• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Think my ideal would be:

De Kock
Amla

Du Plessis
Markram
Duminy
Miller
Klaasen

Pretorius
Mulder

Phehlukwayo
Rabada
Steyn
Ngidi (Morris if Ngidi not recovered)

Tahir
Shamsi

Marius

International Debutant
Think my ideal would be:

De Kock
Amla

Du Plessis
Markram
Duminy
Miller
Klaasen

Pretorius
Mulder

Phehlukwayo
Rabada
Steyn

Tahir
Shamsi
Can't fault it too much. Who would be your ideal playing XI?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Think my ideal would be:

De Kock
Amla

Du Plessis
Markram
Duminy
Miller
Klaasen

Pretorius
Mulder

Phehlukwayo
Rabada
Steyn

Tahir
Shamsi
That is pretty much spot on..... I think they will take Reeza and take one of Pretorius/Mulder/Morris.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
That is pretty much spot on..... I think they will take Reeza and take one of Pretorius/Mulder/Morris.
Reeza is probably my #16 as a back-up opener... Just feel like need to have both Pretorius and Mulder as I don't trust Phehlukwayo as a number 7 batsman. Can't fault the effectiveness of his bowling, even if it doesn't look the most threatening...

SeamUp

International Coach
Reeza is probably my #16 as a back-up opener... Just feel like need to have both Pretorius and Mulder as I don't trust Phehlukwayo as a number 7 batsman. Can't fault the effectiveness of his bowling, even if it doesn't look the most threatening...
A peak Markram gets in ahead of Reeza and Rassie. At the moment he is playing catch up which is the concern with not much time left.

SeamUp

International Coach
Reserve ODI keeper if not Klaasen ?

Cobras : Verreynne
Warriors : Qeshile
Dolphins : van Wyk/Vilas (would love him if not Kolpak)/Roelofsen
Knights : Second/Gous
Lions : Rickelton/vd Bergh/Mosehle
Titans : Klaasen/Moonsamy/Makwetu

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Mosehle is most likely if they go away from Klaasens. But it is going to be Klaasens... rest are either to young or more FC batting/wk. Outside van Wyk who is probably to old!

Dendarii

International Debutant
Mosehle is most likely if they go away from Klaasens. But it is going to be Klaasens... rest are either to young or more FC batting/wk. Outside van Wyk who is probably to old!
Second averages 43 in List A matches, although his strike rate is only 76. But I think it would have to be him if it's not Klaasen, especially since Second bats up the order in the shorter formats, so would perhaps be a more like-for-like replacement for De Kock.

SeamUp

International Coach
Second averages 43 in List A matches, although his strike rate is only 76. But I think it would have to be him if it's not Klaasen, especially since Second bats up the order in the shorter formats, so would perhaps be a more like-for-like replacement for De Kock.
That's the problem. Not really versatile. Would say Vilas and Klaasen are more versatile to cover top order and middle order. Wish we could pick Vilas.

Dendarii

International Debutant
That's the problem. Not really versatile. Would say Vilas and Klaasen are more versatile to cover top order and middle order. Wish we could pick Vilas.
You're right - I was forgetting that he needs to serve as a backup batsman as well. So no great options besides Klaasen.

SeamUp

International Coach
If we being honest. Only way Markram makes the squad is if :

1) They choose him over vd Dussen
2) They don't take a reserve keeper
3) Relies on 2 & Mulder goes as 2nd all-rounder to cover 5-7 in batting order.

Options 2 & 3 leave holes in squad ?

Dendarii

International Debutant
One other way might be that Pretorius covers both the allrounder and the seamer position, so there would potentially be a bowling line-up along the lines of the first ODI. But I don't see that happening.

So unless there's an injury (or Duminy doesn't recover - when's he due back?), Markram doesn't look like he's going to the World Cup.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Personally think that not taking Markram is foolish.... yes I`m picking on class and potential rather than performance, but I honestly think that is just about time. vd Dussen, Reeza, Klaasens are being picked on form which is great, but as can be seen from the inconsistency it does not last long at international cricket. I think Klaasens is going to go because of needing a backup wk and he is the obvious replacement for Miller at 6 if needed. Our real problem is the number 7 position. I would also like to see us play Tahir and Shamsi together a few times between now and the WC.

Marius

International Debutant
I see Rickelton didn't play in Gauteng's last game (which was in December).

Is he injured or just not getting picked?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Personally think that not taking Markram is foolish.... yes I`m picking on class and potential rather than performance, but I honestly think that is just about time. vd Dussen, Reeza, Klaasens are being picked on form which is great, but as can be seen from the inconsistency it does not last long at international cricket. I think Klaasens is going to go because of needing a backup wk and he is the obvious replacement for Miller at 6 if needed. Our real problem is the number 7 position. I would also like to see us play Tahir and Shamsi together a few times between now and the WC.
I think the error was in not giving Markram this series, really. Now that vd Dussen has played and done so well it'd make the whole exercise a farce if he were to be left out now.

More games between and then for that to change of course but as it stands I don't think Markram's selection in the squad can really be justified. Not giving him every opportunity to change that was a mistake IMO.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think the error was in not giving Markram this series, really. Now that vd Dussen has played and done so well it'd make the whole exercise a farce if he were to be left out now.

More games between and then for that to change of course but as it stands I don't think Markram's selection in the squad can really be justified. Not giving him every opportunity to change that was a mistake IMO.
Maybe rest Amla and play Markram QDK rest of series?

SeamUp

International Coach
One other way might be that Pretorius covers both the allrounder and the seamer position, so there would potentially be a bowling line-up along the lines of the first ODI. But I don't see that happening.

So unless there's an injury (or Duminy doesn't recover - when's he due back?), Markram doesn't look like he's going to the World Cup.
Assume Pakistan T20s or 50-over Momentum Cup for Cobras.

Was already netting with Cobras on 12 Jan even if by himself.