• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your little superstitions whilst watching cricket

Bijed

International Regular
Now, I'm not a superstitious person in general, but cricket is obviously another matter altogether and I don't think I'm alone (I hope I'm not) in having a small list of bizarrely specific things I will do/avoid at all costs whilst following a cricket match out of the misplaced belief that they will influence the game. For example, in the 4th England v South Africa test earlier this year England were going well at around 210/3 approaching lunch, I went to take a shower and when I got back we were 215/6 or something, so now I will never shower when England are batting close to an interval.

Another thing would be that when Pakistan's 4th wicket went down in their 2nd innings in the 3rd test this year, "Don't Bring Me Down" by ELO came up on my playlist and Pakistan proceed to collapse, so if an opposition wicket goes down and I reckon we need another one quickly, I stick it on.

So I was basically curious as to if anyone does/doesn't do anything of a similar ilk, or if I'm alone in this oddness (which wouldn't surprise me)

EDIT: Also, how do you go about changing a thread title. The one word a cricket-forumite ought to be able to spell and I mess it up...

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I am returning from some interruption while watching the game, I will try to avoid opening the cricinfo scorecard and directly switch on the TV. Especially if I am cheering for the batting side during a tense chase.

Hate it when there are advertisements coming at that time.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm ridiculous with this **** tbh.

During the 2005 Ashes I was in the midst of a massive health kick and was off the booze. I didn't drink during any subsequent Ashes series until 2013.

I have a lucky England shirt that I always wear when they play, it means the 4 other (unlucky) ones are hanging up in my shed as they never get worn.

I like to bet on cricket, but I'll never ever bet against England.........this means I'm not very successful at it.

Bijed

International Regular
I'm ridiculous with this **** tbh.

During the 2005 Ashes I was in the midst of a massive health kick and was off the booze. I didn't drink during any subsequent Ashes series until 2013.

I have a lucky England shirt that I always wear when they play, it means the 4 other (unlucky) ones are hanging up in my shed as they never get worn.

I like to bet on cricket, but I'll never ever bet against England.........this means I'm not very successful at it.
Must have been difficult not to give in during the 06/07 series, I bet

indiaholic

International Captain
If I stopped watching a game for whatever reason and when I check the score on cricinfo and realize that the team is doing well, I tend to continue following it on cricinfo rather than switching on the telly.

vcs

If I am returning from some interruption while watching the game, I will try to avoid opening the cricinfo scorecard and directly switch on the TV. Especially if I am cheering for the batting side during a tense chase.

If I stopped watching a game for whatever reason and when I check the score on cricinfo and realize that the team is doing well, I tend to continue following it on cricinfo rather than switching on the telly.
You just reversed my superstition. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I never did until I bought a large Indian flag at Adelaide before the 2015 WC India vs. Pakistan match. Kohli tonned up and India won. I then took it to the India vs. Saffers game at the MCG which India also won. Also took it to the Bangladesh QF game at the MCG which India won. I began to believe in that flag and took it with me to Sydney for the semi final vs. Australia. Kohli then got out hooking and Dhoni played the most confusing knock ever and India got belted..

****ing flag.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach

ahha wow I thought i was the only one who did that bizarre bit of behaviour.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I never did until I bought a large Indian flag at Adelaide before the 2015 WC India vs. Pakistan match. Kohli tonned up and India won. I then took it to the India vs. Saffers game at the MCG which India also won. Also took it to the Bangladesh QF game at the MCG which India won. I began to believe in that flag and took it with me to Sydney for the semi final vs. Australia. Kohli then got out hooking and Dhoni played the most confusing knock ever and India got belted..

****ing flag.
harsh on Dhoni...Rahane's slow knock was more responsible for that loss. By the time Rahane got out, Dhoni was facing an uphill task

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
harsh on Dhoni...Rahane's slow knock was more responsible for that loss. By the time Rahane got out, Dhoni was facing an uphill task
I think you misunderstand the post/thread............it was the ****ing flags fault ok.

#Jono, but looking on the bright side, you were present for 3 Indian victories so you overcame the previous curse/superstition.

Burgey

****ing flag.
Did you burnan effigy of that flag?

When Burgeinho is batting at reps, I always do the scoring. Last year that meant I didn't have to do it for long. Yesterday I did it for quite some time.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I nap in front of the tv for any Australia test I can catch, or watch through a wilting eye, and pay attention only for the replays after I have heard loud cheering. If I watch it with both eyes open, Australia collapse

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I went to bed on Sunday night, elated and proud. All I wanted was this template 1st Test: Australia v Pakistan at Melbourne, Jan 12-16, 1990 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo and I got much more than that. My favourite batsman, who no one rates, no one remembers, who goes unnoticed in his own team, unfortunate to play for a country who would laud Afridi and dismiss his kind of players, had just scored the gutsiest hundred I ever saw.
I woke up on Monday morning, telling myself, I got more than I had hoped for..they fought so hard..I am so proud of them.. The result is irrelevant now.

I coincided my lunch break to start when the cricket starts. I go to the break area, turn on the TV and as it's already started. I don't get a chance to even find a seat. I am standing and staring at the TV. I watch the first hour. But that's the limit of the freedom a slave gets today. My 1 hour of free time is up. I spend the last 1 hour standing, as Shafiq and Yasir have put up a 50 + partnership, looking as comfortable as ever. I see Yasir survive the lbw call on review. I see Shafiq play some glorious punches through the off side. I can't help but hope for the unthinkable now.

But my hour is up..which means my position of standing next to the TV is about to change. My Indian colleagues warn me.. "Don't move from your place now..if you move a wicket will fall". But I have to move because I am slave and my free hour is up. I move. I walk back to my work station. I log onto Cricinfo. Within 5 minutes Shafiq is out.

It's been 2 days now and it's still ****ing hurting me despite my oath in the morning.