• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad and Anderson will be good in English conditions. Surely they must be picked.

91Jmay

International Coach
Broad is ****ing pony white ball bowler. No idea why we are revising history on him.

Morgan has also used his bowlers terribly and the team selection is ****e.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
What a great call Plunkett for Rashid was.

Are we really talking about going back to Broad and Anderson? All eyes should be on the home World Cup in 2 years, it would be an incredibly regressive move to go back to our 2015 bowling attack now after they were so poor a while ago. English ODI pitches are flat as hell these days anyway. We don't lack for One Day opening bowlers, which is all Jimmy was good for, and Broad always had a high economy rate whilst his ability to take wickets waned over the years. Definitely not the way to go.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah 4 seamers in India is a laughable decision.

Team selections across formats have been very poor under Bayliss, wonder when he starts to feel a bit of pressure.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah 4 seamers in India is a laughable decision.

Team selections across formats have been very poor under Bayliss, wonder when he starts to feel a bit of pressure.
If we're having the same discussions in a year's time, that's when he feels the pressure. You'd think that jagging the 2015 Ashes when no one expected it buys him a fair amount of time.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
jimmy should 110% be picked for the 2019 world cup.
We don't have a problem with opening bowlers. Jimmy was pointless past the 20 over mark. Not only would it not solve our problems but it would be the classic regressive move we always make leading into another World Cup.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
We'll either get close to this or be bowled out for under 200, such is the way these things tend to go.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
English fielding hasn't been especially good for years now. Even in the Flower peak years, England weren't an amazing catching and ground fielding side.
It was better than what we see now.

Certainly a slip cordon of Strauss, Swann and Collingwood was streets ahead of the current lineup.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
We don't have a problem with opening bowlers. Jimmy was pointless past the 20 over mark. Not only would it not solve our problems but it would be the classic regressive move we always make leading into another World Cup.
fella please.

since the last world cup these are how our opening bowlers have performed at home...

willey 21 @ 29, 5.73 econ
woakes 14 @ 36, 5.18 econ
finn 12 @35, 5.94 econ
wood 11 @ 50, 5.88 econ

since the 2011 world cup, at home jimmy has taken 40 @ 23, econ of 4.52.

i wouldn't play him in overseas odi matches but **** me, he is absolutely streets ahead of the tools we're fielding at the moment. i'd put money on him outperforming them all in 2019 as well.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
We'll either get close to this or be bowled out for under 200, such is the way these things tend to go.
I suspect we're ****ed, but that'll happen more often than not given the state of our bowling.

At least it's only a 3 match series, isn't it?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
fella please.

since the last world cup these are how our opening bowlers have performed at home...

willey 21 @ 29, 5.73 econ
woakes 14 @ 36, 5.18 econ
finn 12 @35, 5.94 econ
wood 11 @ 50, 5.88 econ

since the 2011 world cup, at home jimmy has taken 40 @ 23, econ of 4.52.

i wouldn't play him in overseas odi matches but **** me, he is absolutely streets ahead of the tools we're fielding at the moment. i'd put money on him outperforming them all in 2019 as well.
So you're comparing players' stats from the past two years, where ODI scores have been higher by a distance than ever before, with one player's stats from the four years previous. Presumably they are also stats from the whole innings as opposed to the opening spells. All of those bowlers, Willey and Woakes especially, have been required to bowl at the death, which Jimmy rarely ever did.

I don't think stats are likely to tell the full story here. The point is, what we don't require as of this moment is yet another bowler who can start their spell economically, or like Willey take early wickets, before being useless in the middle and death overs, leaving the burden on the other four main bowlers. That's what Jimmy will do. He isn't what we need right now.

centurymaker

International Captain
Dhoni is well past his use by date, needs to be thrown out of the team, currently playing a typical 50-60 sr innings.
Glad he finally did well and batted long.

But still not totally convinced due to his overall scratchiness and lack of finding the gaps to rotate the strike.

He's clearly not the same player he was a few yrs back, but if he can bat long, he can be handy indeed because he'll more often than not rectify his low sr.