• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reon King

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reon King

badgerhair said:
Well, we'll get the chance to see how much better or worse he is in England this summer: Durham announced today that they've signed him

Cheers,

Mike
An odd coincidence indeed...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Collymore is way better than Sanford and Drakes IMO. He's like Hoggard IMO. Accurate and a handful in swinging conditions.

With Best and Edwards in the team, he may be the perfect glue as a solid seamer who can swing the ball.
Collymore wasn't that accurate in South Africa (albeit he was injured in one of the two games). And Hoggard most certainly hasn't proved to be a model of accuracy in his Test career so far - no doubt, though, in my mind that he can do better than he has mostly shown so far.
He also demonstrated in the recent game a Caddick-like tendency to waste extreme accuracy with far, far too many no-balls. You'll give away so many runs with them it's untrue, and it makes accuracy less valuable.
Collymore also doesn't seem much of a bowler in the conditions typical to West Indies (though without doubt he bowled a superb spell without luck in South Africa in The Fourth Test - not that I was complaining).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!

badgerhair said:
Well, we'll get the chance to see how much better or worse he is in England this summer: Durham announced today that they've signed him

Cheers,

Mike
Haven't they also signed Gareth Breese? Very interesting...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reon King

Richard said:
Collymore wasn't that accurate in South Africa (albeit he was injured in one of the two games).

<BLAH BLAH>

Collymore also doesn't seem much of a bowler in the conditions typical to West Indies (though without doubt he bowled a superb spell without luck in South Africa in The Fourth Test - not that I was complaining).
No coincidence that Collymore was unfit throughout the South African tour and even through part of the Zimbabwe tour. He was carrying an injury all the while. Even in the first Test he was reported to be carrying an injury - this before the match began.

Collymore has not been fit for a lot of his career, but when he has been, he's been very good.

Craig

World Traveller
I like the EU Passport rule.

Go to England, ask some girl out who is English, marry her, move to another country, then one of your offspring who is a FC cricketer, then goes and gets a EU Passport and plays County Cricket and not be counted as an overseas player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No coincidence that Collymore was unfit throughout the South African tour and even through part of the Zimbabwe tour. He was carrying an injury all the while. Even in the first Test he was reported to be carrying an injury - this before the match began.

Collymore has not been fit for a lot of his career, but when he has been, he's been very good.
D'you reckon he's fit now?
It's very poor selection if they know how good he is when he's fit - but don't let him get fit, and instead play him when not fit when it's clear how bad he is then.
Some selectors sure are bizarre-minded people.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
I like the EU Passport rule.

Go to England, ask some girl out who is English, marry her, move to another country, then one of your offspring who is a FC cricketer, then goes and gets a EU Passport and plays County Cricket and not be counted as an overseas player.
So do loads of mediocre foreign players who have given up on playing for their own nations in order to choke the english game of new talent...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
So do loads of mediocre foreign players who have given up on playing for their own nations in order to choke the english game of new talent...
Yes, choke it of new talent.

If they're any good, displacing James "duck" Bryant won't be that hard...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bryant, Carter, Harrity, there are many EU-passport players who are no use to anyone and any player destined for the England side will displace easily.
How much are they being paid in relation to an England-qualified player of equal quality.
I've no objection to the Spearmans, the Jacqueses, the Pothases, sure there are a couple more, as these are good players who raise the standard. And they deserve a decent salary.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
How much are they being paid in relation to an England-qualified player of equal quality.
Probably not as much as you'd think...

If they're not of the same standard and not using an overseas spot, I wouldn't be so sure that they're coining it in (since it makes no sense to sign them.

What you have to remember is that these players are in the main coming from an area where the average wage is a fair bit lower...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
D'you reckon he's fit now?
It's very poor selection if they know how good he is when he's fit - but don't let him get fit, and instead play him when not fit when it's clear how bad he is then.
Some selectors sure are bizarre-minded people.
I'd think he's 80-85% currently, which isn't good enough for a seam bowler. The West Indies are picking him because there's really no one else to pick. They need experience and he's the experienced head in the team currently. There's an argument for Collins in that regard though...

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
Bryant, Carter, Harrity, there are many EU-passport players who are no use to anyone and any player destined for the England side will displace easily.
I've no objection to the Spearmans, the Jacqueses, the Pothases, sure there are a couple more, as these are good players who raise the standard. And they deserve a decent salary.
Kevin Petersen as well.

I would prefer if all players on an EU had the intention on playing for England. Whether they do or not is up to the England selectors.

But it will never happen thank you EU Restraint of Trade :!(