• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
I mentioned Behardien as a possibility a few pages back if Mulder could not play...... I also think he could fit in well with Duminy/Miller with quick singles/twos at back of an innings. Desperate times and all that.....

Any of the 6 choices -Andile, Morris, Behardien, Dwaine, Philander, Mulder- has an opportunity. How about somebody like Smuts.... no 7 is open to anybody that can turn their arm over and hit a long ball, just have to show some form.
Didn't know you were a Smuts fan :D Know what you mean though.

Think Smuts has shown from his few international outings that his major weakness of playing across the ball with that strong bottom hand has limited chance at international level when it is so inconsistent the level below. But his limited overs darts do probably make him the 4th best limited overs spinner in SA so who knows.

According to him at the start of the season he says he can contribute to winning a WC for SA so you got to admire the confidence if anything.

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
StephenZA makes a valid point about Smuts to be fair. I didn't think about it initially, but how much of a step down from Behardian would that be? Not much if you ask me. It would actually be an improvement with the ball. Just goes to show that if Muthusamy can improve his batting he would probably in contention for the ODI team.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Not such a big Smuts fan but he could potentially do the job. Muthusamy could be another good shout. Ultimately all we need is a capable big hitting batsmen who can get through 5+ overs without being smashed around the park, is that so much to ask for.

SeamUp

International Coach
It definitely isn't the worst shout. He is well capable of clearing the ropes and getting 1s in between. Just be nice for him to get a few away with the bat this season.

Plus slow left-arm to JPs right-arm off-spin depending on batsmen at the crease.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Smuts isn’t a better batsman than Morris, Mulder or Pretorius and bowling wise, he isn’t much better than JP or Markram. JP is probably the better bowler and can be good value at times internationally, particularly against lefties. Smuts hasn’t done anything when playing for the Proteas with bat or ball.

SeamUp

International Coach
So the fight for 4th seamer for Pakistan test series commences.

Anrich Nortje
Beuran Hendricks
Duanne Olivier

For ODIs it gives Phehlukwayo & Morris probably more game time.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Injured again whilst fielding – did that in the debut series against Sri Lanka. This didn’t look good on first viewing but he still came back and bowled which made me think it wasn’t so serious.

Dendarii

International Debutant
So the fight for 4th seamer for Pakistan test series commences.

Anrich Nortje
Beuran Hendricks
Duanne Olivier
I think Olivier is possibly still ahead of Nortje at this stage, but Nortje looks like he might be the better long term prospect, so it could go either way and maybe both of them will be added to the squad. Hendricks is probably behind those two.

For ODIs it gives Phehlukwayo & Morris probably more game time.
Sport24 is suggesting that Philander will play in the ODIs against Pakistan, which is something we haven't really considered as we've spoken about him as a candidate for the allrounder spot, but not as one of the three frontline quicks. He's certainly a better option there from a bowling perspective than Morris, and the tail obviously wouldn't be quite so long. So maybe there's an outside chance that he goes to the World Cup more as the backup bowler than an allrounder - perhaps even as a first choice if Ngidi doesn't recover in time or one of the others gets injured.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Injured again whilst fielding – did that in the debut series against Sri Lanka. This didn’t look good on first viewing but he still came back and bowled which made me think it wasn’t so serious.
I think that was the general consent... then obviously it seems it got worse, or misdiagnosed until later. As SeamUp says 12 weeks is a long time.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
LO's it will definitely give Phehlukwayo & Morris opportunity to get that 7 berth a shot.

I am not sure about the Tests, may go back to the extra batsmen? Olivier was a little unimpressive overall at international level. Maybe Morris. Ultimately, Philander, Steyn, Rabada and Maharaj is the primary 4 bowler attack. And we playing in SA, so I can see Morris in the squad. This would have been a perfect time to blood Mulder if he has recovered. The rest of the potential bowlers need the rest of the season I think.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I am not sure about the Tests, may go back to the extra batsmen? Olivier was a little unimpressive overall at international level. Maybe Morris. Ultimately, Philander, Steyn, Rabada and Maharaj is the primary 4 bowler attack.
We'll probably stick with the four bowler/seven batsmen split, but there still needs to be a backup fast bowler in the squad, and of course it's very likely that we'll play four quicks in Joburg. Olivier may not have been that impressive in the tests he played, but he's put in some good performances for South Africa A, which is why I think he might be the preferred option right now. But I do have my doubts as to whether he'll be a long term prospect, and it may be that the A team realistically is the highest level for him.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think Olivier is possibly still ahead of Nortje at this stage, but Nortje looks like he might be the better long term prospect, so it could go either way and maybe both of them will be added to the squad. Hendricks is probably behind those two.

