• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gary Kirsten vs Justin Langer

Better test match batsman

• Gary Kirsten

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Justin Langer

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Shri

Mr. Glass
They both exactly average 45.27 in test cricket.

I don't know who is better but I like Kirsten better.

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah, their stats are very similar, SR and sixes being the only ones with significant gaps. I guess as openers the same average at a lower SR means that on average you would tend to see off the new ball better, which would put Kirsten in front. Also, there's the classic 'Langer didn't have to face McGrath & Warne'. So making my judgement on stats alone, I'd give Kirsten my vote but not by a huge margin. I can't really judge on any other basis as I only saw Langer in the '05 ashes (and in a random club game in a seaside town 45 minutes from where I live, that was a pleasant surprise) and never saw Kirsten bat and I'm not going to go trawling footage on youtube just for this.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Langer was an interesting one cos they faffed around with him at #3 for ages wanting him to be the new Boon, and he looked grafty and ugly and unconvincing. When they dropped Slater and threw him in to open with Hayden, he suddenly relished the responsibility and averaged 50 as an opener from then on at a much better clip. Suddenly he looked great. I think Mark Nicholas said once that Langer might be the most improved cricketer on the planet.

That was a pretty important time for Steve Waugh's team. Langer went up the order and his partnership with Hayden started, which also let Ponting go from 6 to 3. And a pretty powerful top order was formed.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kirsten the more consistent, Langer the more brutal on his day. Giving it to Kirsten overall but geez it's close.