• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

State Captain
Would be Interesting to see him & Bavuma bat in a series with the rest of the next best batsman. Need to weigh up where a few batsmen who have scored domestic runs are. Some might have runs on the board but not good enough.

Ideally don't want to waste time.
Man Hashim is done and it's sad to see. I don't doubt that he can produce the odd good innings, but at the moment that's what we are getting from the other middle order options. We need a rock. Is it Hamza? We won't know unless they take a stand and put a plan in action. Just pick Mulder and decide who players between Ngidi, Philander and Olivier. Dale did take a little bit of tap but I thought he was the pick of the fast bowlers.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
We can speculate and comment all we want but we have one test match left before the WC and then everything may well change..... and we are heading to India were we need a totally different team composition. Interesting to see if Gibson is still coach.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn looked very good throughout the test I thought. Especially early today, was really accurate. QdK continued to get back into form too. Just a shame about Amla.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Just to put a bit of perspective on this; no batsmen in the top 7 has avg above 50 in SA since the beginning of 2018 except for de Villiers and now Perera. Kohli is the only other batsmen to avg 48. SA is tough as a batting gets even if it is your home country.
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

So we need to be careful when we look at averages, of course this in no ways means we have a great batting line-up or something does not need to be done.

Last edited:

Stefan9

International Debutant
Not expecting 50 but do believe the top batsmen should be averaging atleast 40. On that list only markram and bavuma gets a pass.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You cannot magic up batsmen like Kallis, Smith and De Villiers, absolute titans. And prime Amla. That was an amazing team from 2010-2015.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Not expecting 50 but do believe the top batsmen should be averaging atleast 40. On that list only markram and bavuma gets a pass.
The one that surprises me the most is Faf, he has got a couple of important tons and a few 50's but is averaging only 32 this last year. Bavuma has not got a ton but is avg 40+ with some good consistency..... Faf has probably won us a game or 2 but Bavuma has saved our bacon a few times? What is the better contribution?

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Amla should consider moving to 6 like Border etc. did if he wants to prolong his career in tests. Bavuma's career could blossom if he moves up the order (or wilt of course.)

Bolo

State Captain
Harmer is kolpack and out of the radar to my knowledge.

Does piedt seem to be improving or just in form? Wasn't great in national, has seldom seemed to tear up domestic and is one of the few who can't bat.

How about muthusamy? I vaguely like the idea of a bits and pieces spin AR on some pitches. Any hope on the sc?

Dendarii

International Debutant
If Muthusamy were something other than a left arm spinner then he would definitely be in the running. But being the same type as Maharaj might count against him and they could opt for someone like Piedt for the variety.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Harmer is kolpack and out of the radar to my knowledge.

Does piedt seem to be improving or just in form? Wasn't great in national, has seldom seemed to tear up domestic and is one of the few who can't bat.

How about muthusamy? I vaguely like the idea of a bits and pieces spin AR on some pitches. Any hope on the sc?
Difficult to know if he has improved when none of the games are broadcast.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Pick for India right now.

Elgar
Markram
Hamza
Bavuma
Faf
QDK
Mulder
Piedt
Maharaj
Steyn
Rabada

Shamsi/Muthumsamy, 2 of Philander/Ngidi/Olivier, de Bruyn( I would actually like to pick another bats but he is still current best alternate).

SeamUp

International Coach
Pick for India right now.

Elgar
Markram
Hamza
Bavuma
Faf
QDK
Mulder
Piedt
Maharaj
Steyn
Rabada

Shamsi/Muthumsamy, 2 of Philander/Ngidi/Olivier, de Bruyn( I would actually like to pick another bats but he is still current best alternate).
Was available for a large number of 4-day games for the Titans and wasn't chosen. Focusing on limited overs cricket I imagine. The idea of him in the test set-up is nice and has been nice for a while but I don't think results are a reality for him. He is still trying to crack 50-over cricket which he is better at.

So if we take a 3rd spinner. That is another thing.