Sport24 is suggesting that Philander will play in the ODIs against Pakistan, which is something we haven't really considered as we've spoken about him as a candidate for the allrounder spot, but not as one of the three frontline quicks. He's certainly a better option there from a bowling perspective than Morris, and the tail obviously wouldn't be quite so long. So maybe there's an outside chance that he goes to the World Cup more as the backup bowler than an allrounder - perhaps even as a first choice if Ngidi doesn't recover in time or one of the others gets injured.
We'll probably stick with the four bowler/seven batsmen split, but there still needs to be a backup fast bowler in the squad, and of course it's very likely that we'll play four quicks in Joburg. Olivier may not have been that impressive in the tests he played, but he's put in some good performances for South Africa A, which is why I think he might be the preferred option right now. But I do have my doubts as to whether he'll be a long term prospect, and it may be that the A team realistically is the highest level for him.
I think we've all agreed on the Olivier situation. Is there a possibility he has improved his consistency to push his game to the next level (which sounds harsh because he has done ok) ? Possibly. It may come down to a decision on gut feel or reward for results. I think Olivier has proven to be the best A bowler for a while but so has many not able to step up like Dendarii says. He has seen off challenges of de Lange/Viljoen/Hendericks etc But that x-factor you need could sway Nortje's way so they can get him around the group. You only play so many test matches so they may say better now for the long run.

On the Philander thing. I am just not a believer he is a white ball cricketer. His batting and bowling is more suited to the longer version. But they have given everybody a try. There has to come a moment for Phehlukwayo, Morris, Pretorius to either step-up and be the match-winners we require or they could just be the average with the odd spark much like Albie Morkel was for a while. They were ruthless with McLaren. Think we need to know where those 3 stand now. It is about time.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Philander consistency is what makes him great in Tests.... it is also what makes him so very hittable in LO's cricket. And he does not actually help our no 7 position who needs to be able to clear the ropes.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Philander consistency is what makes him great in Tests.... it is also what makes him so very hittable in LO's cricket. And he does not actually help our no 7 position who needs to be able to clear the ropes.
I agree that he's not best option for a number 7, but he'd better at number 8 than Steyn or Rabada, which is where he'd be batting if he comes in for Ngidi. And in terms of his bowling, he averages 24.04 in ODIs, with an economy of 4.62 and a strike rate of 31.1. Those stats are better than those of our other frontline bowlers, apart from Ngidi who has a better average and strike rate and Tahir who has the same strike rate. Granted, I don't know how much they're worth given that he's only played 30 matches and the last one was three years ago, but they suggest that he might not be as hittable as might be feared.

SeamUp

International Coach
How is Dupavillon going?
Slowly but surely it seems. He has got a 5-for and a 4-for for KZN. Think it is all about getting overs in that body again and reminding himself mentally of the challenge against batsmen. One of the most impressive things about his success so early for Dolphins was the flat wickets at Durban/PMB that he did well on. With Frylinck away for BPL I am hoping he comes into contention for the 4-day stuff for Dolphins to kick him on to the next level in his return.

The great thing for me outside Nortje is seeing the positive signs in Sipamla, Bosch & Bokako in these MSL games. Along with Burger that is the academy in-take seamers.

Mulder & Bosch could be the two we've been waiting for , for quite some time too. All-rounder to bat top 6 like Mulder and one to bat 7,8,9 like Bosch. That 98s generation (Breetzke, van Tonder, Mulder, Bosch, Sipamla) might quite something to look back on in a few years.

SeamUp

International Coach
I agree that he's not best option for a number 7, but he'd better at number 8 than Steyn or Rabada, which is where he'd be batting if he comes in for Ngidi. And in terms of his bowling, he averages 24.04 in ODIs, with an economy of 4.62 and a strike rate of 31.1. Those stats are better than those of our other frontline bowlers, apart from Ngidi who has a better average and strike rate and Tahir who has the same strike rate. Granted, I don't know how much they're worth given that he's only played 30 matches and the last one was three years ago, but they suggest that he might not be as hittable as might be feared.
Then he would have to be a banker for 10 overs and to me I don't think he is. Up front (maybe but they will still target him), middle overs (I still think they will target him) & we know death isn't a strength. I don't think he is even bowling full quota of 4 in MSL

50 overs cricket gone up a notch in targeting straight up wicket-to-wicket types who lack bounce.