• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
I think there are two things which count against Muthusamy. One is that he's the same type of bowler as Maharaj, so they might prefer someone else to give some variety. The other is that his batting possibly isn't quite good enough for a top 7 position - he'd be great as an 8, but I'm not sure whether he should bat higher.
That as well. Even if he makes it as a front-line spinner he is the same type as Kesh. I also prefer Bjorn as a sla spinner to him.

He certainly isn't near making our top 7 as a batsan which I think will be his only way in.

SeamUp

International Coach
So Reeza & Hashim.

What to do ?

Leading MODC run-scorers.

1. Markram
2. Verreynne
3. Erwee
4. J.Malan
5. Van Jaarsveld
6. De Zorzi
7. De Bruyn
8. Smuts
9. Elgar
10. Breetzke

SeamUp

International Coach
My assessment of the situation. Be nice to take Amla for all that experience. But we sitting in a situation where Markram goes because of test form and domestic 50-over dominance that is well above average. Problem is can we afford to take 'passenger' when we very well may need to leave out a Markram/vs Dussen if they don't produce. Miller/Duminy have their own issues. We will need a form player even if a rookie to be there and ready.

It is age for Amla. Averages have plummeted in both Test and ODI cricket by 3-5 average which shows it isn't a form issue. It is just the reflexes aren't what they were. A Ricky Ponting-like end to a career.

Amla's last ODI series against the 4 favourites.

v IND 71 @ 25.67 @ 76.24
v ENG 152 @ 50.67 @ 95.60
v NZL 100 @ 20 @ 70.92
v AUS 74 @ 24.67 @ 123.33

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Kyle Verryne is certainly a decent shout, but south African selectors are very conservative and I can see Gibson punt for Amla.

SeamUp

International Coach
Dwaine Pretorius

2018/19

MSL
18 overs 6/145 24.16 @ 8.05
MODC
42 overs 4/249 62.25 @ 5.92
CSA T20 Challenge
5 overs 1/46 46.00 @ 9.20
Had another good day out yesterday ! Not !

Why is there no better option than him ? I would rather take Vern and he isn't a limited overs cricketer.

SeamUp

International Coach
Kyle Verryne is certainly a decent shout, but south African selectors are very conservative and I can see Gibson punt for Amla.
Can't remember us struggling to pick a world cup 15 because not all 15 are putting up their hand. More who was unlucky to miss out.

They gave guys like Klaasen & Reeza extended runs. Zondo/Jonker got a few games. How far did Behardien play in the cycle and then ditched ? It hasn't been easy to selectors tbf

MrPrez

International Debutant
Can't remember us struggling to pick a world cup 15 because not all 15 are putting up their hand. More who was unlucky to miss out.

They gave guys like Klaasen & Reeza extended runs. Zondo/Jonker got a few games. How far did Behardien play in the cycle and then ditched ? It hasn't been easy to selectors tbf
Absolutely; however, if Verreyne was in contention they would have at least given him a shout vs Sri Lanka. Honestly think we'd be more likely to pick Klaassen than Verreyne in the WC squad.

Considering what you said earlier about the number of "risky" batsmen we're already playing with, I'd be surprised if they pick an uncapped, unproven (internationally) batsman like Verreyne. Not that I'd be against it, mind.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Realistically it'll just be Amla since we're short of options and Amla is the "safest" pick - at least in terms of having a big reputation.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Sorry for post spam, but had one more thought - if we were to make a left-field pick (ie not Reeza, Amla, or Klaassen) I'd imagine it may end up being Dean Elgar. Mostly because he's got a strong international record, albeit at test level, and also because he's had a "good enough" season in the MODC. Certainly more "reliable" a pick in the eyes of the selectors than Verreyne (although I'd prefer the latter).

SeamUp

International Coach
Realistically it'll just be Amla since we're short of options and Amla is the "safest" pick - at least in terms of having a big reputation.
I think this is what they will do. He will get the benefit of the doubt rightly or wrongly.

It's been a weird 4-year cycle.

The Aus/NZL cycle we just seemed to lack a 5th bowling option who could bat top 7 & G.Kirsten walking away into the cycle.

The one before was weird to a point with Corrie van Zyl in charge and Morne van Wyk picked along with 3 spinners Botha, Robbie P, Tahir.