they decided different and we can't worry about it now.

ABdV decided to retire, I think he did it from genuine exhaustion and having young kids at home, SA has gone through hard times from the previous Indian tour until now. I think he probably made the offer based on the SA ODI sides struggles, combined with a feeling of some guilt and maybe wanting to play in the WC. But he did it to late and that should be the end of it.

SeamUp

International Coach
At least 2 of those 3 would have been playing this WC. But I am tired of crying over spilt milk. They made their choice, which I am fine with and lay no blame, it would have been nice to have them but they decided different and we can't worry about it now.

ABdV decided to retire, I think he did it from genuine exhaustion and having young kids at home, SA has gone through hard times from the previous Indian tour until now. I think he probably made the offer based on the SA ODI sides struggles, combined with a feeling of some guilt and maybe wanting to play in the WC. But he did it to late and that should be the end of it.
It was more a case of trying to replace one of the worlds best batsmen so late in the cycle and the fact we already were short on competition due to losing those guys.

It is really easy to understand why we in the situation we are in.

We currently have guys like Erwee, Cloete, Zondo in our A team. P.Malan possibly in the 4-day A team. It says so much about where we are with that 26-32 batting generation in SA. Dry.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Not funny but that is enforcer of note lol

Ten batsmen have needed concussion checks after being hit on the helmet by Duanne Olivier since he joined Yorkshire this season - and it's barely June. @davidkhopps on a disturbing sequence for the former South Africa quick
https://t.co/R7cYiI5eiH

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It was more a case of trying to replace one of the worlds best batsmen so late in the cycle and the fact we already were short on competition due to losing those guys.

It is really easy to understand why we in the situation we are in.

We currently have guys like Erwee, Cloete, Zondo in our A team. P.Malan possibly in the 4-day A team. It says so much about where we are with that 26-32 batting generation in SA. Dry.
Yes we lost those players, but I don't think we could have done anything about it. Thing is I don't think we can blame losing those guys on quotas. Yes there is a problem with quotas at FC level. Hopefully moving back to a provincial system will help that. But all those 3 played international cricket. Rossouw had basically been playing in the ODI team and been backup batsmen for the test team. Both Colins still played franchise cricket for the Warriors until recently; and would have got a shot at the international teams, like a number of batsmen of lower quality than them have. And if you look at the current ODI team, Miller, Markram and Rassie are all there in the team and playing. So opportunity would have been had, and they would have been better players to have, but they decided not to stay because they got what they felt where better offers at the time. Can't do anything about that, it is not unique to cricket in SA.

Hence the tired of crying over spilt milk....

SeamUp

International Coach
We will always disagree on the topic. Your quality at the top depends what feeds it from beneath. Unless we produce stars like QdK, KG constantly we will be staring down the barrell.

I've heard there is a solidarity court case on the go to try remove quotas but doubtful it will work.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
We will always disagree on the topic. Your quality at the top depends what feeds it from beneath. Unless we produce stars like QdK, KG constantly we will be staring down the barrell.

I've heard there is a solidarity court case on the go to try remove quotas but doubtful it will work.
I`m talking about the opportunity afforded to those 3 players I think it would have been there. But whether they would have become as good a players playing in a system with quotas is another thing. Competition in the FC system needs to be improved for the long term good of the game in SA. You can clearly see the difference in players after getting experience in County cricket. I don't think we are supporting the FC levels and lower enough with regards to coaching skills and development.

Quotas won't be removed any time soon, unfortunately this discrimination around colour is allowed within our constitution.

SeamUp

International Coach
AB Tweet Alert

@ABdeVilliers17
All that’s important is that we should all focus on supporting the team at the World Cup. There is a long way to go and I believe the boys can still go all the way #ProteaFire

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
AB Tweet Alert

@ABdeVilliers17
All that’s important is that we should all focus on supporting the team at the World Cup. There is a long way to go and I believe the boys can still go all the way #ProteaFire
I am pretty sure he is not happy about the leak of this. Both for the team and for himself.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf, the team already would've known about it so it doesn't really affect them except perhaps make them a little annoyed than they already are.
Considering the pressure they are under, this type of scrutiny does not help, regardless of whether they knew or not.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I get the SA administration approach, but personally if AB offered me a comeback for the World Cup regardless of timing I'd not even hesitate before saying yes. He's simply that good.

Dendarii

International Debutant
https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/CricketWorldCup2019/csa-selection-chief-including-ab-in-cwc-squad-not-an-option-20190606

On Thursday, CSA convenor of selectors Linda Zondi released the following statement:

"I pleaded with AB de Villiers not to retire in 2018. Although there was a perception that he was picking and choosing when to play - which was not true - I did give him the option to plan and monitor his season to get him to the World Cup fresh and in a good space. We made it clear that he would have to play during the home tours against Sri Lanka and Pakistan to be considered for selection, instead he signed to play in the Pakistan and Bangladesh Premier Leagues respectively. He turned down the offer and said he was at peace with his decision to retire.

"For Faf du Plessis and Ottis Gibson to share AB's desire to be included in the squad on the day we announced our World Cup squad on April 18 was a shock to all of us. AB left a big vacuum when he retired, we had a year to find players at franchise level to fill the gap. We had players who put in the hard work, who put up their hands and deserved to be given the opportunity to go to the World Cup. The decision was based on principle; we had to be fair to the team, the selection panel, our franchise system and players.

"At no point in the year that he had retired did he make himself available for selection. It was no option when I received the news on the day of the squad announcement, our squad was finalised and confirmed. AB is undoubtedly one of the best players in the world, but above all else, we have to stay true to our morals and principles, there is no regret in the decision."

SeamUp

International Coach
Linda Zondi (chief selector) with a statement defending his decision. It is fair enough up to a point.

Saying Faf and Otis wanted him back in the press release. Awkward. Not on the same page probably says all you need to know about the relationship going into the WC between the 3.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Absolute top point of arrogance to attempt a comeback 24 hours before the team is announced. Management was right to stick to their principles. That again comes back to the picking and choosing when he wants to play...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I just realised it was day before the announcement, not even actual selection. But reading between the lines I think what you see is Faf and Otis clearly aware of the potential huge batting problems begging Zondi to Include ABdV. I do wonder if Otis and Faf may have gone to ABdV and asked him to consider it first? ABdV may have just said yes to late.

SeamUp

International Coach
I just realised it was day before the announcement, not even actual selection. But reading between the lines I think what you see is Faf and Otis clearly aware of the potential huge batting problems begging Zondi to Include ABdV. I do wonder if Otis and Faf may have gone to ABdV and asked him to consider it first? ABdV may have just said yes to late.
Possible. Would look a whole lot better on AB but Faf/Otis probably get the stick :laugh:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
I'm actually glad Zondi went and blew the lid on what happened. AB left CSA with no choice. He can pick and choose when he wants to play. I'm glad they rejected his advances.