• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Umpiring

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey, I agree. I used to watch front foots at training sporadically and had no idea how umpires could hope to get that part right, let alone the decision 22 yards up at pace. Or as you say, with a screaming idiot in front of them incessantly demanding lbws bowling left-arm over with no discernible drift (Luke Ronchi says hi).

Still used to abuse the **** out of them, mind.

Flem274*

123/5
every descision ashocker de silva made was terrible

as for how to deal with screamers, it's easy. i've said this before - AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH is not an appeal it is a reaction of fear or pain/suffering. it's also annoying and even if the lbw is deader than mitchell johnson attempting to bowl to kane williamson or indian attempts at humour, the only correct decision is "not out" or "not out, you screaming ****".

for the definitive guide to how to appeal for a dismissal, refer to Howe Zats username. That's an appeal, a question for the umpire. Musfiqur Rahim or Ravindra Straightbreaker having an orgasm is a result.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, I admire Flem's work here and am flattered.

For our Kiwi friends, with the reality tv season having come to an end here, Mrs Burgey and I have taken to watching your marvelous offering "Police 10-7".

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Funniest tv I've seen in years.

Burgey

On topic, the worst umpire I've played under is a mate of mine, Doug. He'd be well into his late 60s now, but when I started playing senior cricket he was my captain.

Doug was, without question, the worst sledger I have ever played cricket with. His nickname was Sister Sledge. He was just a complete arsehole on the field to play with, let alone against. One time a bloke was on 99 and at the non strikers end when he picked up the ball to give it to Doug, who looked at the umpire and said "Howzat?" The ump said "You're ****ing kidding aren't you Doug?" ""No. howzat?" Of course the bloke had to go.

Once he became an umpire though, Doug decided sledging and not abiding by the spirit of he game was a hanging offence. He reports people if they look at him the wrong way. The game is always all about him. You roll the ball to him after a wicket, he just looks at it and leaves it on the ground because he reckons you should toss it to him so he doesn't have to bend over. Just a ****. On the weekend he umpired Burgeinho's rep game and upbraided the coach because there were "too many people on the field" at a drinks break giving drinks to Burgeinho and his skipper who were on the middle of a big partnership. Then the young bloke holes out for 60 odd in the third last over and Doug walks up to him at lunch and says "Hope your coach abused you for playing a **** shot".

Thing is, though, his decision making is good. Really good. He umpired first grade in Sydney and may have done a few 2nd XI games back when he first started. But he was known as the biggest **** on the grade circuit (no mean feat in itself).

When he first announced he was going to umpire, no one could believe it. I was having a beer with him after a game in his last season and he says "If you get hit on the pads you're ****ing gone. Don't care if it's out or not". Twelve years later I was batting and he was umpiring, I get hit on the thigh pad by a ball which pitched about eight inches outside leg. There's a stifled mumble from behind the stumps and this fat **** puts his finger straight up. Twelve years!! Talk about playing a long game. I'd even forgotten what he had said to me.

I walked off and looked up to give him a filthy look because i couldn't believe he'd make that sort of mistake, and he was just standing there with a massive ****-eating grin on his face.

WAC. Worst bloke ever.

Athlai

Not Terrible
On topic, the worst umpire I've played under is a mate of mine, Doug. He'd be well into his late 60s now, but when I started playing senior cricket he was my captain.

Doug was, without question, the worst sledger I have ever played cricket with. His nickname was Sister Sledge. He was just a complete arsehole on the field to play with, let alone against. One time a bloke was on 99 and at the non strikers end when he picked up the ball to give it to Doug, who looked at the umpire and said "Howzat?" The ump said "You're ****ing kidding aren't you Doug?" ""No. howzat?" Of course the bloke had to go.

Once he became an umpire though, Doug decided sledging and not abiding by the spirit of he game was a hanging offence. He reports people if they look at him the wrong way. The game is always all about him. You roll the ball to him after a wicket, he just looks at it and leaves it on the ground because he reckons you should toss it to him so he doesn't have to bend over. Just a ****. On the weekend he umpired Burgeinho's rep game and upbraided the coach because there were "too many people on the field" at a drinks break giving drinks to Burgeinho and his skipper who were on the middle of a big partnership. Then the young bloke holes out for 60 odd in the third last over and Doug walks up to him at lunch and says "Hope your coach abused you for playing a **** shot".

Thing is, though, his decision making is good. Really good. He umpired first grade in Sydney and may have done a few 2nd XI games back when he first started. But he was known as the biggest **** on the grade circuit (no mean feat in itself).

When he first announced he was going to umpire, no one could believe it. I was having a beer with him after a game in his last season and he says "If you get hit on the pads you're ****ing gone. Don't care if it's out or not". Twelve years later I was batting and he was umpiring, I get hit on the thigh pad by a ball which pitched about eight inches outside leg. There's a stifled mumble from behind the stumps and this fat **** puts his finger straight up. Twelve years!! Talk about playing a long game. I'd even forgotten what he had said to me.

I walked off and looked up to give him a filthy look because i couldn't believe he'd make that sort of mistake, and he was just standing there with a massive ****-eating grin on his face.

WAC. Worst bloke ever.
:laugh:

Burgey

Doug surpassed by the bloke who sawed me off lbw today then came off at the drinks break ten minutes later and said "Sorry mate, that was a terrible call". **** you and the car you drove here in.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Knew an older guy who played cricket at a decent level and he lived a couple of floors below in my apartment a few years ago. He swore that the former international umpire Venkatraghavan was the Virat Kohli of umpires when he officiated in local games back in the day. If you didn't immediately walk off after his decision, he called you every name in the book as you walked off in shame and sometimes even walked back up to the boundary rope with the departing batsman giving him an earful, swearing like a sailor while explaining why he was a **** bat. Would have paid to see that.:laugh:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Knew an older guy who played cricket at a decent level and he lived a couple of floors below in my apartment a few years ago. He swore that the former international umpire Venkatraghavan was the Virat Kohli of umpires when he officiated in local games back in the day. If you didn't immediately walk off after his decision, he called you every name in the book as you walked off in shame and sometimes even walked back up to the boundary rope with the departing batsman giving him an earful, swearing like a sailor while explaining why he was a **** bat. Would have paid to see that.:laugh:

watched a video that seems to suggest that the guy who lived two floors below me in the apartment was right about venkataraghavan lmao