• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official: Countdown to the 2017-2018 Ashes***

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think it should be a good series. It's hard to see any eventual outcome other than an Australia win though.

Cook
Hameed
Jennings
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Moeen
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

Who do England pick as the 'extra' player that Bairstow batting at 5 lets them pick? The batting is already pretty deep and they already have five bowlers.

You'd think it'll be a batsman. They already have four seamers and they're not gonna play two spinners in Australia.
Clarke and not of the Rikki variety.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My side

Cook
Jennings
Borthwick/Hameed
Root
Moeen
Bairstow
Stokes
Woakes
Crane/Rayner
Broad
Anderson

The two doubts are purely based on how the 4 do this season, Crane and Hameed are both still learning and Borthwick has to learn how to live with electricity and cutlery in London.

Moeen really there to play almost purely as a bat, Oz pitches should suit his batting style, IMHO.

fredfertang

My side

Cook
Jennings
Borthwick/Hameed
Root
Moeen
Bairstow
Stokes
Woakes
Crane/Rayner
Broad
Anderson

The two doubts are purely based on how the 4 do this season, Crane and Hameed are both still learning and Borthwick has to learn how to live with electricity and cutlery in London.

Moeen really there to play almost purely as a bat, Oz pitches should suit his batting style, IMHO.
Hameed rather than Borthwick for me, which will no doubt surprise no one, but that apart I'd agree subject to one caveat - just seen that Lanky appear to be starting two games this week with Parry in the firsts and Kerrigan in the seconds - if Parry gets a decent run in the red ball game he'll be in the mix for the spinner's spot - the bloke's quality

Main hope is that the selectors kept half an eye on what went on in India after we left and do now accept we need a proper spinner

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Is this how bored we are without any decent test cricket for awhile that we have to drag up this silly thread..... :p

flibbertyjibber

Is this how bored we are without any decent test cricket for awhile that we have to drag up this silly thread..... :p
Nothing silly about an ashes series. Unless you lose 5-0 and then it never actually happened.

Being serious though there is no decent cricket now till July, a long wait.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Hameed rather than Borthwick for me, which will no doubt surprise no one, but that apart I'd agree subject to one caveat - just seen that Lanky appear to be starting two games this week with Parry in the firsts and Kerrigan in the seconds - if Parry gets a decent run in the red ball game he'll be in the mix for the spinner's spot - the bloke's quality

Main hope is that the selectors kept half an eye on what went on in India after we left and do now accept we need a proper spinner
You never know if Parry takes a load of wickets, but just the fact that Parry has stayed at Lancashire to basically be a white ball cricketer just shows a complete lack of ambition and drive. If he really wanted to play test cricket he would have left Lancs years ago in the pursuit of first class cricket. He wouldn't have been short of suitors imo.

vogue

Well someone's started a surf thread in the general sports bit...should be ok with that... ^ StephenZA

Last edited:

fredfertang

You never know if Parry takes a load of wickets, but just the fact that Parry has stayed at Lancashire to basically be a white ball cricketer just shows a complete lack of ambition and drive. If he really wanted to play test cricket he would have left Lancs years ago in the pursuit of first class cricket. He wouldn't have been short of suitors imo.
Perhaps you have heard him interviewed or seen some primary source that I haven't, but to come that conclusion on such flimsy circumstantial evidence is a very big leap

grecian

That all very well, if you have a "proper" spinner, I'm not convinced that any of the names, I and you, have mentioned are. Yet we'll see.

fredfertang

That all very well, if you have a "proper" spinner, I'm not convinced that any of the names, I and you, have mentioned are. Yet we'll see.
Indeed, and neither am I, but I am convinced that none of those we had in India were

theegyptian

Perhaps you have heard him interviewed or seen some primary source that I haven't, but to come that conclusion on such flimsy circumstantial evidence is a very big leap
The guy is 31 and last played a fc game (before today) in 2014. He's played 9 fc games in 10 years of first class cricket. Doesn't strike me as someone who is desperate to play for England. England want tough, highly driven cricketers. Not guys who are content sitting on the bench for years in a pretty weak competition.

Unless there is some pressing matter keeping him in Lancashire (e.g caring for a dying relative) he really should have moved years ago if he wanted to be anything other than a white ball cricketer.

Keedy was telling him he should move back in 2015. Stephen Parry may have to leave Lancashire says Gary Keedy - Manchester Evening News

fredfertang

The guy is 31 and last played a fc game (before today) in 2014. He's played 9 fc games in 10 years of first class cricket. Doesn't strike me as someone who is desperate to play for England. England want tough, highly driven cricketers. Not guys who are content sitting on the bench for years in a pretty weak competition.

Unless there is some pressing matter keeping him in Lancashire (e.g caring for a dying relative) he really should have moved years ago if he wanted to be anything other than a white ball cricketer.

Keedy was telling him he should move back in 2015. Stephen Parry may have to leave Lancashire says Gary Keedy - Manchester Evening News
Interesting that if you click on the link in that article that Ostick doesn't even ask the question, or more likely did but didn't get an interesting answer - I think Parry simply takes the view that he's a better bowler than Kegga and will get his chance, and it seems that Chappy might agree with him

Burgey

The Ashes is the one series where no one who's made less than 500 posts should be allowed in the thread. It should also be limited to only England and Australia supporters, except Jono.

This won't keep ***** out, because he'll simply say he supports one of the teams for the duration of the series.

fredfertang

The Ashes is the one series where no one who's made less than 500 posts should be allowed in the thread. It should also be limited to only England and Australia supporters, except Jono.

This won't keep ***** out, because he'll simply say he supports one of the teams for the duration of the series.
Come on then ***** - declare your allegiance

cnerd123

likes this
I do hope England win tho. We already know Bangladesh > England, and so if they win it will be plain to see that Bangladesh > Australia.
This still stands until and unless Australia play BD and get whipped, in which case who cares they both suck