• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gary Kirsten Retires

Langeveldt

Soutie
Veteran South African opener Gary Kirsten has announced his retirement at the end of the NZ series....

In my eyes he was the utmost professional throughout his long career.. A really hard worker who never made a song and dance about anything, but got on with scoring runs for South Africa with great reliability... He always gave 110% at the crease... In a game full of dashing batsmen it was refreshing to see someone as gritty as Gazza... Someone in the Atherton mould who would make bowlers earn his wicket....

His finest moment IMO, was that double century at Old Trafford in 1998.. Although he later admitted that it was probably the ugliest 200 ever :)

Anyway best of luck Gazza, and happy retirement! :)

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
gritty as Gazza...
Given the footballing links, didn't think I'd ever see those words in a sentence together. ;)

Well, I was there for the 1st day of the 200 you speak of, and it was one of the more dour innings I've seen but you cannot IMO argue with the results.

Gary Kirsten (so far)

Tests - 99
Runs - 7210
High Score - 275
Average - 45.92
100s - 21
50s - 33

Plus.....:saint:
Wickets - 2
Average - 71
BB - 1/0

Langeveldt

Soutie
Re: Re: Gary Kirsten Retires

PY said:

Gary Kirsten (so far)

Tests - 99
Runs - 7210
High Score - 275
Average - 45.92
100s - 21
50s - 33

Plus.....:saint:
Wickets - 2
Average - 71
BB - 1/0

Thats more impressive than i thought, especially from someone right at the top of the order...

nibbs

International Captain
wow.

Gary Kirsten must one of the few players still playing cricket since I first tuned into the great game around the age 6 during the 1992 world cup. He was batting alongside half brother Peter. All the best Gary.

With him retiring their wont be many players left who have always been there. Cairns, Harris, perhaps there are a few more.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Marc, they allways say it's better to go out when on top! And he certainly is! He'll probably carry on playing domestic cricket for a while so we haven't see the last of him :)

A gritty but very talented player and I'm sorry to see him go. I'm glad I got to see his last series in England, even if he wasn't pretty to watch!

Craig

World Traveller
Off all players to play in County Cricket in the last ten years, I'm most surprised Kirsten didnt go and give it a crack. Surely he would of had some offers to go.

Sad to see him go :(

I guess Martin van Jaarsveld will get his spot?

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Congrats to Gary Kirsten on a great career.......still scoring test centuries, going out while still at the top of his game.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Veteran South African opener Gary Kirsten has announced his retirement at the end of the NZ series....

In my eyes he was the utmost professional throughout his long career.. A really hard worker who never made a song and dance about anything, but got on with scoring runs for South Africa with great reliability... He always gave 110% at the crease... In a game full of dashing batsmen it was refreshing to see someone as gritty as Gazza... Someone in the Atherton mould who would make bowlers earn his wicket....

His finest moment IMO, was that double century at Old Trafford in 1998.. Although he later admitted that it was probably the ugliest 200 ever :)
It was also one of the silliest 200s ever, although that was Cronje's fault, not his. England only saved the game because Cronje had batted on into the third morning. Well, maybe it was partly his fault because he didn't push the score along at all and Cronje felt he needed more of a cushion.

I thought his finest hour was the other 270-odd after South Africa had followed on in the Third Test of 99-00.

And I had the misfortune to watch the most anonymous dull hundred I've ever hardly noticed at Lord's last year, as well as his other finest hour against us at Headingley a few weeks later when he rescued South Africa from a really dire situation. He didn't do it to us as often as Steve Waugh, but he did it often enough to be a serious pest.

Still, at least he wasn't as dull as Tim Curtis, the man who makes Trevor Gripper look like Viv Richards.

Great respect to you, Mr Kirsten. I saw far, far too much of you for my liking, and I'm glad to see a nice little hole opening up in South Africa's middle order in time for our visit there this winter. Enjoy a well-deserved retirement.

Cheers,

Mike

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Well Marc, they allways say it's better to go out when on top!
He's certainly doing that!

For the last year or more he's been comfortably one of the top batsmen in the World - definitely one of the most under-rated players of recent times.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I cant give him a better compliment than say that god he's retired and england wont have to face him next winter! :saint:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gary Kirsten has one of the best techniques in world cricket IMO. The sound of the ball off his bat is pretty impressive and he was one of the hardest batsmen to dismiss in the last few years.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
Off all players to play in County Cricket in the last ten years, I'm most surprised Kirsten didnt go and give it a crack. Surely he would of had some offers to go.

Sad to see him go :(

I guess Martin van Jaarsveld will get his spot?

Yeh its a shame Gary didnt play county cricket....

Van Jaarsveld is the obvious choice, and this may also open up more permanent positions to Boeta Dippenaar or Neil McKenzie....

Also stand by for a surprise name, maybe Enoch Nkwe from the Highveld Strikers, and Andrew Puttick has been scoring loads of runs for WP.... he is a left handed 23 year old.... Sven Koenig has a chance but may be a bit old....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Martin van Jaarsveld is a very talented batsman who can count himself very unlucky if he continues to miss out even after Kirsten goes.

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
Yeh its a shame Gary didnt play county cricket....

Van Jaarsveld is the obvious choice, and this may also open up more permanent positions to Boeta Dippenaar or Neil McKenzie....

Also stand by for a surprise name, maybe Enoch Nkwe from the Highveld Strikers, and Andrew Puttick has been scoring loads of runs for WP.... he is a left handed 23 year old.... Sven Koenig has a chance but may be a bit old....
Dippenaar had his chances and never really cememnted himslef in the team :( :(

I just wish the SA top 4 would fail and McKenzie gets a 150.