• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Niall

International Coach
Yeah, agree completely. Scores boundaries and singles so easily early on but he's not very good at power hitting when the situation demands it. Having a slog isn't working for him imo he needs to play around a bit with the crease and field.
18th Match, Super 10 Group 1: England v South Africa at Mumbai, Mar 18, 2016 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

That match would disagree with you. This t20 series hasn't been his best moment, but overall he has bee pretty good in the format for last few years. Talk about whether his place in the side isn't fair at the moment.

Bijed

International Regular
Its never ever going to happen, and its dull that people are talking about it.

P.S Best to ignore Piers Morgan, a tremendous bore if their ever was one.:)
Haha, I nearly always ignore him by default :) Just surprised to see him still going on about this

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
My impression is that Root's really only got mid-wicket to head to for a six - his technique doesn't really let him extend through the line of the ball back over the bowler's head or over cover. Does a lot of damage square of the wicket. It can make him easier to bowl to when you know it's "go time".

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, you must have seen them a lot more than I have but I dont ever really recall thinking Hales is good, he seems to suck most times I have seen him play and I still think Jennings can prove people wrong as a LO player. IIRC, he made his mark as an opener in LO forms for Durham, right, before he became their FC opener?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hales's record in T20 cricket is still pretty awesome. Might be more of a case for finding someone better in ODIs, but in T20s it'd be silly to drop him IMO.

91Jmay

International Coach
Well, you must have seen them a lot more than I have but I dont ever really recall thinking Hales is good, he seems to suck most times I have seen him play and I still think Jennings can prove people wrong as a LO player. IIRC, he made his mark as an opener in LO forms for Durham, right, before he became their FC opener?
Jennings bats like 8 in T20s. He is a pony white ball player

Hales also is a very good T20 player and scored 171 5 ODIs ago.

Burner

International Regular
Even in ODIs, Hales has had one bad series in India after the previous series where he smashed a career best 170 against Pakistan. Still averaging 36 at 94 sr. Why would anyone drop an opener like that? Apart from it being very harsh on Hales, it is also going to pretty stupid.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah there is no question about Hales in twenty20 and it would be really harsh to drop him from the 50 over side, but given that he is injured I would like them to try this is in West Indies:

Roy
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Morgan
Billings

As others have mentioned I don't really understand the Billings opening things, his strengths are really at the end of an innings. Stokes has improved hugely at 5 but still think 3 would be perfect for him and we want Buttler higher up.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jennings' first really eye catching T20 innings was on Finals Day last year.

I wouldn't try him in T20Is. In the past England would definitely have groomed him for Tests by playing him ODIs (which is a bit nonsensical but there you go). Having him open as a stop-gap whilst someone out injured is feasible. I'd be letting him focus on Test cricket and establishing himself there. If he plays in ODIs it should be just about getting some high level cricket and not getting too involved in that setup just yet.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
England struggled badly on this tour. They couldn't win 1 series. No team that tours India from now on should be playing more than 3 tests in India, and that includes Pakistan. India's batting has been outstanding to say the least.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
England struggled badly on this tour. They couldn't win 1 series. No team that tours India from now on should be playing more than 3 tests in India, and that includes Pakistan. India's batting has been outstanding to say the least.
things stay the same forever.