• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Not many in here agreed with me last night but bloody right he got sawn off. Really poor application of the DRS by the 3rd umpire IMO.
Quit the bias, clearly out..
if it had been kohli, you are the first one here who would've been fuming if he'd not been given OUT!

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Can anyone work out the best 100 count after 50 tests. I know it's Bradman, but interesting to know who were the next lot.

Cos Root really could have had 20 by this stage.
Probably not, if he had scored a 100 in last game, he probably wouldn't have been as motivated & desperate to score this time around.

The fact that he's scoring.. almost consecutive 60s 70s 80s is because there is a burning desire in him at the moment to make a 100.
(He's not slacking off and getting out cheaply at all).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not many in here agreed with me last night but bloody right he got sawn off. Really poor application of the DRS by the 3rd umpire IMO.
I haven't seen it yet, but judging from the reaction here and cricinfo's commentary on it;

Jadeja to Root, OUT, big appeal from Jadeja. Kohli thinks and thinks and reviews. So much doubt in the review decision. Flat and wide from Jadeja, Root gets low and sweeps. Is there bat on ball? Or bat on ground? One very discernible spike on UltraEdge. Looked like the spike was at a time when the bat was in the air, which is why the third umpire has changed the decision. The difference in time between the bat hitting the ground and the ball passing the bat was so less that there could have been a slight time lag. Or it was just bat on ground and then bat on ball. But there was just one spike on Ultra Edge. So it was either bat on ground or on ball. Root is not happy at all. There was bat on ground too. A successful review from India. That's interesting. It was also so thin that Root may not have felt the edge.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't seen it yet, but judging from the reaction here and cricinfo's commentary on it;

Jadeja to Root, OUT, big appeal from Jadeja. Kohli thinks and thinks and reviews. So much doubt in the review decision. Flat and wide from Jadeja, Root gets low and sweeps. Is there bat on ball? Or bat on ground? One very discernible spike on UltraEdge. Looked like the spike was at a time when the bat was in the air, which is why the third umpire has changed the decision. The difference in time between the bat hitting the ground and the ball passing the bat was so less that there could have been a slight time lag. Or it was just bat on ground and then bat on ball. But there was just one spike on Ultra Edge. So it was either bat on ground or on ball. Root is not happy at all. There was bat on ground too. A successful review from India. That's interesting. It was also so thin that Root may not have felt the edge.
He a bit later on in the commentary clarified.. that it was out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJLLqsgUcQU

And here's a YouTube video of Jadeja's wickets, including the one of Root.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can we make it a rule that only batsmen who can get past the 80s and actually score tons can be part of the fab four?

Zinzan

He a bit later on in the commentary clarified.. that it was out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJLLqsgUcQU

And here's a YouTube video of Jadeja's wickets, including the one of Root.
Thanks mate. Honestly guys, after seeing that, I'm struggling to see what the fuss is about tbh, that's consistent with other DRS interpretations I've seen in the last year or so, a snicko line comes up right as it's passing the bat and it's clearly not the bat hitting the ground and there was no clear daylight between bat and ball. Seemed fair enough to overturn for me assuming we're actually utilizing the technology. KW got given out in similar circumstances recently from a snicko line, but his was thinner than that, and only 1 spike. IIRC.

What am I missing?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks mate. Honestly guys, after seeing that, I'm struggling to see what the fuss is about tbh, that's consistent with other DRS interpretations I've seen in the last year or so, a snicko line comes up right as it's passing the bat and it's clearly not the bat hitting the ground and there was no clear daylight between bat and ball. Seemed fair enough to overturn for me assuming we're actually utilizing the technology. KW got given out in similar circumstances recently from a snicko line, but his was thinner than that, and only 1 spike. IIRC.

What am I missing?
Pure bias and just "imagining" things, including the cricinfo commentator (initially).

I guess they wanted Root to score a 100, more than Root himself, because he has come out & more or less accepted the decision by Technology (in his interview). Whereas these other guys are still imagining things.

It's funny actually lol.

Zinzan

Pure bias and just "imagining" things, including the cricinfo commentator (initially).

I guess they wanted Root to score a 100, more than Root himself, because he has come out & more or less accepted the decision by Technology (in his interview). Whereas these other guys are still imagining things.
Yeah well I wanted Rooty to ton up too, but that looked out to me.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah well I wanted Rooty to ton up too, but that looked out to me.
When one 'clings' to a desire and the desire is not fulfilled, it usually leads to a negative reaction. Anger, frustration come up.. And if at that point the Mind can see an excuse, it quickly grabs onto it to justify the unfavourable outcome..

It all depends on the strength of the desire.. i.e. how badly you wanted something or were expecting something..

Zinzan

Well yeah, unconscious bias in sports is pretty well understood, we all tend to gravitate that way tbf, and sometimes need to check ourselves.

Zinzan

Is Jimmy Wahhhnderson injured or rested?
Soreness by all reports, which I think means rested.

Perhaps after his pretty unflattering comments about Kohli effectively implying he's a hometrack bully coupled with the fact it's tough conditions for his bowling (i'm not whether he's sees the irony himself) & of course it's a dead rubber were all factors.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Can anyone work out the best 100 count after 50 tests. I know it's Bradman, but interesting to know who were the next lot.

Cos Root really could have had 20 by this stage.
Bradman had 28, I think Gavaskar is second with 20, and Hayden third with 17.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sounds like Root got sawn-off his Hundred. Wouldn't put it past him tonning up in the 2nd dig though.

EDIT: Nvm. Been discussed to death.

Gotta say this pitch looks more and more like Rajkot. Maybe coz of the limited time to prepare they went for the black soil track than the red soil one like Akash Chopra is saying but man I would rather see more red soil tracks in India, even at the risk of every fan outside India waaaahing about it being a bunsen or a turner. They produce much better cricket than these tracks like Rajkot or Chennai does.

Last edited: