• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah 24 hours is rough, but when it's de Villiers you should really at least have a discussion about it IMO.

According to people privy to the talks, de Villiers' request was "not even considered".
That's just needlessly arrogant and bureaucratic.

SeamUp

International Coach
South Africa team management rebuffed AB de Villiers' offer to play World Cup | ESPNcricinfo.com

Ok, But his behaviour on that was not good either. Can't expect a positive result going to everybody 24h before selection decision.
Yeah 24 hours is rough, but when it's de Villiers you should really at least have a discussion about it IMO.

That's just needlessly arrogant and bureaucratic.
AB isn't perfect here but I wouldn't even worry about hurting other players when you are not good enough.

You try and get your best players available even in these circumstances. An even that is once every 4 years.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it is ABdV, but it immediately means you not taking Markram or Rassie. They where unlikely to drop Miller or Duminy. And that is how you get kolpak problems. Would I love to see Miller or Duminy out for ABdV. But it would still have been harsh on those players regardless.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, it wasn't ideal, but their batting has been failing for a while, and perhaps it was that that ABdV was responding to rather than being arrogant. Could have kept him in the squad for Pretorius, if nothing else.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
And just saying **** the people that leaked this story. It really helps nobody right now, and just further hurts the SA camp.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And just saying **** the people that leaked this story. It really helps nobody right now, and just further hurts the SA camp.
Honestly, this should have been addressed by the SA selectors when they announced the squad. Something along the lines of "ABdV was kind enough to offer etc but we felt etc". It's really their own fault for not getting things like this can leak at the wrong time.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldntve considered it either

But I would have made an approach to AB in January

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly, this should have been addressed by the SA selectors when they announced the squad. Something along the lines of "ABdV was kind enough to offer etc but we felt etc". It's really their own fault for not getting things like this can leak at the wrong time.
Possibly....

But this whole thing is just a **** show from everybody, including ABdV.

Bahseph

State Captain
What the what :laugh:

Boobs, the lot of them.
AB included. It just underlines the fact that he hasn't given us the real reason he retired. If they put him in it would have caused a whole other range of issues imo. Interesting to see you guys thoughts.

Bahseph

State Captain
AB has never seemed arrogant to me, just like someone who acts impulsively. Him not being there severely dented our WC hopes. He had to have known that when he retired. It was so far along in the cycle that finding any replacement would have been incredibly tough. As I've said before, Rassie being consistent is something we lucked into. This is the worst week for SA cricket I've seen in a long time.

Dendarii

International Debutant
But I would have made an approach to AB in January
In ODIs in 2018 after his retirement South Africa won in Sri Lanka, whitewashed Zimbabwe at home, and won a series in Australia. So things were looking OK in January.

SeamUp

International Coach
AB has never seemed arrogant to me, just like someone who acts impulsively. Him not being there severely dented our WC hopes. He had to have known that when he retired. It was so far along in the cycle that finding any replacement would have been incredibly tough. As I've said before, Rassie being consistent is something we lucked into. This is the worst week for SA cricket I've seen in a long time.
We've also probably lost 2 of the better limited overs players peaking this generation for the world cup in Rilee Rossouw and Colin Ackermann. You could argue Colin Ingram may have got into this WC squad too if we had everyone competing in best v best in 50-over limited overs comp if there was a shoot-out for the WC.