• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McCullum's book 'Declared'

jcas0167

International Debutant
Man these guys have no chill. Every **** who retires these days comes up with their own **** flinging book just a year later.

Easy money I suppose.
I was actually thinking in New Zealand there had been a lack of autobiographies in recent times and wondered if that was partly due to players not having the same financial incentive they did in the 80's & 90's. NZ Players I thought might have written autobiographies, on the basis of their time in the national side, but didn't:

Scott Styris
Jacob Oram
Chris Martin
Kyle Mills
(Mathew Sinclair indicated a few years ago he was writing one, but that never eventuated).

The last batch off the top of my head were Vettori & Shane Bond's books which came out in 2008/2009. So it's good to have an account covering the Andy Moles, John Wright, Hesson eras. I'll look forward to picking up a copy later this week.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I was actually thinking in New Zealand there had been a lack of autobiographies in recent times and wondered if that was partly due to players not having the same financial incentive they did in the 80's & 90's. NZ Players I thought might have written autobiographies, on the basis of their time in the national side, but didn't:

Scott Styris
Jacob Oram
Chris Martin
Kyle Mills
(Mathew Sinclair indicated a few years ago he was writing one, but that never eventuated).

The last batch off the top of my head were Vettori & Shane Bond's books which came out in 2008/2009. So it's good to have an account covering the Andy Moles, John Wright, Hesson eras. I'll look forward to picking up a copy later this week.
TBF I'm not sure Kyle Mills can read.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain

Scott Styris
Jacob Oram
Chris Martin
Kyle Mills

This is McCullum's second one, although the first one did cover how to play 20-20, it did also cover the Andy Moles mutiny.

Overall though, a far cry from the glory days of the 90s, where every NZ player/coach/umpire (Steve Dunne, anyone?) and his dog was writing a tell-all memoir pretty much slagging off everyone else involved in the side.

Good to see McCullum bringing back the tradition.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
This is McCullum's second one, although the first one did cover how to play 20-20, it did also cover the Andy Moles mutiny.

Overall though, a far cry from the glory days of the 90s, where every NZ player/coach/umpire (Steve Dunne, anyone?) and his dog was writing a tell-all memoir pretty much slagging off everyone else involved in the side.

Good to see McCullum bringing back the tradition.
Haha, I wasn't aware (had maybe forgotten) Steve Dunne had put one out. I do remember ex-coaches Turner & Howarth both put out books. The successful 80's side was particularly prolific, Hadlee (3x), Wright, Smith, Coney, Chatfield, Cairns, Edgar (kind of a coaching one), Crowe (3x), Morrison, Greatbatch.

The title for best effort at slagging everyone off must go to Rutherford's 'A Hell of a Way to Make a Living'. No doubt influenced by the fact it was written shortly after he was axed and decided to move to play in South Africa. Where players have gone out on a high they tend to be more diplomatic about past grievances.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I wasn't aware (had maybe forgotten) Steve Dunne had put one out. I do remember ex-coaches Turner & Howarth both put out books. The successful 80's side was particularly prolific, Hadlee (3x), Wright, Smith, Coney, Chatfield, Cairns, Edgar (kind of a coaching one), Crowe (3x), Morrison, Greatbatch.

The title for best effort at slagging everyone off must go to Rutherford's 'A Hell of a Way to Make a Living'. No doubt influenced by the fact it was written shortly after he was axed and decided to move to play in South Africa. Where players have gone out on a high they tend to be more diplomatic about past grievances.
Haha, yeah that book was absolutely dripping with bitterness towards Crowe in particular.

Hard to believe how shocking Ruds' test record is. Says a lot about the times that a guy who averaged mid-20's would not only play 50+ tests but also be the only viable candidate for captain and have a legitimate argument for having been shafted when he was dropped.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Scott Styris
Jacob Oram
Chris Martin
Kyle Mills

I'm sure Skippy's book would start off really well, then get really unreadable before you put it down for a while, and pick it up a few years later thinking "why didn't I finish that?" before putting it down a few pages later going "oh yeah, that's right."

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm sure Skippy's book would start off really well, then get really unreadable before you put it down for a while, and pick it up a few years later thinking "why didn't I finish that?" before putting it down a few pages later going "oh yeah, that's right."
Cribb is pre-ordering as we speak.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Scott Styris
Jacob Oram
Chris Martin
Kyle Mills

Not sure those names you mentioned were really household names in NZ sport (outside NZ cricketing circles) to sell that well. Although that said, Gavin Larsen did a book...:huh:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure those names you mentioned were really household names in NZ sport (outside NZ cricketing circles) to sell that well. Although that said, Gavin Larsen did a book...:huh:
Yeah, cricket used to be a bigger sport in the 80's/90's than it is now. I remember a Nielsen survey that did a survey of sporting interest in (I think) 2000 and compared it to 2012. In 2000, I think about 1/4 surveyed said they followed Cricket. The number was around 1/8 in 2012. I'm guessing publishers became aware of the declining interest over time.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone confirmed what McCullum ate for breakfast on the morning he made those hundreds which have been embedded into the thread?

NZTailender

Good to see your move to Auckland has knocked some sense into you.
Where have I ever professed a love for Speights though?

I cried when they discontinued Tasman bitter tho. Not because it was good, but because it was usually $18 for as many 440ml cans.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Tangents outscoring actual Declared-based dissection by quite a long way in this thread...

Haven't read the book, but can't wait to.

I find it interesting (not necessarily on here, more social media and the media itself) that people get bored ****less when someone writes a nothingness autobiog/biog (read messers Fleming, Vettori etc, and particularly Dan Carter - **** me that is a cure for insomnia that beats even death) but Brendon actually offers something that gives us insight and is of real interest value, and it's tantamount to ****ting on his mates. And apparently it's bad timing because Ross is on tour. There's no window for breaks these days let alone feelings not to be hurt though books.

On Ross, it's not totally his fault because he should never have been appointed but was because of John Wright's aversion to anything attached to risk and the Greatbatch factor etc. Wright/Taylor was a horrendous combination with a mixture of poor man management/communication skills. Ask any bowler under Ross (save for probably Southee) and they'll tell you how it felt to look up at 1st slip after a boundary was hit, and the body language/vitriol being served back. Brendon wasn't perfect but there are a couple of guys who would never have had international careers of any decent height had their captain been Ross Taylor.

And of course there's bias to a point in this book, how can anyone write something completely free from it? Brendon sees the world differently to a lot of us and I imagine has told it as such. I'm glad we're getting to see behind the curtain a bit more, because it's bloody rare now from sportspeople. If they want us to read their book, they should give us a reason to do so - not just recaps of games and moments we've already heard about.

NZTailender

He's released it at the wrong time.

By the time Christmas rolls around no one will care, and it'll already be discounted. 6 weeks too soon imo.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He's released it at the wrong time.

By the time Christmas rolls around no one will care, and it'll already be discounted. 6 weeks too soon imo.
Nah it's the perfect time for confused children and wives to pick it up when it's slightly discounted. Also you missed a great opportunity to say he "declared" too soon. Damn it Geg.