• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Players that must be marked as potential, but no performance: Both Bosch's (C has 2 wickets in 3 franchise 4-days averaging over 100; E 14 in 6), Dala (30 wickets in 22 matches, atrocious stats, but still in SA A side because I suppose bowling 150-ish at times counts for a lot), N Burger (2 in 2 matches, average over 100).

Dupavillon was close, but so many injuries makes it hard to assess where he is now.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I'd imagine the replacement seamer pecking order for tests, is more or less: Olivier then Morris, B Hendricks, Mulder, Nortje, then Bokako.
On bowling alone Mulder is probably down the list, but it could that he's being looked at as an allrounder who would bat at 7 and be part of a four man pace attack. And age might not be on Morris's side, so I think unless there are more injuries and/or retirements soon his chances of playing another test probably aren't that good.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah I think we starting to get to a stage where we have an attack behind our main 3 now and we know certain bowlers are on the limited overs T20 money train now and I think Morris is definitely there especially with his injury record. He is 31 I think. Not quite on his scale but for me Paterson, Dala, Magala , Siboto, Frylinck are all better limited overs bowlers.

Steyn , Philander, Rabada
Ngidi, Olivier, Nortje (B.Hendricks)

Next in line will be the academy seamers who they clearly see as potential future internationals.
[Sipamla, Burger], Bokako, E.Bosch

I agree with you GRAB - I think we need to see where Dupavillon is if and when he gets his next franchise opportunities and C.Bosch can kick on as a strike-bowler. These are the two unknowns as they have the tools but we need to see where they are currently and possibly 2nd half of 4-day series they can get some games.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I think we starting to get to a stage where we have an attack behind our main 3 now and we know certain bowlers are on the limited overs T20 money train now and I think Morris is definitely there especially with his injury record. He is 31 I think. Not quite on his scale but for me Paterson, Dala, Magala , Siboto, Frylinck are all better limited overs bowlers.

Steyn , Philander, Rabada
Ngidi, Olivier, Nortje (B.Hendricks)

Next in line will be the academy seamers who they clearly see as potential future internationals.
[Sipamla, Burger], Bokako, E.Bosch

I agree with you GRAB - I think we need to see where Dupavillon is if and when he gets his next franchise opportunities and C.Bosch can kick on as a strike-bowler. These are the two unknowns as they have the tools but we need to see where they are currently and possibly 2nd half of 4-day series they can get some games.
Bowling stocks look good... and that includes the spin options.

Now we need some of the younger batsmen to stand up and force their way into the Test team.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

SeamUp

International Coach
Become our best player.... and a great captain for some trying times. Hope he stays for a few years. Seems he is enjoying himself.

Been there done that.... not a bad option, but similar as all the other options. Biggest thing is his experience.
It almost feels like a Stephen Cook/Heino Kuhn situation.

If it is 70-80/30-20 batting then Albie fits the bill.

SeamUp

International Coach
I see Ottis has said everyone in the test squad needs to play the round of first class cricket.
Obviously not all the Titans boys can fit in. So wonder what will happen.

Hope guys who are performing don't have to miss out.

SeamUp

International Coach
How is Chris Morris doing these days?
Tough to sum him up.

The best so far is erratic but capable of match winning contributions with bat and ball.

Looking into it deeper I don't think we are willing to back him to be the #7 batsmen so he will be competing with Steyn, KG, Lungi for a bowling spot.

His batting has ability. I think he is more talented and watching him bat he is more of a natural than Pretorius and has a better defensive technique than Phehlukwayo but I don't think he knows when and what to chose to play balls and gives his wicket away far too often.

His bowling ? Better than Dala, Paterson so he probably goes as the reserve fast bowler.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I see that Duanne Olivier was the top wicket taker in the Mzansi Super League, which surprised me a little as I don't think he's ever seemed to be in the picture for selection in the shorter formats, just tests. So I'd assumed that he was really just a red ball bowled, but he's got better career List A figures that Paterson, Dala, or Morris. Obviously, that's not just his franchise record, and I don't know what his recent form has been like, but perhaps an oversight by the selectors not to have considered him?

GRAB

First Class Debutant
He's only played 10 List A franchise games, where he has taken wickets 17 @ 28,2, but been expensive (econ 5,9).
Phehlukwayo - 26,1; 5,2. 26,0; 6,0; Paterson an anomaly 36,9 ave but econ 5,2. (But 27 FC average would suggest he is still a wicket taker). Morris 27 & 4,9. Marchant (and Abbott of course) feel like the best l/o bowler we can't use due to not making himself eligible... Although his form in the Mzansi was atrocious...

Comparing averages and r/o in list a is particularly simplistic due to low numbers of overs and the impact of when you bowl (bowl in the middle, you get fewer wickets, but have better economy) for just two...

Dendarii

International Debutant
He's only played 10 List A franchise games, where he has taken wickets 17 @ 28,2, but been expensive (econ 5,9).
Thanks, I did wonder whether his stats might have been boosted by playing more at a lower level, and him having played so few franchise matches explains him not being on the radar.

Comparing averages and r/o in list a is particularly simplistic due to low numbers of overs and the impact of when you bowl (bowl in the middle, you get fewer wickets, but have better economy) for just two...
Although as armchair critics that's often all we have to go on. And it should start to even out a bit the more games someone plays.

SeamUp

International Coach
stuart hess
‏@shockerhess
13-man Titans squad to face Knights in Bloem: Faf, Elgar Markram, Morris, Dala all in. NO Theunis de Bruyn. Medics want him to be extra careful before 1st Test. He did have a net yesterday and felt alright