Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gary Kirsten Retires

Pinball Champion!

Gary Kirsten Retires

Veteran South African opener Gary Kirsten has announced his retirement at the end of the NZ series....

In my eyes he was the utmost professional throughout his long career.. A really hard worker who never made a song and dance about anything, but got on with scoring runs for South Africa with great reliability... He always gave 110% at the crease... In a game full of dashing batsmen it was refreshing to see someone as gritty as Gazza... Someone in the Atherton mould who would make bowlers earn his wicket....

His finest moment IMO, was that double century at Old Trafford in 1998.. Although he later admitted that it was probably the ugliest 200 ever

Anyway best of luck Gazza, and happy retirement!

Last edited by Langeveldt; 15-03-2004 at 02:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

ur hotttt langevelt!!

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by ReallyCrazy
    ur hotttt langevelt!!

**blushes**

Thanks

PY

Re: Gary Kirsten Retires

Originally posted by Langeveldt
    gritty as Gazza...
    Given the footballing links, didn't think I'd ever see those words in a sentence together.

Well, I was there for the 1st day of the 200 you speak of, and it was one of the more dour innings I've seen but you cannot IMO argue with the results.

Gary Kirsten (so far)

Tests - 99
    Runs - 7210
    High Score - 275
    Average - 45.92
    100s - 21
    50s - 33

Plus.....:saint:
    Wickets - 2
    Average - 71
    BB - 1/0
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Pinball Champion!

Re: Re: Gary Kirsten Retires

Originally posted by PY

Gary Kirsten (so far)

Tests - 99
    Runs - 7210
    High Score - 275
    Average - 45.92
    100s - 21
    50s - 33

Plus.....:saint:
    Wickets - 2
    Average - 71
    BB - 1/0

Thats more impressive than i thought, especially from someone right at the top of the order...

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    wow.

Gary Kirsten must one of the few players still playing cricket since I first tuned into the great game around the age 6 during the 1992 world cup. He was batting alongside half brother Peter. All the best Gary.

With him retiring their wont be many players left who have always been there. Cairns, Harris, perhaps there are a few more.
    "Matt Damon"

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    The funny thing is he's going out when he's playing as well as he ever has done!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Rik
    Well Marc, they allways say it's better to go out when on top! And he certainly is! He'll probably carry on playing domestic cricket for a while so we haven't see the last of him

A gritty but very talented player and I'm sorry to see him go. I'm glad I got to see his last series in England, even if he wasn't pretty to watch!
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Off all players to play in County Cricket in the last ten years, I'm most surprised Kirsten didnt go and give it a crack. Surely he would of had some offers to go.

Sad to see him go

I guess Martin van Jaarsveld will get his spot?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

U19 Debutant
    Congrats to Gary Kirsten on a great career.......still scoring test centuries, going out while still at the top of his game.

U19 Vice-Captain

Re: Gary Kirsten Retires

Originally posted by Langeveldt
    Veteran South African opener Gary Kirsten has announced his retirement at the end of the NZ series....

In my eyes he was the utmost professional throughout his long career.. A really hard worker who never made a song and dance about anything, but got on with scoring runs for South Africa with great reliability... He always gave 110% at the crease... In a game full of dashing batsmen it was refreshing to see someone as gritty as Gazza... Someone in the Atherton mould who would make bowlers earn his wicket....

His finest moment IMO, was that double century at Old Trafford in 1998.. Although he later admitted that it was probably the ugliest 200 ever
    It was also one of the silliest 200s ever, although that was Cronje's fault, not his. England only saved the game because Cronje had batted on into the third morning. Well, maybe it was partly his fault because he didn't push the score along at all and Cronje felt he needed more of a cushion.

I thought his finest hour was the other 270-odd after South Africa had followed on in the Third Test of 99-00.

And I had the misfortune to watch the most anonymous dull hundred I've ever hardly noticed at Lord's last year, as well as his other finest hour against us at Headingley a few weeks later when he rescued South Africa from a really dire situation. He didn't do it to us as often as Steve Waugh, but he did it often enough to be a serious pest.

Still, at least he wasn't as dull as Tim Curtis, the man who makes Trevor Gripper look like Viv Richards.

Great respect to you, Mr Kirsten. I saw far, far too much of you for my liking, and I'm glad to see a nice little hole opening up in South Africa's middle order in time for our visit there this winter. Enjoy a well-deserved retirement.

Cheers,

Mike

Gary Kirsten has had a wonderful career.

Good luck in retirement
    My 2003 Australian Cricketers Rankings No.1's

Test Batting: Mathew Hayden
    Test Bowling: Stuart MacGill
    ODI Batting: Ricky Ponting
    ODI Bowling: Brett Lee

Ford Rules!

Well Done to Gary Kirsten for a wonderful career.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Rik
    Well Marc, they allways say it's better to go out when on top!
    He's certainly doing that!

For the last year or more he's been comfortably one of the top batsmen in the World - definitely one of the most under-rated players of recent times.

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    I cant give him a better compliment than say that god he's retired and england wont have to face him next winter! :saint:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information