• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
AZH - 50
Shri - 45
Bijed - 40
Cabinet - 38
morgieb - 36
indiaholic - 35
weldone - 34
cricaddict - 33
Jono - 31
Mw1304 - 29
smali - 28
Flibberty - 27
Daemon - 25
Furball 14
fertang 4

smali wins. Me and flibs off by one. I blame Indian fielding for my loss.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
What is probably alarming from English perspective is that pretty much all batsmen put in their stuff. It's not like any of them had a shocker of a series, probably barring Duckett who never really should have been there. See in 2014, Kohli, such a key batsman, had a horrid series averaging just 13 or 14 odd.

At least five English batsmen aggregated over 340 runs in this series, Four of them averaged over 40 with the bat which is not gash at all. However the telling fact remains that none of them averaged over 50, or went onto convert good starts into match-defining innings. Root in particular. He looked so set for a big one but flattered to deceive. This I believe talks more of the mental strength of the batsmen to persevere and just grind it out in the middle than anything.

The lesser said about the bowlers the better. Gash. Utter. Filth. There is not ONE established bowler who averaged below 30. Heart goes out to Broad who despite all his injuries put in a lion hearted effort. Anderson on the other hand really needs some introspection. As the lead bowler heading a relatively inexperienced attack, he should've led the way from the front with his performances. Well he did, with his foul mouth which only egged on the Indians to do better. Besides he is way too 'cocooned' bowled just 79 overs in the whole series and took 4 wickets @ 54. Not good at all.

Stokes was hailed as superman but was hardly utilized by Cook.

And the spinners. I hope England really sit up and understand that they need a proper spinner not someone like Moeen Ali to lead their attack. Rashid tried his best but that's the maximum he could hope to achieve in India.

Seven of their bowlers (who delivered more than 40 overs in the series) ended up with an average of 40, with six of them over 50 - that's a telling statistic.

Compton

International Debutant
Talking about Cook dropping the captaincy makes sense.

Talking about Cook not opening the batting is ludicrous. He's still England's best opener. Jennings scoring a ton on debut doesn't change that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
King Kohli's decision to take the new ball - WAG

Speaking of King Kohli, Furball this is your new avatar for the next 6 months commencing tomorrow:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Also people are going bullish on Hameed and Jennings too quick too early imo. India (and subcontinent by extension) is one place where opening is relatively easier. Batting against the new cherry against a set of pace bowlers who are there largely to take the shine off, on benign pitches (for pace bowling) is much easier.

This is why I think Cook would've ideally been better at no.3 than no.1.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Also: please crop that **** and make it actually nice and visible.

The avatars here are horrendous. Most of y'all need a lesson in aspect ratios.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'd agree with those who are saying that whether Cook bats 3 or opens isn't really a big issue. Something to be discussed between the players involved and coaches but not a huge issue. The only thing I'd say is that Jennings hasn't been particularly convincing against pace so I'm not really convinced he'll work out long term - and so it might be worth persisting with Cook as opener so we don't have to change back in 10 tests

Burner

International Regular
India won with plenty of time to spare, eh. Should have let Nair break Lara's 400, create some distance between him and Lara, and then bowl 10 overs and roll England over. The less overs England have to face, the more brain-farty they get anyway.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Also people are going bullish on Hameed and Jennings too quick too early imo. India (and subcontinent by extension) is one place where opening is relatively easier. Batting against the new cherry against a set of pace bowlers who are there largely to take the shine off, on benign pitches (for pace bowling) is much easier.

This is why I think Cook would've ideally been better at no.3 than no.1.
Not convinced by Jennings but Hameed is class. Has the temperament for tests and will do well in the future in most conditions.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Apologies. Best I could do.

There's too much empty space in the photograph.
Thanks Agent, it'll do fine.

Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks