• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should runs scored/wickets taken against Bangladesh now finally mean something

cnerd123

likes this
They have been a force in ODIs since 2014, and now have finally proven to be a Test-quality side.

I'd put my money on them being stiffer opponents away from home than the West Indies too; possibly even Sri Lanka.

From this day forward, do we now fully accept runs and wickets against BD as being as good as runs and wickets against anyone else?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Tbh runs/wickets taken against any opposition should be considered unless you are bowling to Kim Jong Un who has a record of 403* unbeaten in one innings and that too in one session. WAFG

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No. because whilst one swallow makes for a good end to a night out, it doesn't make a summer.

Burgey

Having said that, they're definitely on the improve and this result should mean they get more tours against everyone home and away.

They're probably better than WI right now, so if we kind of qualify performances against the Bangers we should definitely do so against the Windies (and against Australia away fwiw).

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
1) Australia was on the brink of losing when chasing 307 in fatullah after the middle order collapse and punter played an incredible knock to bail them out.

2) Pakistan surely lost in Multan credit to a heroic innings from Inzamam.

I am not bothered to search or bring out numerous brilliant performances over the years against weaker oppositions. Its easy to generalize and isolate performances against weaker oppositions but it does not fit right to me. Black_Warrior mentioned in another post that how Younus' knock was crucial against Zimbabwe for Pakistan iirc. There are many instances and so many factors play in a test match, it feels wrong to diminish anyone or a team if they perform against weaker oppositions.

TheJediBrah

They have been a force in ODIs since 2014, and now have finally proven to be a Test-quality side.

I'd put my money on them being stiffer opponents away from home than the West Indies too; possibly even Sri Lanka.

From this day forward, do we now fully accept runs and wickets against BD as being as good as runs and wickets against anyone else?
so now when we try to disregard a player we don't like's stats by blaming Bangladesh we have to go back and make sure they played them before 2016

fml

vcs

There was also Sachin's ton in early 2010 when he dragged India past 200. It was mentioned on here at the time "5 years down the line, these will probably be treated as typical minnow-bashing runs".

Zinzan

They have always meant something, it's just relatively speaking. So nothing will change in that respect.

Just like getting test wickets in Australia for touring sides has always been considered more valuable than test wickets in NZ, they're harder to come by.

Furthermore, England runs in this Bangers series should be considered more valuable than Indian runs were against NZ at home, even though the context might be forgotten in years to come.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I really hope this is the start of Bangladesh being part of the main group. Sri Lanka went from being piss to not bad quite quickly. All it took was a fat bugger to give them some fighting spirit to believe they weren't a joke. I can see Bangladesh being a difficult tour for non sub continental teams if they can start to be more consistent. I hope this win against England makes them realise they have now hit puberty and can soon be men if they continue to grow.

To the Bangladesh fans.....No offense was meant with my quip on the other thread. The offence was aimed at the Indian Fans :)

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
imo we should only judge players by bad performances against minnows. e.g Sehwag, Hayden and Root are complete trash because they couldn't score against Bangladesh.

Victor Ian

International Coach
imo we should only judge players by bad performances against minnows. e.g Sehwag, Hayden and Root are complete trash because they couldn't score against Bangladesh.
Do you bowl bouncers at your 4 year old son? If you do, you are a wanker. (I might add this as a new qualification to my wankers thesis - those who bring their A game against C graders)

TheJediBrah

If anything I would say the complete opposite of this is the truth

flibbertyjibber

Well seeing as Rashid is rated as one of the worst spinners ever on here and he picked up 4 wickets in an innings it clearly doesn't count.

TheJediBrah

If Rashid was Australian I would be delighted to have him ahead of Nathan Lyon

not sure where this hate for him comes from

edit: Test average of 51 though . . . I may be overrating him based on seeing him bowl well in T20s