• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Vastly more bowler friendly. You are not really losing the series due to the batting anyways. Has been quite decent overall.
Nah it's down to our batting. Our bowling was always gonna be crap.

We had the best of the batting 4 times and yet your lot were the ones making the huge scores.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It isn't a zero sum game. Batting failed at crucial times, bowling was pathetic with runs on the board.

indiaholic

International Captain
Don't think the toss mattered too much tbh. Both teams faced similar conditions. If your spinners had more control like say Swann and Panesar did, you would be in a much much better place.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
There was a lot of talk yesterday about how Kohli had missed a trick by declaring too late and that he should have declared at 150, 180 or 200 ahead max!

But very few realized that 180/200 would not have been a big enough lead to restrict England under! Therefore Kohli would've had to not only worry about picking wickets but also restricting runs!!! And that's where he wouldn't have had the freedom to have plenty of catchers around the bat like he did now.

280 ahead was just about a perfect lead to take runs out of the equation & basically force England to bat out 100+ overs. And if it got close, India could always bowl heaps more overs towards the end, especially in the final hour with Jadeja & co..

If anything all those 'quick' runs by Nair towards the end of the innings really helped imo. They saved time, brought freedom to Kohli in his captaincy, and I guess there was scoreboard pressure and just mental integration of having conceded 759!
(Those extra 80 runs vs another 10 overs at the openers last night).

Shri

Mr. Glass
Everyone grilling Jono about his image sources, type in 'Virat Kohli fashion' in Google image search. Doucheiest of douches to ever douche.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The thing with Kohli's declaration was that 100 overs was always going to be enough to bowl England out a 2nd time, so batting really big and scoring runs would be easiest against a tired, demoralised attack than it would be on day 5 in fading light.

10 overs to score say 70 to win would probably be chasable more often than not, however you'd rather score the 70 runs on day 4 when you've got a bloke on 200 seeing it like a beachball.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Don't think the toss mattered too much tbh. Both teams faced similar conditions. If your spinners had more control like say Swann and Panesar did, you would be in a much much better place.
Yeah but we knew that before coming and picked 3 other **** spinners too. Our batting needed to be better than yours to win a game here.

It wasn't we got humiliated.

I will give Rashid plenty of credit when many aren't mind.

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain
Yeah but we knew that before coming and picked 3 other **** spinners too. Our batting needed to be better than yours to win a game here.

It wasn't we got humiliated.

I will give Rashid plenty of credit when many aren't mind.
Before the series began I assumed that England's path to victory would be built around a crazy spell of reverse swing from Stokes or Broad where we would fall in a heap. Tiny bit surprised that it didn't happen.

indiaholic

International Captain
The thing with Kohli's declaration was that 100 overs was always going to be enough to bowl England out a 2nd time, so batting really big and scoring runs would be easiest against a tired, demoralised attack than it would be on day 5 in fading light.

10 overs to score say 70 to win would probably be chasable more often than not, however you'd rather score the 70 runs on day 4 when you've got a bloke on 200 seeing it like a beachball.
I honestly did not think this was true on this pitch.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
If anything all those 'quick' runs by Nair towards the end of the innings really helped imo. They saved time, brought freedom to Kohli in his captaincy, and I guess there was scoreboard pressure and just mental integration of having conceded 759!
(Those extra 80 runs vs another 10 overs at the openers last night).
This was amazing. Chasing a landmark like 300, Karun Nair and Jadeja added 159 in the last 21 overs so. On this kind of a pitch that too after batting for 7-8 hours. And with defensive bowling lines and 6 men on the boundary. Mind boggling stuff from Nair.

Spark

Global Moderator

Yeah I was actually expecting something very much like this to happen and was very surprised when I saw England had put on a hundred without loss.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I honestly did not think this was true on this pitch.
It's the nature of cricket in the subcontinent though. When pitches go, they go quickly.

Pretty sure there was a Test against the West Indies on the Tendulkar Farewell Series (might have been the one that was drawn with the scores tied) that was an absolute snoozefest for 4 days then all of a sudden 19 wickets went down on the last day. That sort of thing always plays on a batsman's mind. 100 overs in those circumstances is a long time to survive.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's the nature of cricket in the subcontinent though. When pitches go, they go quickly.

Pretty sure there was a Test against the West Indies on the Tendulkar Farewell Series (might have been the one that was drawn with the scores tied) that was an absolute snoozefest for 4 days then all of a sudden 19 wickets went down on the last day. That sort of thing always plays on a batsman's mind. 100 overs in those circumstances is a long time to survive.
1st Test in the UAE in the Pakistan vs England series not too long back comes to mind too.

indiaholic

International Captain

Yeah but even today the pitch didn't really go.. I understand that England would be mentally shot after a long series but most of the shot selection in the last innings wasn't what you would expect from a team trying to save a test match.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yep unlike most of the series, today it was english batsmen commiting harakiri.

Cook's dismissal was flabbergastingly bad. Nicked a delivery 1 foot down the leg side to leg slip.