• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

State Captain
Morris is erratic and Duminy has lost his mojo with the ball. Combine that with poor opening spells by Ngidi in both games and our strongest suit hasn't been a banker for us. Rabada/Tahir haven't been too bad, unlucky at times. Love how Lucky has come along. So canny.

Bahseph

State Captain
Don't want Markram to take focus away from his batting, but there is definitely potential there with the ball as a LO bowler who can run through 5/6 overs for not many.

Dendarii

International Debutant
What I don't get is that Ottis Gibson was England's bowling coach. That means he would have been familiar with English conditions and the type of bowlers and tactics needed to be successful. So how has South Africa got it so wrong with the bowling?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
No real surprises.Our bowling was required to try keep teams under 300 because our batting was not deep or good enough to chase 300+ scores. And that has proved true.

Our bowling has been atrocious and I think lots of that has to do with forgetting the basics, I don't know why we tried bouncing out Bangladesh today it obviously was not working and did not make sense with this pitch.

I don't know whats going on behind the scenes but it is not working obviously.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What I don't get is that Ottis Gibson was England's bowling coach. That means he would have been familiar with English conditions and the type of bowlers and tactics needed to be successful. So how has South Africa got it so wrong with the bowling?
Apparent attacking mindset? Intimidate the batsmen?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Wasn’t the consensus that they bowled well on Thursday?

Dendarii

International Debutant
Wasn’t the consensus that they bowled well on Thursday?
They did contain England, so "getting it wrong" is perhaps overstating things for that match. However, the focus on the bowling has been to be able to have an attack that picks up wickets, and they let England build too many partnerships.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
SA's bowling attack was probably a little overrated before the tournament. Rababa, Steyn, Ngidi is an excellent trio, but is it really better than say Boult, Henry and Ferguson?
It's potentially a gun attack, but not overwhelming better than majority at the WC. Time will tell in the tournament

Bahseph

State Captain
I don't think any of the SA fans on CW are really surprised are we? We needed a firing Ngidi, Rabada, Tahir and Steyn for us to have a chance.

I don't understand the tactics at all. After the first five overs the plans needed to change. And they didn't. Yet it was glaringly obvious that our best bowler was Lucky,who doesn't bowl the way the big quicks do.

Bahseph

State Captain
In terms of retirements, after this WC we definitely won't see Duminy and Tahir in SA ODI colours again. I'm going to add Amla to that. And I think Dale as well. Think Faf hangs around for a little while.

I hope we don't see Pretorious or Morris again. The think tank totally misjudged this. The Morris selection especially. Smith is particularly brutal towards him on commentary. Don't think he would have played under Biff.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA's bowling attack was probably a little overrated before the tournament. Rababa, Steyn, Ngidi is an excellent trio, but is it really better than say Boult, Henry and Ferguson?
It's potentially a gun attack, but not overwhelming better than majority at the WC. Time will tell in the tournament
Yes it is better. But they have not played together which is another issue. And Nortje injury, Morris was not a good replacement.

We meant to play 3 quality quicks, Tahir and Lucky. So far both games we had at least one passenger. And Ngidi not playing his natural game for whatever reason.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of retirements, after this WC we definitely won't see Duminy and Tahir in SA ODI colours again. I'm going to add Amla to that. And I think Dale as well. Think Faf hangs around for a little while.

I hope we don't see Pretorious or Morris again. The think tank totally misjudged this. The Morris selection especially. Smith is particularly brutal towards him on commentary. Don't think he would have played under Biff.
I don’t think Miller stays either.

SeamUp

International Coach
Basically looking to the future myself.

Prince, Boucher, McKenzie or Rob Walter as coach. Then we need to build a side and back young talent like Woolmer/Arthur did and we built well oiled machines over a long time. Makes the next coach appointment massive.

SeamUp

International Coach

QdK
Markram
Rassie
Andile
KG
Lungi

only ones to stay for me.